The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Will wait to hear the rationale from management, but a questionable move IMO.

The one benefit for now -- it will finally shut up the incessant moaning, groaning, and whinging of the reactionary element of this fanbase.

Yes please!! Well at least till they find their new whipping boy ;). Can almost hear the hand wringing from here 

Just now, Alflives said:

An defense of another of the Alf clan memeber, did Stonker ever say Willie wasn't going to be fired?  I thought he stood on his personal belief Willie shouldn't be fired?

No he was quite condescending toward people about it. In his usual "I know it won't happen" attitude. Looks good on him to be honest. There are not many people on here I genuinely dislike for how they degrade people instead of arguing rationally against their ideas. He is one of them. Has a lot of good points to talk about but completely overshadows it with a holier than thou attitude.

14 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

He was a nice guy, actually talked to him a couple times after practices at UBC.  Just wasn't the right fit for this team.

Yeah, I met him at one of the Canucks Autism Network Sports Days. Was extremely nice and patient with my son....then ran into him the next day at Starbucks at YVR. Very nice guy, just not the right coach for us.

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Will wait to hear the rationale from management, but a questionable move IMO.

The one benefit for now -- it will finally shut up the incessant moaning, groaning, and whinging of the reactionary element of this fanbase.

He's the sacrificial lamb to quell the torch and pitchfork fans. I was hoping he'd get another season to see how he does with some actual young offensive forwards available instead of the Skille and Chaput type spot fillers he's had the past two years.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not saying that their heads are on the chopping block. Now, with firing Willie, the onus is on them to bring in a coach that will get the most out of the team and manage the new core.

So long as people (rabid fans/media) realize that 'most out of the team' is likely to equal another bottom 10 finish next year without a HUGE helping of luck.

That has been one of funniest/stupidest commentaries with "Willie Watch' this year. We're in arguably one of the deepest low points of the rebuild and people are blathering on about how the coach can't miss the playoffs 2 out of 3 years as though we had anything resembling a contending team.

2 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

Willie did himself no favors by publicly questioning JB's decisions on players coming up and going down.

Yep,

in corporate world insubordination is a taboo an almost always results in dismissal.

I hope they can land Gallant.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Poor guy.  

People cheering on his unemployment is just sad to see

Lol he's an NHL coach - he will bounce back and he will make a hell of a lot more than the rest of us if we were unemployed. He knew the risks - no sympathy here man sorry.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, not sure that's realistic though. Also hoping that remaining within the organization that has been kind enough to employ him might be a draw. Plus, chances are we'll have a head coaching position open in another couple years :lol:

2 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Travis Green, you're up my man!

For all the people calling for Green, if you were a Willie-hater you're likely in for a big surprise -- by all accounts, they are very similar in their methods and deployments.  @UticaHockey can confirm.

• -SN- featured this topic
3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In defense of another of the Alf clan memeber, did Stonker ever say Willie wasn't going to be fired?  I thought he stood on his personal belief Willie shouldn't be fired?

Haha, I don't know. All I know is he/she was a fierce Willie defender to the end. I'm looking forward to this team improving by leaps and bounds next year, but of course Alfstonker will find a way to give all credit to Willie next year.

8 minutes ago, b3. said:

He knew it was coming, he lasted 3 years here, which it seems like is a long time for a coach in the league nowadays.

Nothing personal Willie, but your deployment was garbage. Good luck in Dallas.

Ditto.  But Dallas?  Has he done enough to get another shot with a different team?

Just now, Baggins said:

He's the sacrificial lamb to quell the torch and pitchfork fans. I was hoping he'd get another season to see how he does with some actual young offensive forwards available instead of the Skille and Chaput type spot fillers he's had the past two years.

Definitely partially true. That's the business though. Selling his style and deployment decisions for another year would be tough and I am sure this is as much about resetting fans patience levels than an indictment by management of the total job he actually did. 

Having said that, he had those offensively talented players and CHOSE Chaput, Megna, etc so it's hard to feel sorry for him. 

2 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Yeah, I met him at one of the Canucks Autism Network Sports Days. Was extremely nice and patient with my son....then ran into him the next day at Starbucks at YVR. Very nice guy, just not the right coach for us.

That's pretty much exactly my opinion.

I don't dislike the man personally, but I dislike that he was our coach. Probably an AHL all-star level coach that can't get it done up top (ala Jason Jaffray, Nigel Dawes, etc).

Now we get a chance to get someone who isn't going to put Chaput on the powerplay.

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

As much as I understand how some will be upset by this move let's be honest. Willie chose to put players like Megna and Chaput with the Sedins and only around game 79 does he try the kid Goldobin with the Sedins and look what happens. Also he calls out Trymakin etc and rewards guys who may have been giving 110% but as I said before hard work is great but if you have hands of stone around the net it doesnt justify putting a guy on a scoring line unless the Sedins learn to bank it in off his A$$ ala Gretzky with Semenko lol.

I see your point, but don't we want hard working guys who don't take shifts off?

Shouldn't actions like these motivate "more skilled" players to work harder? Personally I think it should. 

If you're the type of player who gets their nose out of joint because someone who works harder than you is playing more...maybe you're missing what it takes to play on the Canucks. 

Archived