The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GM Jim Benning talks about the NHL Combine, 2017 Expansion Draft and 2017 NHL Draft

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Depends on what you mean by 'destination'

Are the Canucks ready for a Stanley cup? Not yet. But, does that mean that there's no spots worth eyeing? Last time I checked, the Canucks ARE an NHL team, much like the Oilers and the Leafs - both of whom have had bad seasons in recent memory. Players can spin anything they want about signing with a team (i.e. beautiful place, world class organization, etc etc). I'm sure if the Sedins got traded to Washington next year (this is merely an example, nothing more and nothing less), they'd say great things about that city, about Ovechkin (even as a poor playoff performer) or Kuznetsov or something. My point being is that if their job requires them to be in a city, I'm sure they'd find a reason or two to praise a team.

Hodgson signed 6 million to be in Buffalo. He claimed it was his best chance to win a Stanley cup. *rolleyes*

Wasn't that Ehrhoff? Hodgson was traded to Buffalo......

Your point still stands though.....

Just now, Rick Blight said:

Wasn't that Ehrhoff? Hodgson was traded to Buffalo......

Your point still stands though.....

No you're absolutely right. It was Ehrhoff that signed the 6 million dollar contract claiming to be his best chance of winning the Stanley Cup. I mentioned the wrong person.

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming expansion and entry draft. We will end up with a good player. Benning saying we'll get a good player at 5 basically rules out any chance of trading up. If we trade up, I'd go for Devils pick or Dallas'. Hischier and Vilardi are looking like sure bets of being really fine NHLers. If Heiskanen or Patrick somehow drop if we stay at 5, I'll throw a party if we somehow get one of the two. But firstly the combine and the expansion draft is what we will have to be focusing on and hopefully we don't lose a good player but we most likely will so we will have to be prepare for that. Also excited for free agency as we need to fill a lot of holes in our lineup and need depth in forwards.  There should be a lot of good names out there so this is another day to look forward but still a long way away from it. Excited about the kids we have and hopefully they all take a step forward next year

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Take a seat, because Trader Jim is going to make some BIG BIG moves soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tanev gone for another top 15 pick

Hutton for Sam Reinhart

And more to come!!!!

GO JIMBO GO!!!!!

Hutton for Reinhart? I assume you're being facetious

But you and I both know that getting Reinhart is the key to turning this ship around, the team's future relies on their ability to do the obvious this summer

So don't give Jimbo any more dumb ideas than he already has

Tanev + whatever for Reinhart

That's the deal

Take a seat, because Trader Jim is going to make some BIG BIG moves soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tanev gone for another top 15 pick

Hutton for Sam Reinhart

And more to come!!!!

GO JIMBO GO!!!!!

haha!

hope so, there really isn't anything to lose.

to all those saying we need miller and tanev and edler to keep a winning environment:   how are the last 2 years a winning environment?  complete fail!  Better to get something for them...

don't worry, our new coach will be defensive-oriented and we will be close in a lot of games...  it won't matter that we lose those 3 and get prospects / picks...

How many have you?  All we have to go on is his public persona, which isn't really fantastic.  He comes across as rather simple, right?

Ever watched Babcock parot his ridiculous one liners?  Over and over, he's got maybe ten things to say about how his teams are playing 

These one liners are better:

1. When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

2. You can observe a lot by just watching.

3. It ain’t over till it’s over.

4. It’s like déjà vu all over again.

5. No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.

6. Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

7. A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

8. Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.

9. We made too many wrong mistakes.

10. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

11. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

12. You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.

13. I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

14. Never answer an anonymous letter.

15. Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.

16. How can you think and hit at the same time?

17. The future ain’t what it used to be.

18. I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.

19. It gets late early out here.

20. If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them.

21. We have deep depth.

22. Pair up in threes.

23. Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.

24. You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.

25. All pitchers are liars or crybabies.

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

we all love our canucks and want to have a great team to cheer for. the only problem as i see it, is we all want it to happen yesterday. patience isn't a cdc strength.

Sometimes I think the average age of the people on the site affects the ability to be patient to a certain degree.  For those of us who have been through ( endured is more like it ) at least two or three different cores we are used to this part of the cycle, and know that we have years of tough rebuilding ahead of us.  Bennings drafted much better than his predecessors so far, even with the MT miss and Virtanen being the only sixth pick not in the NHL since 2009...and better than the average of his peers too given we started dead last in the prospect pool and are now approaching top ten (and that doesn't completely include trading picks for advanced development guys like Bear, and trading prospects to add roster players in Granlund and Guddy, or signing Stetcher...). 

If we continue on this trend we won't be in the basement as long as we probably should have been, but it still is going to be years before we can contend for sustainable regular playoff appearances.   The best thing is, as recent history has shown us unde the cap era, once you get in anything can happen.  LA won their first cup mostly on Quicks back as a wild card, barely making it in, and now Nashville is doing the same.

When I look at our future I don't see anything possibly assembling before the Sedins retire, and that we have too many what ifs in our system.

We need a team with at least one star defenseman (Car was the last team to win without one, MAYBE that's Juolevi?) A top ten, ideally a top five goalie, and at least two star forwards....

Wise to suggest some patience...it will take time.  At least our GM hasn't thrown a wrecking ball into the team, we won't win icing an AHL team while we wait, hope and pray that lottery tickets work out.  Enjoy the process CDC, undeniably we be back on top eventually, and the enduring will only make it that much sweeter.

4 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

The TDL last season was a baby step in the right direction though still an attempt at a shortcut through the rebuild. We'll see what happens up to the draft. 

So... instead of acquiring developing near-ready NHL prospects, you'd rather he instead get a couple of magic beans in return, then have to plant, water, and hope they turn into something in a few years?  Something hopefully as good as the aforementioned young prospects that he has now?

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I would have loved to have seen that play out.

Oh ya.  Buddy was one of those "ridiculously really really good looking" guys too.  He literally said whatever he wanted to them on that flight.  I travelled with him in Europe a bit back in the day.  Good times.

11 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's weird having a GM who always looks and talks so passively. How does he expect to negotiate from a position of power when he has no concept of a power pose or confident tones?

Goldy and Dahlen disagree. 

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Hutton for Reinhart? I assume you're being facetious

But you and I both know that getting Reinhart is the key to turning this ship around, the team's future relies on their ability to do the obvious this summer

So don't give Jimbo any more dumb ideas than he already has

Tanev + whatever for Reinhart

That's the deal

Tanev+Shinkaruk+6th overall wasn't enough to get Reinhart before. It would still take a hell of a lot to get Reinhart. Don't think we have the pieces to acquire him. Not one's we'd be willing to move at least.

It's too hard to get a young 1st line centre via trade, so we're better off hoping Vilardi/Middlestadt become that 1st line centre, and we use a dman in a trade to get a young top 6 winger in his early 20's like Boone Jenner or Connor Brown.

Because of the unique situation this year with the expansion draft, its a great time to go after some guys who may be left unprotected like Josh Anderson, Adam Lowry, Brett Ritchie, Erik Haula, Austin Watson, etc.

I would trade Tanev for the right price.

Who needs him and what would do they have to give?

What is he worth?

Is he worth a first and a prospect? 

Can you land a front line forward?

Can you land another top 5 pick for him, this year or next ?

Is he worth more to us over the next 5 years than what we can get?

Benning and staff have their work cut out for them.

3 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

These one liners are better:

1. When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

2. You can observe a lot by just watching.

3. It ain’t over till it’s over.

4. It’s like déjà vu all over again.

5. No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.

6. Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

7. A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

8. Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.

9. We made too many wrong mistakes.

10. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

11. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

12. You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.

13. I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

14. Never answer an anonymous letter.

15. Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.

16. How can you think and hit at the same time?

17. The future ain’t what it used to be.

18. I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.

19. It gets late early out here.

20. If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them.

21. We have deep depth.

22. Pair up in threes.

23. Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.

24. You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.

25. All pitchers are liars or crybabies.

26. always find it in the last place I look.

Archived