The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't care about "weight" specifically, but strength and enough toughness not to be afraid of the corners. He's never going to be a beast or even top 190 but he can get wiry and tougher to play against. 

He definitely needs more weight. There is absolutely no doubt. In order for him to play in NHL and excel as 1c he needs to add 20lbs over the next 3 to 4 years. 

He won't be able to handle the physicality other wise. He took a hit in rookie camp and got hurt. Imagine getting hit by men in the NHL.

Edited by WHL rocks

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He definitely needs more weight. There is absolutely no doubt. In order for him to play in NHL and excel as 1c he needs to add 20lbs over the next 3 to 4 years. 

hmm... maybe. His bro topped out at 175. There's a lot of low-weight guys int the game now. 

27 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We do lack a high-quality LWer but we need a top 6 Center if we want to complete this rebuild. It is a necessity.

Yeah, left wing is certainly a priority as well, but I think one can be acquired more easily than one can acquire a top line center. Evander Kane may be available after this season, and Landeskog might be in play somewhere down the line. In addition to that, Dahlen, Gadjovich or even Lockwood could surprise, and Goldobin can play both sides. That isn't to say that any of those guys is a guarantee, but we do have options.

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, left wing is certainly a priority as well, but I think one can be acquired more easily than one can acquire a top line center. Evander Kane may be available after this season, and Landeskog might be in play somewhere down the line. In addition to that, Dahlen, Gadjovich or even Lockwood could surprise, and Goldobin can play both sides. That isn't to say that any of those guys is a guarantee, but we do have options.

I think the right side is set. Lind, Boeser, Virtanen, and Goldobin all look promising to their own extent.

Left side yeah we have options. 

Feels nice to have organizational depth. We should be looking for more C/D next draft.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I think the right side is set. Lind, Boeser, Virtanen, and Goldobin all look promising to their own extent.

Left side yeah we have options. 

Feels nice to have organizational depth. We should be looking for more C/D next draft.

I know we should be picking the "best player available", but if we go with a C, I'd prioritize right handed shots (if at all possible).

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hmm... maybe. His bro topped out at 175. There's a lot of low-weight guys int the game now. 

There is NO 1C in the NHL at under 190 lbs.  Stamkos or Bergeron might be lightest at 195 , most others are 200+. 

I agree and said earlier the game is changing. But he's 165 now and 175 won't cut it. 

Pettersson is 6'2. He needs to fill out to around 195+ to be what we need him to be. It will take time, 5 years. So by the time he's 23 ish. 

The weight and strength will come. He's only 18. Just naturally with age he'll add 20 lbs in 5 years. At that time he'll be around 22 to 23.

Edited by WHL rocks

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We do lack a high-quality LWer but we need a top 6 Center if we want to complete this rebuild. It is a necessity.

What this team desperately needs is a future 1D. 

Pettersson, Horvat are our future top 2 Centers. We need a top tier Dman.

Let's see where Juolevi ends up, I'd be happy if he turns into top pair Dman. He doesn't look like he'll be a Norris type Dman at this point. 

Best possible scenario is we get Dahlin or Boqvist at next draft. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

There is NO 1C in the NHL at under 190 lbs.  Stamkos or Bergeron might be lightest at 195 , most others are 200+. 

I agree and said earlier the game is changing. But he's 165 now and 175 won't cut it. 

Pettersson is 6'2. He needs to fill out to around 195+ to be what we need him to be. It will take time, 5 years. So by the time he's 23 ish. 

The weight and strength will come. He's only 18. Just naturally with age he'll add 20 lbs in 5 years. At that time he'll be around 22 to 23.

Henrik is 183 and was at the weight for his best years.... I dunno. I'm not concerned about it, he will get a bit bigger for sure, I just don't see 40 lbs bigger. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Henrik is 183 and was at the weight for his best years.... I dunno. I'm not concerned about it, he will get a bit bigger for sure, I just don't see 40 lbs bigger. 

So to get to HEnrik's weight he's gonna have to gain 20 lbs. Isn't this where our discussion started?  

And also, I didn't say in the history of NHL. I said currently. And currently Henrik is a 3C. It also helped there were 2 of them. 

Gretzky was light and skinny in the 1980's. But.............

Pettersson is going to have to gain 20 to 30 lbs, NOT 40.(165 + 30 = 195) by the time he's in his mid 20s if he ever becomes a 1C. Otherwise it ain't happening. 

Edited by WHL rocks

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We've desperately needed another top 6 center for a while now. I'd say say it's pretty necessary to get Pettersson used to playing center. If Pettersson does end up being a winger, it either leaves us with Horvat and a bunch of middle 6 guys to fill that top line center void going forward, or it puts us another year behind in our rebuild, neither of which I'm not overly comfortable with. 

I'd rather we get him accustomed to playing the position we need him to play than throw him in the lineup immediately just for the sake of doing so.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Do We? This team is in desperate need for a future 1c and 1d. So yes..

But 1 year from now and maybe half season in AHL will be good for him. It's ok if he plays wing even at NHL level to start. It wouldn't be out if the ordinary. 

Only thing I wanna see is him getting some strength and weight on his body at this point. 

Don't disagree with either of you, I just don't think it's the end of the world if he plays wing.  While everything looks incredibly promising in regards to his development thus far, I wonder what CDC's response would be if he tops out as a 2nd line winger......

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

So to get to HEnrik's weight he's gonna have to gain 20 lbs. Isn't this where our discussion started?  

And also, I didn't say in the history of NHL. I said currently. And currently Henrik is a 3C. It also helped there were 2 of them. 

Gretzky was light and skinny in the 1980's. But.............

Pettersson is going to have to gain 20 to 30 lbs, NOT 40.(165 + 30 = 195) by the time he's in his mid 20s if he ever becomes a 1C. Otherwise it ain't happening. 

He's actually 160lbs on the Vaxjo website. But yes, I agree with you for the most part. However, I think Pettersson at 180-185lbs is just fine.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He's actually 160lbs on the Vaxjo website. But yes, I agree with you for the most part. However, I think Pettersson at 180-185lbs is just fine.

Most of the top 30 NHL Centers are in the 190-210lbs range nowadays.

Pettersson needs to be in the 180-185lbs at the very least to be a #1C.  If he has Krejci, Sedin or Giroux skills he'll do ok.

Until he reaches that weight, he will probably be a Winger like P. Kane:o

One possible concern is that his brother (Emil) is 4yrs older and still sitting at 176lbs; although he sure is playing great hockey in the AHL right now.

But...then again, he may be so insanely talented that it won't matter what his weight is.

52 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Elias and Gaudette are going to really make things interesting next year. They'll both likely play their way onto the Canucks lineup, hard to see them not at this point.

Canucks are going to be flooded with hot young talent soon.

Not so sure they both play in Vancouver next year.  But they will certainly shore up the lack of center depth.   We have good forward depth right now, but I am not sure we have more than 3 NHL centers.  And I would certainly rather Gaudette could be called up rather than Megna or Chaput.  

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Landeskog is not a top line guy.

40 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Landeskog is not a top line guy.

Excluding last season, these seem like pretty solid top line numbers to me...

Colorado Avalanche NHL 81 26 39 65 71 21 7 3 1 4 8
2014-15 Colorado Avalanche NHL 82 23 36 59 79 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Colorado Avalanche NHL 75 20 33 53 69 -5 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Colorado Avalanche NHL 72 18 15 33 62 -25 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Colorado Avalanche NHL 11 3 4 7 4 3

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Excluding last season, these seem like pretty solid top line numbers to me...

Colorado Avalanche NHL 81 26 39 65 71 21 7 3 1 4 8
2014-15 Colorado Avalanche NHL 82 23 36 59 79 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Colorado Avalanche NHL 75 20 33 53 69 -5 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Colorado Avalanche NHL 72 18 15 33 62 -25 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Colorado Avalanche NHL 11 3 4 7 4 3

Mmm...2nd line winger really.  Only broken 60 once