The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

The most fascinating thing is the constant references to all the greats... Gretzky and Bure in this clip... 

Don’t know whether to smile or cry for joy... so bloody stoked Benning pulled this rabbit out of the hat...

In 20-30 years when we speak about Canucks, this season will be brought up in conversations the same way Bure is still being brought up.... and possibly even more favourably...

His moves, makes people all over the world wanna get out of bed any time of the day to watch. 

Hopefully he can lead us to the promised land, but even should that fail, I’m sure they are already figuring out, where they will hang no 40 from the rafters. 

One thing I’m sure of... the days of empty seats at Rodgers will officially be over soon if not already. Watching Pettersson play is the hottest ticket in town. 

Just sensational...

So Pettersson is a cross between Gretzky and Bure.  Am I dreaming?  :wub:

Here is Gretzky on the left wing skating up the ice and using his great slap shot to roof it home.  He looks like a 1980's version of Pettersson…  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Hmm, between this and Domi's taunts, has Matheson lost the respect of other players for not answering the bell in Vancouver?

Doubt he ever had much respect to begin with. But it definitely isn’t a good look when you’re challenged for a dirty play and don’t respond.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Hmm, between this and Domi's taunts, has Matheson lost the respect of other players for not answering the bell in Vancouver?

imo, this hit from kane with the stick doesnt feel as bad as mathesons hit on petterson. he hits petterson from behind to get him off balance and then deliberately pushes his upper body towards the ice. Its not strange at all that the head hits the ice hard on a play like that. i still say matheson should pay for it. 

Edited by Mrwipeout
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

The most fascinating thing is the constant references to all the greats... Gretzky and Bure in this clip... 

Don’t know whether to smile or cry for joy... so bloody stoked Benning pulled this rabbit out of the hat...

In 20-30 years when we speak about Canucks, this season will be brought up in conversations the same way Bure is still being brought up.... and possibly even more favourably...

His moves, makes people all over the world wanna get out of bed any time of the day to watch. 

Hopefully he can lead us to the promised land, but even should that fail, I’m sure they are already figuring out, where they will hang no 40 from the rafters. 

One thing I’m sure of... the days of empty seats at Rodgers will officially be over soon if not already. Watching Pettersson play is the hottest ticket in town. 

Just sensational...

I get this feeling of pride watching his highlights, grinning as if he was my kid.

I wonder if JB takes time out to watch highlights and grin like the rest of us.. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

I get this feeling of pride watching his highlights, grinning as if he was my kid.

I wonder if JB takes time out to watch highlights and grin like the rest of us.. 

I don’t know about the highlights, but he’ll be delighted with this pick. He is going to be the crown jewel in his scouting career. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-2019-calder-trophy-race/

The 2019 Calder Trophy Race

JANUARY 19TH, 2019

Test-THW-line-break-2.jpg
The discussion surrounding the Calder Memorial Trophy race heading into the 2018-19 season felt very similar to 2017-18 as there was no one clear-cut favorite at the start. Unlike in 2015-16 and 2016-17, there wasn’t a generational talent like Connor McDavid or Austin Matthews taking over headlines as they made their NHL debuts. Of course, that didn’t mean this was a weak crop of rookies this season, as almost every team in the league had one or two rookies who looked primed to make an immediate impact right out of the gate.

By the halfway point in the season, though, the Calder Trophy race has narrowed considerably. In fact, if things had gone smoothly, this topic wouldn’t even warrant discussion as Elias Pettersson ran away with the conversation early on. However, as the hockey season is long and arduous, injuries have derailed what looked like a sure outcome for Pettersson.

Now, as we near the 50-game mark, there’s a real conversation to be had about who will be nominated and win the 2019 Calder Trophy.

The Favorite: Elias Pettersson

It’s not hard to see why Pettersson has been the favorite to win the Calder Trophy for most of 2018-19. Since his first game, he has been a complete revelation for the Vancouver Canucks, driving scoring while helping to bring the team back to relevance after they struggled in prior years. He started the season out on an absolutely torrid scoring pace, posting a five-game scoring streak in his first five games while going on to score seven goals and 10 points by the end of October.

Pettersson has maintained this dominating play throughout the first half, leading rookie scoring with 22 goals and 42 points in 38 games. If he had been able to stay healthy, there would be no doubt that he would win the 2019 Calder Trophy.

Elias Pettersson

Elias Pettersson has been an absolute sensation for the Vancouver Canucks throughout his rookie season. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward)

Unfortunately for the Canucks and Pettersson, though, injury struck the rookie star. While it hasn’t been a season-ending ordeal like what happened to teammate Brock Boeser, there is always a concern when your rookie star is unable to take the ice. And much like Boeser from last season, missing too much time can turn a Calder Trophy win into just a Calder nomination

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is that leg/knee still bothering him? After the goalie knocked him down yesterday he looked like he couldn't put weight on his leg as he skated off the ice. Granted he didn't miss a shift, but that looks worrisome considering it wasn't even a play where it looked like his leg was involved.

18 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Is that leg/knee still bothering him? After the goalie knocked him down yesterday he looked like he couldn't put weight on his leg as he skated off the ice. Granted he didn't miss a shift, but that looks worrisome considering it wasn't even a play where it looked like his leg was involved.

Hopefully unrelated and if it is, hopefully the break here gives him more time to heal it and strengthen around it.

45 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Yea that worried me. He still played great after it happened, but he did seem a little off. Hopefully it was just a slash or something that stung.