The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

For all the people calling for Green, if you were a Willie-hater you're likely in for a big surprise -- by all accounts, they are very similar in their methods and deployments.  @UticaHockey can confirm.

Offer Green an assistant role. Let him run the PK or some defensive systems. I agree that he'd be Willie 2.0 in terms of style of play.

There is no doubt that Willie Desjardins is a tremendous person, but it became evident that he was not the right fit for this team. His inability to change his coaching strategies based on situations within the game (ex. line matching), his loyalty towards the veterans of the group despite their poor play, and his constant deployment of career AHLers over other choices was his downfall.

He may have been more successful if we had a healthy team, but two years at the bottom of the league will get you fired no matter where you're coaching. However, there is no doubt that he had a huge part in the development of Sven Baertschi, Bo Horvat, Markus Granlund, Nikita Tryamkin, and some of the other young guys. 

Best of luck to him where ever he goes next.

3 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Yes please!! Well at least till they find their new whipping boy ;). Can almost hear the hand wringing from here 

Reality is -- this fan base CANNOT HANDLE A REBUILD.  They expect immediate results and when they aren't there they immediately look for scapegoats.  Even game to game.

We've missed the playoffs two straight seasons and three of the last four.  Just imagine if we were Edmonton, 10 straight?  Think this place is unbearable now... then again, that much failure might whinge-exhaust the complainers and clear the place out.

Hm. Don't know if that's the right move. Probably depends on who you get as Willie's replacement. I don't really want to see Green up here. He's got a similar coaching style to Willie and if you bring him in you just could've kept Willie. The players seemed to like Willie and despite his questionable deployment at times he helped to bring in and develop players like Bo, Bärtschi, Granlund, Tryamkin, Stecher, Hutton...

Guess we'll see.

1 minute ago, yes we can nucks said:

I would hesitate to replace a rookie NHL coach with another Green one.  Hire one with NHL experience and (somewhat) proven success.

I would think they will get a proven nhl coach, if they went with another ahl coach it could put Benning's job on the line if it doesn't work out.

15 minutes ago, Robongo said:

The easy scapegoat. As awful as Willie is as a coach, Benning is just as bad as GM and frankly there should be far more pitchforks aimed his way than there are currently. Guess he bought himself another year by doing this.

Honestly, I think Benning is doing a fine job. Canucks fans are just never happy..

26 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

One down, one to go.....cough, cough...Linden...cough

Indeed!  Linden seems like  a quality  person, but not quality  for the Canucks at present.  Goodbye  Linden! 

New coach- Mr Gallant!

Hated the hiring, glad for the firing.

It was a rookie management decision by Linden and Benning to hire this guy, they played it safe and it backfired. Hopefully they will bring in some actual NHL head coaching experience this time.

Poor guy. He made some poor deployment decisions this team is miles away from a playoff contender even with the right moves. The state of the franchise is not his fault whatsoever yet he pays the price. Over a decade of poor drafting and player development is the reason we are here today. When the twins retire, the passing of the reigns will be given to Bo, who is 14-15 years younger than them. That just goes to show you right there how bad this team has been in those departments when there's literally nobody else to take over the role of the twins when they leave town.

With all that said, I hope management has some ideal candidates lined up and not just firing him for the sake of firing him.

Just now, JoesRooster said:

Honestly, I think Benning is doing a fine job. Canucks fans are just never happy..

If we didn't have Baertschi and Granlund, we would be worse than Colorado. Those two trades have been big wins so far.

The only real noticeable issue with personnel has been Virtanen... and maybe Guddy.

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He's the sacrificial lamb to quell the torch and pitchfork fans. I was hoping he'd get another season to see how he does with some actual young offensive forwards available instead of the Skille and Chaput type spot fillers he's had the past two years.

2 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

There is no doubt that Willie Desjardins is a tremendous person, but it became evident that he was not the right fit for this team. His inability to change his coaching strategies based on situations within the game (ex. line matching), his loyalty towards the veterans of the group despite their poor play, and his constant deployment of career AHLers over other choices was his downfall.

He may have been more successful if we had a healthy team, but two years at the bottom of the league will get you fired no matter where you're coaching. However, there is no doubt that he had a huge part in the development of Sven Baertschi, Bo Horvat, Markus Granlund, Nikita Tryamkin, and some of the other young guys. 

Best of luck to him where ever he goes next.

Yeah I was hoping to see him finish off his last year too, and not with an injury-riddled season like the last two.  Not entirely fair to him, but unfortunately that's the way the business goes.  He'll find another job, alright.

Archived