The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Toni Zamboni said:

i think Willie knew this was coming....you could see it in his eyes in his last presser when he was asked about it.

He knew it was coming for sure, and (maybe?) some of his comments, and deployment of youth was in reaction to hearing about it.  There were the very public JB comments about Willie "now being on board" playing the youth a couple months back.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would not that be completely uber-weird? If you're Gallant, would you even do that?

Doubtless ownership had a say in this as well.  Again, looking forward to hearing the justification from TL/JB, which should also give a better indication of how they regard the state of the team, status of the rebuild, and direction they intend to take if there are to be any adjustments. 

Still maintain that there's no way TL/JB are in the crosshairs when the team is in the midst of a complete rebuild.  Making such a move would evidence the Aquilinis as completely short-sighted and incompetent.

I'm not saying that their heads are on the chopping block. Now, with firing Willie, the onus is on them to bring in a coach that will get the most out of the team and manage the new core.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would not that be completely uber-weird? If you're Gallant, would you even do that?

Doubtless ownership had a say in this as well.  Again, looking forward to hearing the justification from TL/JB, which should also give a better indication of how they regard the state of the team, status of the rebuild, and direction they intend to take if there are to be any adjustments. 

Still maintain that there's no way TL/JB are in the crosshairs when the team is in the midst of a complete rebuild.  Making such a move would evidence the Aquilinis as completely short-sighted and incompetent.

Well that could still be true, time will tell. I somehow don't think so but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Just now, Great Granny said:

Somewhere in a dark corner, Alfstonker is in the fetal position sobbing. Best news I've heard in a long time.

An defense of another of the Alf clan memeber, did Stonker ever say Willie wasn't going to be fired?  I thought he stood on his personal belief Willie shouldn't be fired?

1 minute ago, chickenman92 said:

I believe last season, Green said he preferred being a head coach. I believe that is why he didn't get an assistant job last season when GG left. 

Yeah, not sure that's realistic though. Also hoping that remaining within the organization that has been kind enough to employ him might be a draw. Plus, chances are we'll have a head coaching position open in another couple years :lol:

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Will wait to hear the rationale from management, but a questionable move IMO.

The one benefit for now -- it will finally shut up the incessant moaning, groaning, and whinging of the reactionary element of this fanbase.

no it won't, there will just be a new focus. 

As much as I understand how some will be upset by this move let's be honest. Willie chose to put players like Megna and Chaput with the Sedins and only around game 79 does he try the kid Goldobin with the Sedins and look what happens. Also he calls out Trymakin etc and rewards guys who may have been giving 110% but as I said before hard work is great but if you have hands of stone around the net it doesnt justify putting a guy on a scoring line unless the Sedins learn to bank it in off his A$$ ala Gretzky with Semenko lol.

what if WD went to dallas and never lost a game to us? thatd sting lol

now I just want to hear the Sens gave us permission to speak to Cawford, then I will be completely satisfied. If not Crawford I want Green. Leave Gallant for the Blues or another contender that may fire their coach

4 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm not sure they can bring in another AHL coach right now, especially one with a style similar to Willie. 

That said, I don't think a dinosaur like Hitchcock is a good idea either. 

Agreed, I really don't want to see another rookie head coach.

--

Aquaman must have forgotten to turn off his Twitter mentions last night, he was getting blown up with fire Willie tweets.

Archived