The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

When do you think he could become the #1 center that we need ?

It is notable, that when it comes to offense, our shortcoming over the past few years has been a lack of high-end scoring. We have a great 2nd line (at least we did in 2019-20), but to really push our offense to strong levels, we need top players who can score 90+ points. I'm hoping Petey and maybe even Boeser can get to that level some day soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I have a confession to make. I took 3-4 years away from Canucks hockey because it was effecting me personally.

I didn't know that Petey was a centerman till today. I feel a lot, a lot better about  this team generally.

You'd be forgiven for not noticing, given his poor faceoff percentages. Miller sometimes takes the faceoffs instead since he's so much better at it. Petey also did play some wing before arriving in the NHL as well.

• Like 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I have a confession to make. I took 3-4 years away from Canucks hockey because it was effecting me personally.

I didn't know that Petey was a centerman till today. I feel a lot, a lot better about  this team generally.

He's not really a Center. He's my favorite player, but lets be real, JT Miller has always had to take the faceoffs because Petey is terrible at it. If you can't take faceoffs you aren't a Center. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

When do you think he could become the #1 center that we need ?

He already is a #1 centre.  Even with a terrible start he still has more points than Höglander and only has one less point than BO.  He is one good game away from being a point a game player right now.  Once he starts to get his timing and confidence back you will see him rack up the points.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

He's not really a Center. He's my favorite player, but lets be real, JT Miller has always had to take the faceoffs because Petey is terrible at it. If you can't take faceoffs you aren't a Center. 

Being able to take the faceoffs is not the only prerequisite to being a centre.  Petey plays like a centre in every way, he is not a winger and never will be.  He just needs to improve on his faceoffs.  That will come with more time and practice.  He already has a good 200' game which alot of #1 centres don't have.  Petey has admitted he needs to work on his faceoffs, it's not like he is satisfied with that part of his game.  Miller isn't actually a centre, he can't carry his own line like Petey and BO.  Miller is a complimentary player who is good on faceoffs and the PK.  He shouldn't be on PP1.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Being able to take the faceoffs is not the only prerequisite to being a centre.  Petey plays like a centre in every way, he is not a winger and never will be.  He just needs to improve on his faceoffs.  That will come with more time and practice.  He already has a good 200' game which alot of #1 centres don't have.  Petey has admitted he needs to work on his faceoffs, it's not like he is satisfied with that part of his game.  Miller isn't actually a centre, he can't carry his own line like Petey and BO.  Miller is a complimentary player who is good on faceoffs and the PK.  He shouldn't be on PP1.

With his amazing hand/eye coordination, I think Pete will become very good at faceoffs in the future.  In fact, the coaches should get Hogs practicing the faceoffs as well; they may need him from time to time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can't play Center and barely break 40% on faceoffs in your career. Maybe he can get there, but right now he's not a Center and probably should be playing on the wing. I agree 100% Miller isn't a Center either. You are seeing what happens when you don't have proper Centers, you chase the puck all game.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

At least Boeser is playing hard and can skate and getting scoring chances. WTF did Pettersson do this summer? He is at least one step slower and 20 pounds lighter. Useless. He should be sent to AHL for conditioning like Tryamkin.

Edited by Maddogy
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, MrCanuck94 said:

Take him off PP1. Bench him. Scratch him.

Send a god damn message. Green talks about treating all his players the same, let's talk the talk and walk the walk.

Also, before I get any hate.. Petey is my favourite player.

Recall how quite a few fans wanted Pettersson to be the captain? :lol:

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

17 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with his character. He's a good kid, but he's young and getting handouts. Light a fire and get that passion and confidence back.

He is a lazy bum who wasted the off season. Bad timing, bad hands and bad luck are all forgivable. But this guy did not bother to get a bit quicker on his skates and little stronger. WTF did he do this summer? This is very unprofessional.

Edited by Maddogy
  • Wat 2
  • RoughGame 2

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

With his amazing hand/eye coordination, I think Pete will become very good at faceoffs in the future.  In fact, the coaches should get Hogs practicing the faceoffs as well; they may need him from time to time.

Actually a really good point 

Hot take:

Petey will NOT be a Canuck after his contract is up

He's been on a steady decline since his rookie campaign and it's due to various reasons:

-He's become predictable. The whole league knows how to deal with him now

-He's weak AF. Honestly, what kind of training regime does this kid have?

I've seen some Petey for Eichel talk out there. If Eichel could get the surgery and get back to his old self, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

I've enjoyed the Petey ride but I hate to say it, but I think the honeymoon is over

• Like 1
  • Wat 4
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, NickTheGreek said:

Hot take:

Petey will NOT be a Canuck after his contract is up

He's been on a steady decline since his rookie campaign and it's due to various reasons:

-He's become predictable. The whole league knows how to deal with him now

-He's weak AF. Honestly, what kind of training regime does this kid have?

I've seen some Petey for Eichel talk out there. If Eichel could get the surgery and get back to his old self, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

I've enjoyed the Petey ride but I hate to say it, but I think the honeymoon is over

His lack of professionalism is alarming. Young players have to get stronger and faster in the off seasons. The Sedins are prime examples of how hard work and disciplined training will make you stronger and fast enough to generate separation. Horvat proved that skating can be improved. Pettersson is a talented lazy bum. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

I really hope Petey shakes himself out of this funk. This team and fanbase needs him to. He is too good to be like this right now. 

I do think the criticiam against him are fair. He chose to sit out and hold out for more money and show up to camp late. He wanted the big bucks and focused a lot on his branding over the past year. He wanted to be in the spotlight and now he has it. He acts like a superstar, well he needs to begin producing like one. I have no problem with the criticism he is facing. 

Its up to him to figure this out. I sure hope he does, this team is depending on it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Quite frankly, I think Pettersson's mediocre start is being blown out of proportion. Yes, he doesn't look great, but it's not like he's the only star who's ever been in a slump. If the slump turns into an entire poor season, then maybe we have something to talk about.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1