The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

13 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Oh, I see Tanev only has 3 years remaining. It's another option for JB to look at. If it made the difference between trading Tanev or not, I'd be in favour of it.

I'm thinking more of if it's the difference between getting the 7th and Dvorak or the 7th and not much else, I'd gladly do it.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

He is already on a good value contract.  We won't be retaining dollars one would think.

We already have two contracts retained, and can only have three.  That would hamper ability to trade players at the deadline.

I don't see a noticeable improvement in return that would justify that.

He is but ARZ also has no &^@#ing money :lol: Tanev at something like $2.95m or $3.45m sure would look appealing.

Wouldn't really hamper much at the TDL. Just take back a bad contract instead.

56 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm thinking more of if it's the difference between getting the 7th and Dvorak or the 7th and not much else, I'd gladly do it.

Dvorak looks like an absolute stud in the making. I can't believe Arizona got him with a late 2nd. But even with salary retained, we would still need to add a good piece IMO. 

8 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Might as well close this thread now. No way they part with two top 6 D in the same offseason. 

Technically 3 if we're counting both Sbisa and Tryamkin. But there's always free agency. I know gutting our D sucks but we have to think big picture here. We're probably a bottom 5 team with Tanev in our lineup, so what's the point?

1 hour ago, Vanisleryan said:

Not sure how you interpret that as us doing them a favour....Tanev would be a great asset for any team. It would be a fair trade in my opinion. The added bonus of being able to have them not take Sbisa, Boucher, or Gaunce would be nice as well.....wait are you a closet Megna fan.

But yes I also heard that they are dealing with Philly...

You worded it as if we'd be giving them the luxury of acquiring Tanev in exchange for their 6th OA pick IF they agreed not to take Sbisa or Gaunce. So essentially what you're saying is Tanev > 6th OA. I think you'll see shortly that that's just simply not the case. Not sure what Jayson Megna has to do with this?

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

Looks like dallas is making a huge push for methot, according to elliot friedman. It doesnt seem like a tanev deal will get done with dallas. Hopefully dallas loses out on the methot sweepstakes and they comeback to benning.

At this point I don't really expect s Tanev trade to happen, seems like the market has really opened up. 

25 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Looks like dallas is making a huge push for methot, according to elliot friedman. It doesnt seem like a tanev deal will get done with dallas. Hopefully dallas loses out on the methot sweepstakes and they comeback to benning.

Fair enough. But seeing the ransoms Vegas has made out With, they're going to want a huge return on Methot. Maybe they will get stuck with all these defensemen haha. 

Or maybe it'll push Dallas to make a trade with us to avoid padding Vegas' picks anymore 

7 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

To be fair, the price was always reported to be pretty high.... which it should be.  Never made sense to move him just to move him.  

Agree. As Canucks fans we are always hoping for a home run so we imagine great returns on a player that JB perhaps never wanted to trade.

holy crap is vegas stocking up on picks

Vegas is killing it. Should be a really fun draft for them. Looking forward to maybe seeing them play next season.

With Sbisa claimed by Vegas, and Tryamkin bolting back to Russia, it leaves them a little thin at LD. (Edler, Hutton, Holm, Pedan). They'd also be in rough shape if they traded Tanev. (Gudbranson, Stecher, Biega, Subban)

I think the only way Tanev is gone is if another team trades their top 10 pick straight up, and that's probably not going to get it done for the other team.

It's too bad we lost Sbisa, I liked his grit and he played well last season. Hope Holm works out.

With Vegas picking 13 D men in the expansion draft, as well as very likely using at least one of their first round draft picks on a D man, they control the defence trade market.  There's going to be a lot more moves made by them soon. 

I believe this has a huge impact on a Tanev deal though and the king's ransom we would've required to let him go. Long story short, I really don't see a Tanev deal happening this off season now. 

Yep, don't think Tanev will be traded this offseason.  I will be aiming for the next trade deadline; that's when desperate teams trying to make the playoffs and/or reinforce their D for a playoff run should come calling.

Ehh it's not the end of the world, Putting him with Juolevi for nine games at the start of the year will let the kid develop much more than if they tried to play him with Pedan/Biega to see what they have. 

I'll settle for hitting on the 5th,33rd and 55th and call that a succesful weekend. 

2 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

With Vegas picking 13 D men in the expansion draft, as well as very likely using at least one of their first round draft picks on a D man, they control the defence trade market.  There's going to be a lot more moves made by them soon. 

I believe this has a huge impact on a Tanev deal though and the king's ransom we would've required to let him go. Long story short, I really don't see a Tanev deal happening this off season now. 

I don't know about this.......Button (TSN) is emphasizing the point that the defence position is the weakest for Vegas.  They may have 13 D men but the quality is nowhere as high as Tanev.  In fact, it wouldn't be absurd to me if Vancouver traded Tanev to LV for the #6 draft pick and a defenseman (unless there's a better offer).  I could see JB doing this if he felt pretty good that he was going to be able to sign a UFA veteran D man.  Let's face it, this is a rebuild and the Canucks need high draft picks for quality players in 5 years time.  There's enough other experienced D-men on the team (and perhaps a cheap elder ufa / trade D-man) to help guide the youngens and that's really all that we can expect for this coming year.  Trading Tanman for a really decent prospect is well worth it in my mind.

Archived