The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Let Beagle and Sutter take the tougher match ups so Horvat can work on being more offensive imo.

Edit: I see aGENT did that with his suggested line up.

Aren’t both Beagle and Sutter right hand shots though?  I see Bo still taking the left side 

D zone draws.  

Every time I try to draft up this lineup....  I get frustrated.  

What a stupid collection of mediocre veteran wingers and 4th line centres. 

We desperately need to find a legitimate top 6 C.  Offensive wingers will be stifled by playing with Sutter and Beagle.  

I want to see a top 6 of:

Roussel Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

But honestly I have zero clue what to expect this lineup to look like.  They say they think EP should start on the wing, which I do agree with, except for the fact that there isn’t any real options in the organization that should fill that role.  The only wingers role I want him playing is on the left side with Horvat and Boeser, otherwise just send him down. 

i don’t see realistic room for Gaudette, Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovic or Demko...  and even Pettersson... but perhaps that’s not the worst thing to have these players play big minutes in Utica, and develop chemistry together. 

The losing roster I do expect to dress:

baertschi horvat boeser

granlund sutter eriksson

roussel beagle virtanen

schaller gaunce gagner

goldobin

Everyone is intent on having Pettersson in this lineup, but if he doesn’t have a skilled center to play with, why not just have him learn the position himself in Utica with Dahlen and co.  Imagine Hughes and Juolevi on that team as well!  Calder cup would be a legitimate goal, and I would need to subscribe to the AHL!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

If he's not playing with Boeser, which I think is a mistake, I wouldn't hate seeing him and Granlund take turns at center on a line. Granlund can make plays and is good defensively. Maybe Leipsic on the other wing, he's not bad defensively either.

He would play with Boeser on the top unit PP. I think we would be more of a threat having them on separate lines unless we need to load up late in a game. Until Pettersson can show a strong two way game at center in the NHL level, the Pettersson-Boeser full time duo can wait a bit longer. Although I would be curious how that pair would fare with a Roussel flanking their wing.

5 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Its time to sink or swim on some of these prospects. Gagner is a place holder that's place is slipping . Trade if you can for a pick but by the time camp is done, 2 or 3 players will be on IR and the waiver problem will be go

Yeah of course. A trade is always better.

But for others sake, not yours, for the guys that think we're doomed, have too many bodies and will lose guys to waivers in an impending disaster, the real point was if we had rookies like Goldobin or Leipsic making big strides? Winning roster spots... A Gagner could be waived. But even that wont be necessary.

We were not going to lose ANY good young players to waivers. Only if the coaching crew thought they were disposable. 

In a pinch, Pettersson & Gaudette, Dahlen, can all start in Utica. Which also won't be necessary because guys will be injured. We've just loaded the correct amount of depth to have competition, depth to do a better job covering injuries!

• Upvote 1

Closing the waivers subject in this thread, my last comment anyway after ranting (apologies)?

I'm going to try and throw a positive spin;

Leipsic, Motte, to a lesser extent Goldobin because its less a wildcard > what we are doing, while there is a window ''before'' Dahlen, Lind et al., arrive, is giving them a chance to be our next Burrows, our next Tanev! Also Pouliot before Hughes and Juolevi arrive?

We have given chances like that to Burrows, to Tanev, we're trying again. It had modest results with Lindon Vey, was a failure with Clendenning. Ran somewhere in-between recycling honestly higher tiered prospects, again to mixed results, in Granlund & Baertschi. But the only way to run the experiment is to make them win the job.  If Motte wants a job? Beat Gaunce, simple! Leipsic? Beat Goldobin & Baertschi.  Guys like Burrows joisted hoisted his ass over the boards and out hustled both veterans, and guys like Federov's brother.   

Guys will earn their jobs, and its a good thing! If not they become like Boucher, depth in Utica.  

Or somewhere.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

Everyone is intent on having Pettersson in this lineup, but if he doesn’t have a skilled center to play with, why not just have him learn the position himself in Utica with Dahlen and co.  Imagine Hughes and Juolevi on that team as well!  Calder cup would be a legitimate goal, and I would need to subscribe to the AHL!

I'm sure they'd dominate but I highly doubt Pettersson spends any time in Utica.

Though I can't wait to see CDC lose it's collective cheese when he likely gets papered down for the opening roster, before we put guys on IR :lol:

6 hours ago, 70seven said:

Why does Pettersson need a skilled center? Pettersson is and will be the skilled guy on the line. He's not like Boeser who is more of a finisher and would benefit from a good playmaker. A guy like Sutter could handle the minutes and win possession for the line being good a draws. He would be a good forechecker while being defensively responsible if Pettersson is caught making any rookie mistakes. Put a decent offensive player on the other wing (Baertschi, Leipsic and maybe even Eriksson) and there could be some chemistry. Maybe Pettersson could shock back Eriksson's offense to life.

6 hours ago, 70seven said:

We desperately need to find a legitimate top 6 C.  Offensive wingers will be stifled by playing with Sutter and Beagle.  

But honestly I have zero clue what to expect this lineup to look like.  They say they think EP should start on the wing, which I do agree with, except for the fact that there isn’t any real options in the organization that should fill that role.  The only wingers role I want him playing is on the left side with Horvat and Boeser, otherwise just send him down. 

i don’t see realistic room for Gaudette, Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovic or Demko...  and even Pettersson... but perhaps that’s not the worst thing to have these players play big minutes in Utica, and develop chemistry together. 

baertschi horvat boeser

granlund sutter eriksson

roussel beagle virtanen

schaller gaunce gagner

goldobin

I've gotten used to the idea of Sutter playing 2C and think that it can work. I think we just need to give Pettersson someone else alongside Sutter that can create.

Something like:

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Pettersson

I'm ok with Virt there because Horvat and Boeser can dominate and he can just make room for them and be a driving force. Or if not, I'd like to give Leipsic more time there too.

Then Baertschi can play a role he's more suited for and flourish with Pettersson, beefing up 2nd line production as Sutter creates a stabilizing presence.

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We have to hide some guys on IR Hossa style

trench foot, migraines, sore back or something

have somebody slide into a scum an lay there

Have someone pull a Brent Sopel and injure their back picking up a cracker :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Just now, nzan said:

I've gotten used to the idea of Sutter playing 2C and think that it can work. I think we just need to give Pettersson someone else alongside Sutter that can create.

Something like:

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Pettersson

I'm ok with Virt there because Horvat and Boeser can dominate and he can just make room for them and be a driving force. Or if not, I'd like to give Leipsic more time there too.

Then Baertschi can play a role he's more suited for and flourish with Pettersson, beefing up 2nd line production as Sutter creates a stabilizing presence.

Leipsic looked pretty good. Goldobin can play too 

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Why does Pettersson need a skilled center? Pettersson is and will be the skilled guy on the line. He's not like Boeser who is more of a finisher and would benefit from a good playmaker. A guy like Sutter could handle the minutes and win possession for the line being good a draws. He would be a good forechecker while being defensively responsible if Pettersson is caught making any rookie mistakes. Put a decent offensive player on the other wing (Baertschi, Leipsic and maybe even Eriksson) and there could be some chemistry. Maybe Pettersson could shock back Eriksson's offense to life.

That’s fair, I just disagree.

Sutter mostly played with Eriksson and Granlund last season.  Though they were deployed primarily as a matchup line, they were brutal offensively... which is not 100% on Sutter, but it has something to do with it imo. 

All im saying is that I’d rather see Pettersson play and dominate the AHL with Hughes* Dahlen, Lind, Juolevi, Gaudette, Demko, Gadjovic, Palmu, Jasek, etc... rather than flank Brandon Sutter...  just seems like great opportunity for him to build chemistry with his future teammates and also be deployed as a center in a top 6 role... at least for a few weeks.  Let him get warmed up and confident at the A level, and if he’s too good for that league, then you promote him, and Id bet he’s better prepared to faster translate his game at center to the NHL.

There’s zero reason to rush his development.  The Canucks look dreadful on paper with or without him.  Give Virtanen, Goldobin, Granlund, Gaudette, and Leipsic opportunities in the top 6 right off the bat if you’re going to play Sutter there.  There still might be a nice surprise or two within that group.

IMO You build a champion team in the AHL first.  It’s what Detroit became known for, what TB just did, and what TOR is doing.  I’d rather Pettersson be a part of that, than getting his ars kicked more often than not.   (That’s not a shot at the Canucks, it’s a nod to the rest of the league.  Man there’s a lot of good teams!)

You might aswell do that while while you have an abundance of mediocre veterans and tweener prospects that aren’t waiver exempt and signed to multi year contracts. 

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, 70seven said:

baertschi horvat boeser

granlund sutter eriksson

roussel beagle virtanen

schaller gaunce gagner

goldobin

Yeah, hoping the Canucks can unload some of the mediocre vets and acquire at least one top six skilled player.

8 hours ago, 70seven said:

That’s fair, I just disagree.

Sutter mostly played with Eriksson and Granlund last season.  Though they were deployed primarily as a matchup line, they were brutal offensively... which is not 100% on Sutter, but it has something to do with it imo. 

All im saying is that I’d rather see Pettersson play and dominate the AHL with Hughes* Dahlen, Lind, Juolevi, Gaudette, Demko, Gadjovic, Palmu, Jasek, etc... rather than flank Brandon Sutter...  just seems like great opportunity for him to build chemistry with his future teammates and also be deployed as a center in a top 6 role... at least for a few weeks.  Let him get warmed up and confident at the A level, and if he’s too good for that league, then you promote him, and Id bet he’s better prepared to faster translate his game at center to the NHL.

There’s zero reason to rush his development.  The Canucks look dreadful on paper with or without him.  Give Virtanen, Goldobin, Granlund, Gaudette, and Leipsic opportunities in the top 6 right off the bat if you’re going to play Sutter there.  There still might be a nice surprise or two within that group.

IMO You build a champion team in the AHL first.  It’s what Detroit became known for, what TB just did, and what TOR is doing.  I’d rather Pettersson be a part of that, than getting his ars kicked more often than not.   (That’s not a shot at the Canucks, it’s a nod to the rest of the league.  Man there’s a lot of good teams!)

You might aswell do that while while you have an abundance of mediocre veterans and tweener prospects that aren’t waiver exempt and signed to multi year contracts. 

If Pettersson is dominating the AHL, he gets called up sooner than later and should stick with the big club. This is what happened to Kucherov and he has taken off. If Pettersson is in the AHL for the full year, then he likely isn't too dominant.

I agree with your sentiment that we need to build a strong AHL team as a legitimate farm system to feed the big club, but it's hard to see someone like Pettersson stay there too long when he has already dominated a men's league in Sweden. I won't be disappointed if he starts the year in the AHL and even get a fair share of games, but he's the most likely player to transition early and it'll likely be as a winger to Sutter, who is a good support veteran for him to get into the NHL game (not a long term solution). It'll be interesting to see how long it'll take for Pettersson to eventually get to center, but Sutter has shown that he can play wing as well, so it could be a good tandem to get Pettersson some starts there at the NHL level.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, there's no way Pettersson isn't on the big club this year. :lol:

Never say never, of course. Knock on wood nothing bad happens but if he has a poor camp, picks up an injury he might need a conditioning stint to return from, etc. that might see him play games in Utica. The point that he's likely on the NHL roster is fair though.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Never say never, of course. Knock on wood nothing bad happens but if he has a poor camp, picks up an injury he might need a conditioning stint to return from, etc. that might see him play games in Utica. The point that he's likely on the NHL roster is fair though.

Call it speculation, but I'm willing to bet that one of the "unwritten terms" of his contract is that he starts with the parent club regardless.

• Upvote 1