The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

There is that debate as well?

Some are sure, with the Twins leaving, we will be back deep in the lottery next year.  Tank nation also emerges quickly after any combination of two mishaps during a year? I personally believe we were better than our record this year. I believe post Sedin we still have the ability to be better...

However! We will be faster, more athletic, create more pressure, be harder to play against. Its both Green's style? And how are roster is evolving. Gaudette, Sutter, Jake, EP are all great pressure defenders.

Yes, exactly.  Moving on from the Sedins will at last mean we start playing four fast attacking lines, as opposed to 2-3 and a cycle line.  Seems like we will add a veteran C of some sort as JB apparently wants EP to start on the wing, and there could well be changes on D.  Even though they want to be judicious with the capspace, if the opportunity to improve the roster is there I expect they take it.  And if we score a top-3 pick, we have another high-end player that will almost certainly step in next year.

If we didn't have the key injuries this year, we were an 80+ point team.  If Markstrom simply played solid like he did down the stretch, we could have reached 85-90.  That will also be key next year -- if we are still giving up early and soft goals, it won't be easy to show improvements in W-L.  Likewise if we lose a couple of Boeser/Horvat/Sutter for any length of time again.  Could we still bomb out with ~70 points?  Yes, but all things being equal I don't see it happening.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Did you watch any of the games, or just highlights of goals?  They were FAR from lacking physical play.

Just the highlights of goals. Watched a few regular season SHL games so they probably aren't as representative. 

15 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I want Benning to overpay for Paul Stastny on a short-term deal. He is 32 years old and just coming off a 4 year $28M contract and had 52 points this season. A two year $14M deal ($7M per season) would be perfect if he wanted to come and play alongside a Boeser, Pettersson, or Gaudette. Plus, he's great at face-offs and in year 2 we could retain 50% salary and trade him for assets (this past deadline, Stastny was traded for a 1st, 3rd and a forward prospect).

Stastny waived to go to WPG.  From his interviews it seems he really seems to like it in the Peg. He wants to win a Cup and the Jets give him that opportunity over the next couple of years. 

He's fit in great as Laine's C. U think Stastny signs an extension with the Jets. 

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Guldhjälmen already went to Jocke Lindström, but I’m wondering if the Guldpucken is possible if Elias has a strong WHC? 

Seems like the “Golden Puck” has almost become just another NHL award in recent years, but I’m thinking if Pettersson can top his historic SHL season with a great tournament for Team Sweden, he might very well end up being the Swedish player of the year.

I think that was the 2017 wasn't it?  They give it out in May I think.

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Stastny waived to go to WPG.  From his interviews it seems he really seems to like it in the Peg. He wants to win a Cup and the Jets give him that opportunity over the next couple of years. 

He's fit in great as Laine's C. U think Stastny signs an extension with the Jets. 

I don't know now if they can fit him in though... CapFriendly has the Jets with an estimated $20.6M in cap space this offseason but need to re-sign Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrissey, Enstrom, and to a lesser extent Lowry and Armia. I guess they can replace Lowry and Armia with cheaper depth players but if they were to re-sign Stastny he would have to come at a massive discount.

14 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

I don't really care about people being wrong, I just hate how no one gives benning or our prospects some faith and time. 

I see lots of support but I also see lots of really sad and pathetic bashing.   Being a prospect is not without enough pressure without having the fanbase for the team that has you in their organization start to have unrealistic expectations for  you.   I seriously doubt any of those saying really harsh and fabricated negative things were ever themselves remotely a prospect in any sport let alone hockey else they would understand the process and know that it takes every prospect the time it takes them but support will get them wherever their ceiling is versus crapping all over them.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Guldhjälmen already went to Jocke Lindström, but I’m wondering if the Guldpucken is possible if Elias has a strong WHC? 

Seems like the “Golden Puck” has almost become just another NHL award in recent years, but I’m thinking if Pettersson can top his historic SHL season with a great tournament for Team Sweden, he might very well end up being the Swedish player of the year.

Well, Petterssons only chance is if he gets the WHC MVP.. I think that price is Between William Karlsson and Victor Hedman.. Maybe Klingberg or Erik Karlsson if the other 2 has bad playoffs 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I don't know now if they can fit him in though... CapFriendly has the Jets with an estimated $20.6M in cap space this offseason but need to re-sign Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrissey, Enstrom, and to a lesser extent Lowry and Armia. I guess they can replace Lowry and Armia with cheaper depth players but if they were to re-sign Stastny he would have to come at a massive discount.

I imagine they’d let Enstrom go. @Monty would know better though. 

8 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I want Benning to overpay for Paul Stastny on a short-term deal. He is 32 years old and just coming off a 4 year $28M contract and had 52 points this season. A two year $14M deal ($7M per season) would be perfect if he wanted to come and play alongside a Boeser, Pettersson, or Gaudette. Plus, he's great at face-offs and in year 2 we could retain 50% salary and trade him for assets (this past deadline, Stastny was traded for a 1st, 3rd and a forward prospect).

Stastny hasn't played 82 games since 2006 (his first NHL season) With our record on injuries, he is the last player I want to overpay for. Imo he hasn't the impact to match his salary - there are better players to overpay for. 

He has not particularly impressed me in a lively Jets team either. I'd rather take Lowry.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I imagine they’d let Enstrom go. @Monty would know better though. 

Yeah, Entsrom’s gone. No doubt about that.

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Think the secrets out?                           (He's pretty much already gone, just my opinion).  

Sami Niku option 1, Logan Stanley # 2...

Dancing Gabe would be an option before Stanley.

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Did you watch any of the games, or just highlights of goals?  They were FAR from lacking physical play.

They are Swedish players, they are clearly all soft small perimeter players without a tough bone in their body. We made the mistake of not taking good North American kids instead of Pettersson and Juolevi. This will tarnish Benning's legacy.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1