The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

There are so, so many D-men available from Vegas. And they HAVE TO shed a lot of them before the season starts, or they'll lose them on waivers. So the market is really skewed right now.

I'm not opposed to keeping Tanev around for most of the year to help groom younger guys - especially if Juolevi makes the team. But at next deadline, absolutely move him. The 2018 draft is better anyways.

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meh, whatever.

cannot argue with benning when McPhee and vegas just single handedly cornered the market for D men and intentionally lowballed the price to ensure they got the best (and only) returns

Hard to say this team will be much improved anyways, just have to hope Tanev has a standout year and isn't hurt come the TDL

There ARE still outliers in Buffalo and Toronto though for trading him so.....

Its flooded, with left handed shot defencemen and mediocrity. The team its self on the blueline is very piss-poor with the options made avail.

Vegas has chips I'd say Tanev is more than a chip plus being right handed and his abilities makes him still hold some value out their.

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meh, whatever.

cannot argue with benning when McPhee and vegas just single handedly cornered the market for D men and intentionally lowballed the price to ensure they got the best (and only) returns

Hard to say this team will be much improved anyways, just have to hope Tanev has a standout year and isn't hurt come the TDL

There ARE still outliers in Buffalo and Toronto though for trading him so.....

and TBL.

KoekKoek and 14th....maybe some sweetener.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'm not opposed to keeping Tanev around for most of the year to help groom younger guys - especially if Juolevi makes the team. But at next deadline, absolutely move him. The 2018 draft is better anyways.

I'm just not sure about this. Tanev brings nothing offensive to his game, so him alone won't win the Canucks any games. What he will bring is a responsible game and a consistently smart player. Something that should not only help mold other defensemen on the team, but really help any young goalie (*cough* Demko *cough*) come into the league and have responsible defensemen in front of them.

I think it would make sense for Vancouver to pick up a D-man from Vegas.  Montreal got one for a 5'th round pick.

That way you can Trade Tanev and not demand a D-man back.  Get the most value and the prospect/pick with the most value.  Tanev's value could go down  and it's important to sell high.  The Canucks lost their chance at trading many players who could have had us further along in the rebuild. 

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm just not sure about this. Tanev brings nothing offensive to his game, so him alone won't win the Canucks any games. What he will bring is a responsible game and a consistently smart player. Something that should not only help mold other defensemen on the team, but really help any young goalie (*cough* Demko *cough*) come into the league and have responsible defensemen in front of them.

Amazing point.
Perhaps Jimbo believes our guy at #5 (likely Glass) in combination with Boeser, Horvat, Dahlen, Baer, Granny, and Goldy can provide adequate offence, or at least have enough skill to warrant a good look over the next couple seasons. Perhaps he's smart enough to know that Thatcher Demko is the brightest star in our system, and keeping one of the best defensive defensemen in the game (Tanev) on the roster to gobble up big minutes and show Olli Juolevi the ropes will make the transition that much smoother for Thatch.

I think Hutton may get dealt. But he's not worth a ton right now... 

I would be as ecstatic as anyone to get another top 15 pick for Tanev, but maybe it's just as good to have him mentor Olli while Henrik+Bo mentor Cody Glass.

If we make smart picks tomorrow with the picks we have, we could still come away with a good haul.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If there is to be a Tanev trade, it will (likely) happen on the draft floor.  

It won't happen....unless we are going to throw the whole of the upcoming season (and I don't think JB is prepared to do that),...Tanev will not be traded

7 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

It won't happen....unless we are going to throw the whole of the upcoming season (and I don't think JB is prepared to do that),...Tanev will not be traded

What does that even mean though? We literally have zero chance of making the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

We need to get a middle first round pick to draft Cal Foote, he is going to be just like Shea Weber, only faster. if its Tanev then make the deal

lol so Cal Foote is going 1st overall I guess...

8 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

We just finished 28th and 29th with Tanev.  So we finish 30th or 31st?  

16 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

We need to get a middle first round pick to draft Cal Foote, he is going to be just like Shea Weber, only faster. if its Tanev then make the deal

Cal Foote has zero mean streak.

Archived