The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

Apparently Swedish media got a new nick for him... 

"Kinder" because he is full of surprises 

I wonder if everyone on here will get the reference. I know that Kinder Surprise are illegal in America.

Now I'm enjoying thinking about what you reading this who has never heard or seen a Kinder Surprise before is thinking it is. The fact that I just said it is illegal adds to the intrigue. 

Spoiler

image.png.af4c6808d4c179566c5934a430fc5ec9.png

Edited by DeltaSwede

On 5/9/2019 at 11:05 PM, J-P said:

EP will be on a line with William Nylander and Hornqvist from the Penguins when WC starts today. 

Will be interesting to see as Hornqvist is the kind of player (tough, creates space, goes to the net) many want to see with EP. 

I always like Hornqvist.  Hard working, Burrow like determination, will go in the corners and the front of the net. 

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

I wonder if everyone on here will get the reference. I know that Kinder Surprise are illegal in America.

Now I'm enjoying thinking about what you reading this who has never heard or seen a Kinder Surprise before is thinking it is. The fact that I just said it is illegal adds to the intrigue. 

Hide contents   Hide contents

image.png.af4c6808d4c179566c5934a430fc5ec9.png

There is actually Kinder Joy in america which is pretty much the same thing but with chocolate cream and crackers :D

joy.jpg

Edited by ForzaTikare

On 5/8/2019 at 7:05 PM, GoldenAlien said:

In a redraft Pettersson wouldn't be there for Dallas and Colorado to take.  He's a clear step above Hischier and Patrick and would be drafted in their spots instead.

In fact, it's almost certain that Pettersson would go #1.  Teams don't usually take a defenseman #1 unless they're much better than the best forward.  If a forward is projected to be top line material, they always come out ahead, like Tavares vs Hedman, Stamkos vs Doughty, MacKinnon vs Jones or even Yakupov vs Murray.  Defensemen tend to go first in weak forward crop years -- Johnson vs Staal, Ekblad vs Reinhart, Dahlin vs Svechnikov.  

Anyhow, a redraft would likely see a Pettersson - Heiskanen - Makar - Hischier top four.  At this point, I'm not sure I'd take Patrick over Brannstrom and Glass, and probably a few of Necas, Thomas, Chytil, Jokiharju, and Tolvanen will turn out to be better as well.  Even Comtois and Poehling may have the same upside as Patrick.     

Only goes to show, always draft for high ceiling and not high floor with the top picks.

but we are not talking about projected to be top line material or top pairing etc. we are talking about based on what we have seen in the entire season both heiskanen and pettersson have shown they are the real deal. Heiskanen shown he can easily handle the entirity of the regular season + playoff hence in a redraft i'd say he will go before pettersson knowing what they both projected to be. Pettersson is going to be great in this league but until he's proven he can handle an entire season without burning out. Heiskanen will be worth more at this current moment. Dallas will gladly pass if we offer pettersson for heiskanen straight up without even having to think

On 5/9/2019 at 12:52 AM, GoldenAlien said:

What's up with this conundrum over smaller skilled players?  Not to say that Pettersson will also put on 40+lbs, but why wouldn't he be 6'2", 190 -195lbs in a couple years?

I have been saying this ever since we drafted him; there should be virtually zero concern over his weight, long-term. He has a good frame to pack on some weight, and while I too don't believe he will ever be a heavyweight he will at least likely put on enough to ensure he doesn't get manhandled. I expect him to max out perhaps a shade under 200 and that is just fine imo.  People have to remember that the Sedins maxed out under 190 and they were plenty durable.

With this all said, Pettersson isn't a physical force now and likely won't be later either - so a big, skilled 1LW is still a hope I have for this team.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:23 PM, wai_lai416 said:

but we are not talking about projected to be top line material or top pairing etc. we are talking about based on what we have seen in the entire season both heiskanen and pettersson have shown they are the real deal. Heiskanen shown he can easily handle the entirity of the regular season + playoff hence in a redraft i'd say he will go before pettersson knowing what they both projected to be. Pettersson is going to be great in this league but until he's proven he can handle an entire season without burning out. Heiskanen will be worth more at this current moment. Dallas will gladly pass if we offer pettersson for heiskanen straight up without even having to think

Well you have a point. And I bet .00000001 % of all hockey people would agree with you. So at least their is a chance.  I do believe Elias has become the Canucks best center on a team lacking depth! Imagine what Elias could have done on a Dallas team. But wait for a year with Hughes feeding him the puck.

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

I have been saying this ever since we drafted him; there should be virtually zero concern over his weight, long-term. He has a good frame to pack on some weight, and while I too don't believe he will ever be a heavyweight he will at least likely put on enough to ensure he doesn't get manhandled. I expect him to max out perhaps a shade under 200 and that is just fine imo.  People have to remember that the Sedins maxed out under 190 and they were plenty durable.

With this all said, Pettersson isn't a physical force now and likely won't be later either - so a big, skilled 1LW is still a hope I have for this team.

Fortunately, this is a great summer for getting power forwards.  Laine, Trouba and Connor are due for new deals so Winnipeg will have to let Hayes walk.  Both Lee and Nelson are UFAs and the Isles may only be able to re-sign one.  Connolly is going for a raise on his $1.5m deal but Washington is right up against the cap and won't be able to afford him.  Carolina tried to re-sign Ferland before the trade deadline but the two sides were reportedly far apart; there's a good chance he's going to hit the market.  And Hayes, Lee, Nelson, Ferland, and Connolly are all 27 or 28 to boot. 

Simmonds had a down year and might be amenable to a two year deal, for a higher AAV, which the Canucks can afford.  He's got a relentless work ethic and is only one season removed from being a 50 point player.  He could be a good 2RW for Bo.  Add in one of the aforementioned LW power forwards and we should be golden.

On the pipe dream front both Hall and Kreider only have one year left on their contracts... but those trades will cost.  I'd love to see a Goldobin for Perlini trade, which would be lower risk.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GoldenAlien said:

Fortunately, this is a great summer for getting power forwards.  Laine, Trouba and Connor are due for new deals so Winnipeg will have to let Hayes walk.  Both Lee and Nelson are UFAs and the Isles may only be able to re-sign one.  Connolly is going for a raise on his $1.5m deal but Washington is right up against the cap and won't be able to afford him.  Carolina tried to re-sign Ferland before the trade deadline but the two sides were reportedly far apart; there's a good chance he's going to hit the market.  And Hayes, Lee, Nelson, Ferland, and Connolly are all 27 or 28 to boot. 

Simmonds had a down year and might be amenable to a two year deal, for a higher AAV, which the Canucks can afford.  He's got a relentless work ethic and is only one season removed from being a 50 point player.  He could be a good 2RW for Bo.  Add in one of the aforementioned LW power forwards and we should be golden.

On the pipe dream front both Hall and Kreider only have one year left on their contracts... but those trades will cost.  I'd love to see a Goldobin for Perlini trade, which would be lower risk.

We must do everything we can to get Ferland. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:40 AM, The 5th Line said:

Got Petey's rookie card today, traded it for my Kotkaniemi rookie and rookie canvas....I just absolutely fleeced the guy.  Weoooo

Congrats. The other guy is probably a Habs fan and saying the same in the Habs forum. 

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

While Ferland would certainly check some boxes, I would much rather go after Lee if by some chance he became available.  He has the skill to compliment Brock and Petey; Ferland could do the job, but he would hinder his line from reaching their full potential imo.

• Upvote 3

On 5/11/2019 at 11:22 AM, ForzaTikare said:

Apparently Swedish media got a new nick for him... 

"Kinder" because he is full of surprises 

I think a better nickname would be "Tinder" because everyone he plays with gets hooked up. 

16 hours ago, Odd. said:

I had thought that same way a few months ago. But he seems to get injured lots. Does he have concussion issues?

I would rather 230lb lee for Petey's right wing but I doubt he makes it to UFA.

Edit: Kloubek beat me to it lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/opw1RK/darfor-tranar-han-med-reserverna

Elias is disappointed with his play so he gets out and practise more. 

Including a little vid where he practise shots. 

I recorded a few of the games and I watched the Sweden vs Italy game last night, Pettersson seemed to struggle. He doesn't shoot enough. Tries to do too much in a phone booth and lost the puck a few times. He needs to shoot more.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Watched the Sweden vs Norway game and the commentator said that Pettersson is probably the most talented player on that team. I thought that was nice, but watching the games, Nylander is playing out of his mind. He has really good speed, puck possession and confidence, and he wants to score. There was one play where he had the puck and was playing keep-away skating around the O-zone, even took a hit and kept the puck on his stick. That bit of grit was impressive. They were saying that Nylander is using this tournament as a springboard to the upcoming season. If he plays like he is now, he's going to have a very good year. I never wanted Nylander before, but he would be a great addition to the Canucks.

• Upvote 1