The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GM Jim Benning talks about the NHL Combine, 2017 Expansion Draft and 2017 NHL Draft

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ever heard of the phrase: "There's a sucker born every minute?".

Ever heard of the phrase "He turned himself into one of the richest men on the planet."

Your phrase is actually a question.

Hate the guy all you want but if you think he's unsuccessful you are delusional.

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Losing Shore is of course no problem. The bigger problem is that the Canucks are a weak enough team that a guy like Shore is even in the conversation for a spot on the team.

That said, it is correct that the Canucks are not a "destination" team right now -- a place where guys want to go. Some guys, like Holm, whose talent is marginal by NHL standards, might see the Canucks as their best shot to make the NHL. And some veterans approaching the end of their careers (like Eriksson) might be willing to accept a large overpayment to live in a nice place. And maybe one or two guys might want to come "home", like Stecher.

But it will be hard for the Canucks to attract high quality undrafted free agents or UFAs. And even a guy like Guddy will want an overpayment to stay. And even the RFAs, although they do not have a lot of choice, will probably be less than enthusiastic and won't be willing to sign on a bargain rates.

Right now, the draft is the only reasonable way to build a better team. .

Benning has been doing pretty good on the college free agent signings. Not worried about signing older UFA's either. IMO the younger demographic will sign in Van simply because they are in the midst of a rebuild. It gives them more opportunity and more time to develop their NHL game. Chatfield is the latest example.  

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning is giving less and less as time goes by. Well done, JB. Shut those chuckleheads out and get down to business.

Noticed that,...Thats too bad really,because he used to to be fairly candid in his interviews (instead of being a 'smug ass' like his predecessor)....After being fined,and having his quotes taken out of context,I don't think we're going to get that much out of him from now on.

Just now, Honky Cat said:

Noticed that,...Thats too bad really,because he used to to be fairly candid in his interviews (instead of being a 'smug ass' like his predecessor)....After being fined,and having his quotes taken out of context,I don't think we're going to get that much out of him from now on.

I do appreciate Benning's candor, and always have. I do think though that the Vancouver sports media's hounding and distortion of statements has played a larger role in Benning taking on a more generalized tone.

It'd be funny if Jimbo was really like this during trade talks:

"Yo Dorian, this is how it's gonna be.  You're gonna give me that Jonathan Dahlen kid you've been gushing about.  We'll give you Burrows, so say yes, hang up the phone and stfu cuz I am Jim Mutha Effing Benning $%^&$, peace."

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Jim's hair is starting to morph into Brian Burke's hedgehog look

jim-benning.jpgburkenow.jpg?w=6502f96ae1b4b83e2a8e3a05aab68aecc60.jpg

i don't know about the third guy but the first two guys are going hard on the brillo cream.a little dab will do ya.

4 hours ago, mpt said:

I watched this last night, its a pretty non informative video where he really discusses nothing of any importance.   He's learned his lesson on what to say to the fans and media, but it makes for some pretty boring interviews

This is what he has been forced into with this market

30 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Ever heard of the phrase "He turned himself into one of the richest men on the planet."

Your phrase is actually a question.

Hate the guy all you want but if you think he's unsuccessful you are delusional.

If you're talking about Trump, he actually didn't turn himself into the richest men on the planet. 

38 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

He is the president. He convinced half of America to vote for him. All he would have to do is convince someone to trade a pick here and there.

Lol at equating the competency of half the American population to the average GM. 

This is one of the dumbest things I've ready on CDC, and I've been talking to Alf this morning.

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

The negativity on this forum is just embarrassing.

It's really only a handful of high count posters who do this ad nausea in all threads they latch onto.   I find them entertaining and their insecurity about their own pet team (often Flames, Oilers or Hawks) has them spending endless hours trolling this site in some puerile attempt of making themselves feel better as they assume they are having some form of impact on the Canucks.   True fans are not negative - they are constructively critical.   Massive difference you can spot easily after one post let alone the thousands some of these trolls rack up.    

Suggest you do as I do - feed them little bits of crumbs (the trolls) and enjoy their responses.    It can be quite entertaining - I picture them in either their mother's basement surrounded by junk food wrappers or in a cubicle in their dead end jobs typing away furiously while a few more customer service responses about a broken toilet sit on hold waiting for them to deny a warranty.

I don't care if our GM has the personality of a tub of expired yogurt. I care if he can build a winner (cup contender, not playoff doormat)  and the jury is still way way out on Benning. 

The TDL last season was a baby step in the right direction though still an attempt at a shortcut through the rebuild. We'll see what happens up to the draft. 

5 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's weird having a GM who always looks and talks so passively. How does he expect to negotiate from a position of power when he has no concept of a power pose or confident tones?

You must like trump <_<

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

dumb-sign-2.jpg

It's really too easy Phil....yet so entertaining....

i have an Aussie friend who sat on a plane next to two American girls.  They asked him to speak "Australian".

without batting a wink, he made up some babble language on the spot....worked.

trump voters no doubt.

5 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's weird having a GM who always looks and talks so passively. How does he expect to negotiate from a position of power when he has no concept of a power pose or confident tones?

If you ever get any real negotiating experience, you'll find that what you say, what you offer, and doing your homework in negotiations are much more important than is your demeanour in a non-negotiating interview. And of course, when you ARE negotiating from a position of power, which you will know if you've done your homework, you obviously don't need "a power pose" or "confident tones".

If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that JB has demonstrated his ability by negotiating some very good deals. Baer, Granny, Goldy and Dahlen come to mind.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Our top notch sports media strikes again! 

Archived