The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

I think its funny how many think EP is too light and thin to play safely in the league. But sooooo many ppl were up in arms that Jordan Subban was never given a chance. He was super small for his position and bad defensively, but give him a chance. EP has all the skill and smarts in the world, but he better eat lots of steak and potatos!!!

It's the nature of the media in this market. Always something to complain or nit-pick. Even if they have to make stuff up as they go. And the worst part is the 'average' fan eats it all up. EP will be a force regardless of how big he is at 19. 

3 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

One said it looked ugly. Another one said they didn't like high jersey numbers (yeah, 40 is apparently too high). Totally asinine.

round shapes and horizontal shapes make someone look wider. Maybe having the #40 is strategy to look wider. #11 would be the opposite  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

round shapes and horizontal shapes make someone look wider. Maybe having the #40 is strategy to look wider. #11 would be the opposite  

I like that but 50 is better, as in, Canucks win the cup at age 50

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Burrows should be retired..........I can't think of a player who scored more big goals for this org than Burr

Bure, Naslund, Daniel...Come on he played with two all stars and he had some good seasons but not in same conversation as Bure, Smyl, Naslund,Linden..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I guess keeping expectations low is a good thing if you're afraid of being disappointed, but I just listened to a few podcasts and I can't believe people are so worried about this guy. Take off your helmet, kneepads, elbowpads and legwarmers. Take the training wheels off your tricycle cuz it might tip over.

Man I can't wait for this kid to start lighting up the NHL so I can stop hearing about how I should keep my expectations low. The things he does well are snipe, dangle and make passes on the tape. Those traits will translate in any league and will make everyone around him better.

No way, I’m keeping my expectations loooow.

If he can hit 35-40 I’ll be very happy (and would have felt the same last year with Boeser) and it gives him a solid season to build on.

If he can snipe dangle and pass his way to more than that then please pass the gravy!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I guess keeping expectations low is a good thing if you're afraid of being disappointed, but I just listened to a few podcasts and I can't believe people are so worried about this guy. Take off your helmet, kneepads, elbowpads and legwarmers. Take the training wheels off your tricycle cuz it might tip over.

Man I can't wait for this kid to start lighting up the NHL so I can stop hearing about how I should keep my expectations low. The things he does well are snipe, dangle and make passes on the tape. Those traits will translate in any league and will make everyone around him better.

I think we all hope and secretly expect Pettersson to be our future. Nothing more nothing less... the issue I have is should he not get 60-80points this season, I don’t want people to be disappointed. 

It is a new environment and style of play. Give him the time he needs. If he takes off from the word go, brilliant, but if he doesn’t it doesn’t mean he won’t later. 

I think a lot feels the same way. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nzan said:

No way, I’m keeping my expectations loooow.

If he can hit 35-40 I’ll be very happy (and would have felt the same last year with Boeser) and it gives him a solid season to build on.

If he can snipe dangle and pass his way to more than that then please pass the gravy!

I'm dreaming big.

70 + point rookie season.

Calder Trophy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If Virtanen worked on his hands during the off season, and has made a big improvement there, I'd like to see him on Pettersson's wing. He's got speed and grit, and if anyone takes liberties with Elias, Jake could step in to at least stand up for him. I'd also like to see a veteran with some size and skill on his other wing.

Eriksson - Pettersson - Virtanen

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Virtanen worked on his hands during the off season, and has made a big improvement there, I'd like to see him on Pettersson's wing. He's got speed and grit, and if anyone takes liberties with Elias, Jake could step in to at least stand up for him. I'd also like to see a veteran with some size and skill on his other wing.

I agree, Pettersson is never going to be a big guy so he'll need some size and speed on his wings. Virtanen could be a perfect fit there, but Lind might be an even better fit in the future since he has better offensive tools but size and feistiness to his game.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind

Gadj-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Jasek

Leipsic          in 2 years time.

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree, Pettersson is never going to be a big guy so he'll need some size and speed on his wings. Virtanen could be a perfect fit there, but Lind might be an even better fit in the future since he has better offensive tools but size and feistiness to his game.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind

Gadj-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Jasek

Count me as a skeptic, but I think he's got training camp and pre season to prove that he's a Canuck this year, let alone two years.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Then next year Dahlen when King Loui goes TDL anywhere else.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind

Gadj-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Jasek

Huge stretch thinking Gadj will be a regular with boeser and horvat . 

10 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Count me as a skeptic, but I think he's got training camp and pre season to prove that he's a Canuck this year, let alone two years.

Goldy is no guarantee but he has so much skill he deserves a good hard look this year and I think he'll prove himself.

Put him with defensively responsible players who also have some offensive toolkits and he can be a great player long term

• Upvote 1