The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He's part Viking, part roadrunner and has an element of confidence and cheek that doesn't go over the line to cross into arrogance.  Just...so refreshing.  

He loves the game and it shows.  He's so matter of fact about it all that it's almost like he's shrugging at everyone that we don't just get that.

Those who really questioned his lack of size are seeing that it matters little.  Unless someone is going to body slam him to the ice...which isn't supposed to happen....he's willing and able to stand his ground.  I think what's impressed me most is that he is so feisty...that he takes umbrage and has little (no) fear.  I expected he could skate his way out of things...but am pleasantly surprised to see his edge.  

Hate the shot blocking...but his interview that basically said you have to play d to have o sums up his team first attitude.  No prima donna here, he's the real deal.  And the final feather in this cap is how he could have likely got the EN for the hatty.  But...didn't.  It's almost like he isn't willing to have things handed to him. 

God, I love this kid.  I see Bure'esque things but even better?  Is that possible?

Yes, exactly the same sentiments.  His confidence is supreme to where he doesn't even hesitate or question his abilities, yet there's no bragging or arrogance.  Might have expected him to be tentative in his return, but he never shies away from anything, whether contact, corner battles, or pucks fired his way.  He doesn't agitate at all, but just "gets right in there" and does what needs to be done.  He so totally understands hockey that he just goes out and does it, no matter the situation or end of the ice it happens to be in.  Watching him, he's almost always the first forward back, and engages behind his own net in puck battles instead of hanging high hoping to cherry-pick.  As such he's the epitome of leading-by-example.  And as one commentator said, who didn't expect him to bury that breakaway?

Comparisons are inevitable, but while Bure had big confidence it also went a bit over into self-righteousness or indignation imo, as opposed to team-first.  He played a different style, but EP definitely has more play-making potential.  EP's shot is better already, both in strength and accuracy, whereas Pavel would basically deke himself into depositing pucks into empty nets.  Both have amazingly fast hands, but I think EP's on-ice IQ is at another level as well, whereas Bure relied on his speed and quickness to bewilder and physically beat the opposition.  Built differently, Bure was more inclined to initiate contact given opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/mckenzie-pettersson-not-taking-his-foot-off-the-pedal-1.1200874

Bob McKenzie says Elias could get 30 35 goals. But todays NHL is to hard to keep up the pace he is on. Which I agree, But would not be surprised if he keeps his 1.4 ppg pace. Considering learning center, learning the ice and doing fine! 

Maybe Bob is right. He knows his stuff. But EP is Canucks #1 offensive option at the moment. And Boeser isn't scoring many goals right now.

I think EP gets 40+ goals.

10 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Has he been that much of a force so far this year? He didnt mention Erik Karlsson either cause he has been trash so far for the Sharks

Haha, I forgot about Karlsson. If you want to say the best Swedish players of October then this list might be fine. Otherwise I think its hard to mention the top 10 Swedes in the league without Karlsson or Hedman

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

Has he been that much of a force so far this year? He didnt mention Erik Karlsson either cause he has been trash so far for the Sharks

A Norris winner(Hedman) and a two time Norris winner(Karlsson) should top that list. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

What a game.  Lost in his two goals was that missed back check on the Greenway goal and you can tell EP40 was determined to redeem himself.  It's not like he lost his man, just got outmuscled, but I am sure he blamed himself for that.  As for his 2nd goal, man, shades of Bure.  And you can tell he wanted no part of that empty netter for the hatty, with his awareness he probably knew where to be to score instead he covered for that puck hog Hutton:P.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

A Norris winner(Hedman) and a two time Norris winner(Karlsson) should top that list. 

One is injured and the other playing horribly.   The list was ranking how they are playing "right now" and being injured, Hedman isn't playing at all right now (is on IR).   

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Couldn't agree more, well said!

Bure had the skill and speed but what EP brings is calculation.  He maps out then executes.  He's thinking ahead of the play...like he knew he was going to do a one timer if he got the puck, and did.  It's like a defensive driver who is considering different "outs" (and ins) and anticipating what might happen so he's ready for it.

There's something so incredibly special here.  At this early stage, wow.  Sky's the limit.  This is the most excited I've been about hockey in a long, long time.

I think he thinks similar to a motocross racer

So many things are happening so fast with different fast riders in front of you ,Jumps, ruts, riders, crashes in front of you, with terrain that's always changing  etc

He is able to look ahead and process the information to the quick changing environment around him and able to make last minute decisions that give him the best advantage to proceed and will take what is available to him on instinct

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Couldn't agree more, well said!

Bure had the skill and speed but what EP brings is calculation.  He maps out then executes.  He's thinking ahead of the play...like he knew he was going to do a one timer if he got the puck, and did.  It's like a defensive driver who is considering different "outs" (and ins) and anticipating what might happen so he's ready for it.

There's something so incredibly special here.  At this early stage, wow.  Sky's the limit.  This is the most excited I've been about hockey in a long, long time.

I had never seen any player as fast as Bure, not even the Roadrunner. Bure combined his speed with an ability to handle the puck at that high speed. We used to look at one another and ask whether we had actually seen what we just saw! 

EP40 is a different kinda cat. Your bolded above is to the point. He is thinking the game ala Gretzky not just at where the puck is going but how the opposing player is trying to make his play. His anticipation of that knee high flip last night and his interception of same was unbelievable. We all have to know that like Boeser last year, NHL defenders will adjust. I do not want to get everyone riled up again but EP40 has to be protected big time. The entire roster has to recognize that this kid will take them higher than they have ever been before. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I think he thinks similar to a motocross racer

So many things are happening so fast with different fast riders in front of you ,Jumps, ruts, riders, crashes in front of you, with terrain that's always changing  etc

He is able to look ahead and process the information to the quick changing environment around him and able to make last minute decisions that give him the best advantage to proceed and will take what is available to him on instinct

Might be the uni-cycle? or he rode a old kx 420? That would teach him to be alert! But my money is on the uni cycle!image.thumb.png.155e44ecf363949209605c3ee9833cb5.png

Edited by cory40

What really impresses me 7 games in is this: Everyone (or most, and you know who you are) claimed he would struggle 5 on 5 to put up points and would dominate on the power play. But it has been his 5 on 5 play where most of his points have been claimed!

Edited by cory40
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

God, I love this kid.  I see Bure'esque things but even better?  Is that possible?

5 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Not only possible but methinks PROBABLE!

Opinions from you two are impactful to me here. I've been mulling over whether or not Pettersson could end up as good or even better than Bure, but I've been hesitant to voice those thoughts since people (especially those who grew up watching Bure) don't react well to anyone being put above Bure (as I learned the hard way at the end of last season when I compared Bure and Boeser's rookie seasons). You two however watched Bure as a Canuck, so it's intriguing to hear that even you see the potential for Pettersson to get to and possibly even surpass Bure's level. I wonder how prevalent this sentiment is around early 90s Canuck fans?

• Upvote 4