The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to re-tool their scouting department

Visp

3 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Old article, but illuminating:

https://canucksarmy.com/2014/05/27/ron-delorme-and-the-canucks-v-the-29-other-scouting-departments/

Along with Tampa, the Canucks have had the worst drafting in the league during the Delorme era. Should have cleaned house after the big 2007 0'fer. 

The one thing consistent during the Canucks dismal record of drafting and developing is ....Ron Delorme.

For the life of me I don't know why he is still employed by the Canucks. All jokes aside about him having 'pictures' and whatnot...I've heard one reason being that BECAUSE he has been in this game for so long, he has developed connections and contacts and insider information streams that would all be instantly lost (and presumably taken to another team) if he was let go. Its almost like some kind of extortion.

But enough is enough. We have our own master scout as GM. *grain of salt*.  Because despite all those connections, its still a bloody dismal record.

About time. Should have been done a while go but not directly after this draft. Could be a bad sign. Although the drafting and scouting has gotten better over the past few years (Which I am assuming as a lot to do with Benning). There has been too many miss fires in the past for this scouting staff to stay intact. Plus Canucks could really use some experience in the front office. At least have a "what about this?" guy. A lot of the moves by Benning and Trevor have been fairly predictable and they tend to make decisions when it's almost too late or when the league or other circumstances force their hand. 

5 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Are we finally firing the useless loaf of bread that is Ron DeLorme?

Too true.  Pluses should be raining down on you for this comment alone. But I'm saving mine for your equally succinct post about Gradin.

My entire manhood has been wasted watching Delorme fiddle fart around with one of the most important aspects of the team that I love.

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

A bit odd just before the draft though.  Timing seems wrong.

Honestly, I'd argue the opposite. When is drama most likely to happen? When everyone is sitting down at a table hashing out who and who not to draft.

This is the most likely time for this to be happening.

Oh gawd, its about time. We have been suffering through lousy drafts and poor scouting for at least the last three regimes(Burke, Nonis, Gillis). It seems that the ownership was waiting till the last purge of Gilman and such castoffs were off the books. Delorme, Snepts, Lingren, Gradin and all the ex-Canucks may not have made all the picks but I'm sorry they have done very little in productive choices. I have been wondering how and why our staff have jobs with missed draft after missed draft. I for one am glad to hear there will be a shakeup and hopefully some new talent brought in. 

I really don't care what they choose to label something as long as it turns out better, why peoole get their $&!#e in a knot about a term whether it's rebuild, reload or retool. If it helps the team why would people care?

Oh right, whiny lil bishes with no life and nothing else to do.... 

4 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sure but that happens every year. Every player that makes the NHL sees their stock instantly improve, while players sent back to Junior drop. Defensemen take longer to develop. The fact the Juolevi wasn't in the NHL at 18 years old has absolutely no impact on the player that he will become.

Sergachev moved from 9th to 6th in that redraft.  There's no reason Juolevi couldn't have moved up or at least maintained.  

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Sergachev moved from 9th to 6th in that redraft.  There's no reason Juolevi couldn't have moved up or at least maintained.  

Sergachev already has NHL size and got a cup of coffee with the Habs as a result. So ya, makes sense that he moved up. I haven't looked at the list but I bet Chychrun moved up too. Means nothing though. 

9 hours ago, apollo said:

Too bad it can't go as high as Trevor and Jim. 

Guess they're blaming not picking Tkachuk, Ehlers, Nylander... on the scouts?

you can add Vilardi to that list...he is a "for sure" pick and will be a pain in the Canucks side similar to Kopotar and Getslaf.

10 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Top line for Utica was Archibald Valk and Grenier. 2 of which weren't drafted. Subban, Rodin.... Also they found Tanev and Lack.... Bourdon... Schneider for Hovat. I think Gillis did OK considering we were the most competitive in franchise history at the time.  

i still think his drafting could have been better, tbh. 

Archived