The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I caught some of the play-off games and I thought he was good on the defensive side of the puck.  Consistently skating hard on the back check and lifting opponent's sticks like we saw Jake doing last season.

3 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah, he's a pretty good 200 foot player. He has incredible awareness and iq in all zones, not just the offensive zone. 

Awesome to hear.  His scoring is getting a lot of hype as of late (which is great) but I liked when the Canucks drafted him that he was good all around player.  Boeser surprised me in that regard as well.  

9 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

He's so productive on offense because his opponents rarely have the puck.  His +/- was the best in the entire SHL during both the regular and post seasons.  In the playoffs he was only on the ice for 2 goals against...and 19 goals for.

He backchecks hard and will initiate contact.  Despite his low weight he still has the balance and hands to get the puck off his check effectively.  His hockey IQ also allows him to turn a defensive play into a scoring opportunity with regularity.  He'll do things like stop up to close down a passing lane, often selling that he's going to glide through the lane until his opponent passes.  Then he suddenly stops, snags the puck and he's gone the other way.  Got an unreasonable amount of breakaways from reading the play incredibly well which boosted his 5 on 5 numbers immensely relative to last year where he did much less scoring without the man advantage.

Can't remember being so excited about a rookie.  I was stunned by Brock's performance last year and really hoping Elias can make the adjustment and have a great rookie season as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

@cory40: I don’t remember my 1000th post, but it probably happened somewhere like the Jordan Schroeder thread. :( 

(So I’m a little jealous you got to have yours in the legendary EP thread.)

I think your 1000 th post was in Richard Brodeur lol

• Haha 2