The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Are you thick in the head?  I'm ok with the Willie firing.  I just don't want Hitchcock to coach this club.  Get off my ****.

Lmao you were whining about Hitch being hard on players... get over it. If they did hire hime it is a better team already. 

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Reality is -- this fan base CANNOT HANDLE A REBUILD.  They expect immediate results and when they aren't there they immediately look for scapegoats.  Even game to game.

We've missed the playoffs two straight seasons and three of the last four.  Just imagine if we were Edmonton, 10 straight?  Think this place is unbearable now... then again, that much failure might whinge-exhaust the complainers and clear the place out.

The problem is that in this day and age in a hockey mad market, 24hr sports coverage, social media and internet access with all you can eat info, people will have a difficult time being patient during a rebuild. In the earlier days it would have easier to take as Canucks talk/info wouldn't have been so widely available, except around the water cooler and the daily newspaper.

I wish him well...have NO animosity toward him, and think he did his best.  I feel that, at the very least, he wasn't a scream down the players' back type of guy who used intimidation to coach as some do.  That's important with young, impressionable guys who could cower and shrink inward as part of that.

Although some of his ideas may have expired or been too rigid, his way of demanding an overall effort from players likely was a good tone to set.  

It's a time of change, so this makes sense.  Exciting.

Thank you, Willie D.  Best of luck.

I think this quick decision to fire WD was more about sending a message to the young players (Virtanen, Goldobin, Boucher, Horvat, Boeser, etc) that management recognizes WD was not the best fit, that they are the future of the team and will look for a coach that recognizes and will play the young players.

Now, some of those players I mentioned didn't have problems with ice time near the end of the season, but it was a monumental struggle to get that ice time which it really shouldn't be.

It was less to do with protecting WD and more about protecting the brand image.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So if Willie gets another head coaching job next year, do we get a pick like we did with Torts?

1 minute ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Believe he's still on contract,so yes.

NO WE WONT. THE LEAGUE CHANGE THE RULES AFTER THE JACKETS SIGNED TORTS. WE ARE THE LAST TEAM TO RECIEVE A PICK FROM THAT.

sorry for the caps too lazy to backspace and retype haha

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't think we'll see another rookie coach come in.  Canucks are bottoming out and need a solid veteran who can both develop young players and put in a system that they can move forward with and start being competitive again.  What are the odds of Jarvis taking over?  Or is there likely to be a house-cleaning, at least of Pearn and Lidster?

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Well that answers that -- house cleaned! :)

Just now, Hortankin said:

NO WE WONT. THE LEAGUE CHANGE THE RULES AFTER THE JACKETS SIGNED TORTS. WE ARE THE LAST TEAM TO RECIEVE A PICK FROM THAT.

sorry for the caps too lazy to backspace and retype haha

Oh so that wasn't for emphasis? :P

Just now, bertuzzi44fan said:

So what happens when coaches are still on contract?Gotta chill out a season?lol

no they're allowed to go, and you still gotta pay out but the amount depends on the individual contract. In this case Willie's salary was never made public so I highly doubt it was over 1 mil per so no biggie.

Archived