The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

In his 5 years with utica 3 of those will finish 24th or worst in goals for per team. That doesn't scream offensive minded coach to me.

Stetcher didn't have many points in his short stint. 

I think horvat had 0 pts in 10 games. 

Virtanen is struggling to find the scoreboard. 

To be fair, he hasn't had much real offensive talent to work with. Particularly of the primary/creating variety. 

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Lmao you were whining about Hitch being hard on players... get over it. If they did hire hime it is a better team already. 

You're clueless.  Hitchcock has a mile long track record of screwing up developing young players.  Ask Nikita Filatov.  He's a great coach.  I just don't want him coaching this club.  His style of hockey is boring as ****.

He has done alot of good for some young guys, but he's also ruined others.

Babcock would have finished bottom 5 with this roster too.  When half of your team belongs in the AHL it wont matter who coaches.

That said Willie did some bizarre things, and a change was needed.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

no they're allowed to go, and you still gotta pay out but the amount depends on the individual contract. In this case Willie's salary was never made public so I highly doubt it was over 1 mil per so no biggie.

why would the Canucks have to pay a coach who's employed elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

The problem is that in this day and age in a hockey mad market, 24hr sports coverage, social media and internet access with all you can eat info, people will have a difficult time being patient during a rebuild. In the earlier days it would have easier to take as Canucks talk/info wouldn't have been so widely available, except around the water cooler and the daily newspaper.

I think a lot of people are totally ok with a rebuild. We just want to see some sort of plan and a consistent sense of direction. The communication from staff and management has been a mess and with all the mixed messages and odd moves nobody really knows what's happening. It's the sense of waffling that irks people. 

Give us a clear path and we'll be all in. 

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Oh thats too bad. Lidster did a great job with Tryamkin. My seats last year were right over top of the bench and I could see Doug talking to Nikita after every single shift and you could see the improvement in him almost game to game.

Interesting that Jarvis was spared. Seems like Jarvis with the extensive associate NHL coaching experience may be the next head coach, and Green as an associate at the NHL level.

I really do want either Gallant or Crow though if I'm being perfectly honest, but I think Jarvis might be good, I just don't know enough about him.

52 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Unofficial poll.

Jarvis or Green?

Neither.

We see who becomes available, we pick a veteran coach this time.

So far the candidate list is probably Crawford, Ruff, Hitchcock

i think one of the most important things a new coach will have to do is to mold Tryamkin into something.  I don't remember a player with such a wide variety of possible tiles and styles of play ahead of him.

He could mimic any of Chara, big Buff, Pronger, Jovanovski, Hal Gill, or something entirely unique.

Most other players, you know what type they are... just have to see how good a version of it they will become.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So if Willie gets another head coaching job next year, do we get a pick like we did with Torts?

Nope. NHL stopped that last year if I recall. We were one of the last teams to receive that type of compensation.

1 minute ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

why would the Canucks have to pay a coach who's employed elsewhere?

because its a contract for "x" number of years for "$X" cash. They still have to pay you whatever your negotiated in the management contract.

Archived