The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Interview 1040..May 11,2017

Honky Cat

I can see the resemblance in game style with Makar and Doughty. 

Both have high hockey IQ, on ice awareness, play like studs, have the ability to dominate and change the temp of the game. All that being said I don't see him as Bennings pick. 

I find it really difficult to predict this draft who Benning will take at 5. 

It most likely will be one of

1. Mittlestadt 

2. Heiskanen 

3. Liljegren 

4. Vilardi

5. Makar

6. Glass

I will be happy with any of these picks!

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Because Hockey DB is always the first site you check and there's NOOO way he grew in 7 months at all.

Combine will show ya the way I am sure.

As well, still notice you didn't step up to the plate for a WAY undersized defenseman.  But...just curious how do you feel about Ryan Ellis?  Duncan Keith? Drew Doughty?  Troy Stecher?  Sidney Crosby?  

I mean.  All uber EXTREMELY undersized defensemen and one uber undersized center

Pro tip, I watched Duncan in Penticton.  He was drafted smaller than Makar was/is now as was Crosby who was 5 foot 10.5 inches and 182 pounds

You're seriously comparing Crosby to Makar here?

Crosby could've been 4 feet tall and still had a successful career. 

Ellis had 89 points in his draft year...in the OHL...and eventually set records with a 100 point season. 

Keith was playing Div 1 college hockey in his draft year against players up to 4-5 years older.

Doughty (who was well over 6') was a PPG in his 2 years leading up to draft...in the OHL. 

The only SOMEWHAT comparable on that list is Tony Stretcher and he was never drafted...

All the others were putting up huge numbers at the top level in their age group, not Jr A in Alberta...

Not to mention Makar is a late birthday so will be more than a few months older than some of the players in the draft. 

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Listening to Benning's tone in response to the question about Makar, my guess would be that he's not leaning that way - which means he's either his somewhat transparent self, or he's shifted into poker mode - but my guess would be that he's not one of the primary targets there.

I felt the same thing. 

10 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Some men are just too sensitive they really need to get their devil panties out of their rectum and grow some they seem to take on a girly girl mentality very few real men today just a bunch of bullied sissies who cry over the littlest of things.

You are 100% correct, if you are referring to hockey players. Cuz I was.

Hockey players can be very sensitive, you know. 

17 hours ago, xereau said:

D core takes longer to mature.  If this is still the starting era of the rebuild, then it should be a D.

Completely agree, when you undertake a rebuild you really should start on defence. That Virtanen pick fits in a bit too - powerforwards, centers, defencemen and goalies take longer to develop.

Doesn't make sense why he got Goldobin and Dahlen in right away when he could have tried to trade Burrows/Hansen for picks or defencemen, but he's just boosting stock across the board. 

I like the idea of drafting defencemen or centers in the higher picks - they're much harder to come by in trades or UFA. They're the back-bone of the team and if we draft a defenceman or center, we'll do well this draft. I'd rather pick a center, in particular a young one. Vilardi would be perfect. 17 now, send him back to junior for a year or two, then to the AHL for a year and then the NHL. 3 years away from the NHL. In that time we brew the defencemen as well. I think the 2018 draft is going to be flush with defencemen so save our 1st rounder for a D-man then.

With the 2017 draft I'd take a center with the 5th overall (Vilard, Mittelstatd or Glass)

Try desperately to trade the 33rd overall up into the 1st round to try and snag a D-man (namely Liljegren around 15-20th overall). 

Otherwise with the 33rd overall take a D-man (Timmins, Vaakanainen, Jokiharju, Braanstrom, lots of Euro-Ds here)

With the 55th overall, take another defenceman or BPA.

With the 3rd round pick and two 4th round picks, take big wingers or D-men or depth center. BPA ideally.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm ok with drafting a D-man. Look at Nashville. They turned a surplus of d-men into Subban, and Johansen, and still have one of the best defensive units in the NHL.

Stealing Forsberg was amazing too. 

I'm all for stocking up on defencemen, as long as we don't miss on a premier top line center.

Mittelstatd, Vilardi and Glass all have the potential to be a top line center which is one of the Canucks big needs right now. We can't break Horvat's back carrying this team forever, and Henrik and Sutter are really slowing down quickly. This team lacks a true top-6 center and there aren't too many in the 2018 draft. Unless we can trade Tanev/defenceman for one and then replace them with draftee defencemen, I'd rather take a center with our top pick.

Got a strong feeling one of those 3 centers listed above will end up being the next Clayton Keller/Jost/Sheiffele. If we have a stab at someone like that, you have to take it. I've got a feeling Makar/Liljegren/Heiskanen are far from elite but going to be very similar to the Duck defencemen Lindholm and Vaatanen. Great top-4 guys, but are they worth taking over a first line center?

It'll all come down to JB and his scouting staff at the end of the day, but I'd go Hirschier > Nolan > Vilardi > Mittelstatd > Glass > Heiskanen > Makar > Liljegren

Is it possible for JB to trade Tanev for the second spot without loosing the 5th pick?  I realize this is a bit ambitious but wonder what you all think?  What would it take to get both 2nd & 5th?

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Got a strong feeling one of those 3 centers listed above will end up being the next Clayton Keller/Jost/Sheiffele. If we have a stab at someone like that, you have to take it. I've got a feeling Makar/Liljegren/Heiskanen are far from elite but going to be very similar to the Duck defencemen Lindholm and Vaatanen. Great top-4 guys, but are they worth taking over a first line center?

200de1d4ef6baaccc1cb515779c2faf6_-meme-w

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Is it possible for JB to trade Tanev for the second spot without loosing the 5th pick?  I realize this is a bit ambitious but wonder what you all think?  What would it take to get both 2nd & 5th?

3rd overall. Tanev + CBJ 2nd to DAL for Lehtonen (cap dump) and 3rd OA and Oleksiak.

Draft one of Mittel/Glass (or slim chance of Patrick falling) at 3, Liljegrin at 5, come out with our future 1C and top pair offensive D.

A few years from now...

Dahlen, Mittel/Glass, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Goldobin

Granlund, Gaudette, Virtanen

Gaunce, Sutter, Lockwood

Juolevi, Liljegrin

Tryamkin?, Stecher

Brisebois, Gudbranson

Even better if we can improve on that ^^^ with a high pick next year too.

58 minutes ago, J.R. said:

200de1d4ef6baaccc1cb515779c2faf6_-meme-w

3rd overall. Tanev + CBJ 2nd to DAL for Lehtonen (cap dump) and 3rd OA and Oleksiak.

Draft one of Mittel/Glass (or slim chance of Patrick falling) at 3, Liljegrin at 5, come out with our future 1C and top pair offensive D.

A few years from now...

Dahlen, Mittel/Glass, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Goldobin

Granlund, Gaudette, Virtanen

Gaunce, Sutter, Lockwood

Juolevi, Liljegrin

Tryamkin?, Stecher

Brisebois, Gudbranson

Even better if we can improve on that ^^^ with a high pick next year too.

To be honest I think if we're gunning for both, we should try and trade up the CBJ or VAN 2nd rounder and keep the 5th overall. Don't see us getting into the top-5 without using our top pick.

1) Draft Vilardi with the 5th overall

2) Trade 33rd overall + Tanev to Toronto for 17th overall + Kaspanen

3) Draft Liljegren/Valimaki/Hague/Foote/Timmins

We score a top-6 center, top-6 winger and top-4 defenceman in one draft. That's how you rebuild. Gun hard for a decent 2018 pick for a top defenceman but this lays the groundwork for a good core:

Kaspanen - Vilardi - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Dahlen

Goldobin - Sutter - Virtanen

Juolevi - 2018 pick

Liljegren - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa

Subban

With respect to the draft, about the only thing Benning really let known is that he isn't looking at a winger. A playmaking centre or a puck moving d-man. That rules out Tippet, everyone else is still on the board.

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be honest I think if we're gunning for both, we should try and trade up the CBJ or VAN 2nd rounder and keep the 5th overall. Don't see us getting into the top-5 without using our top pick

I didn't trade the 5th.

Keeping both 3rd and 5th. Draft Mittel/Glass AND Liljegrin.

Tanev plus taking cap dump of Lehtonen gets us 3rd IMO.

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Also the crap JB is taking over the comments Europe Skill & North American Heart by the PC Police is unbelievable.  OBVIOUSLY HE IS NOT A RACIST!

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how "North American" and "European" are races, especially considering a large if not majority portion of the former came from the latter.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

very similar to the Duck defencemen Lindholm and Vaatanen. Great top-4 guys, but are they worth taking over a first line center?

this makes literally no sense at all.

seems like you have little idea about Lindholm.

Archived