The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

This is very true. But when you have players like Evan Bouchard, who is 2nd in OHL ppg scoring for draft eligible players (svechnikov is 1st), Adam boqvist who is having a better 17 yr old season than Erik karlsson, and Quinn Hughs who, as a defenseman, is scoring at the same rate in NCAA as Brady tkachuk, is not unreasonable to think that the BPA available at number 4 in this draft is in fact a defensemen. 

I agree whole heartily with this.  But...

The disclaimer in this is that Brady has NHL size and speed. Although nothing elite. So he's the safe pick!  Hughes, for example, does not have the size. And has he shown he can close out and box out a Svechnikov calibre forward as they come up ice? Boqvist seems to be showing that he can in Europe. One or two less questions? Which along with the puck skills has him one peg up on the BPA argument. Bouchard, while mobile, and owning thoroughly demonstrated top level decision making, does not again have top speed either (like Brady).   

Among the top performers, those without holes in their game; I see the pure in-guardable athleticism as the item that should separate the player as BPA. I'm leaning to Boqvist 4th. Bouchard as another safe pick, but with higher performance, 5th.  Then Tkachuk & have not decided between Wahlstrom,, Dobson & Hughes to follow.       

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Why do people insist on giving players rather demeaning nicknames?  First it's calling Tryamkin a tree or a dumb simple-minded "Groot", then it's all about Brock's hair, now Pettersson's long neck?  I'd expect those from mocking Flame or Oiler fans.  How about something actually positive in regards to their HOCKEY SKILL for a change?

I actually agree. I hated Tryamkin being called Groot. If you wouldn't say something to a person's face I don't think it makes a suitable nickname. Im completely confident no one would walk up to Tryamkin, pull out a step ladder to look him in the eye and refer to him as Groot. Just a hunch.

For the record I have nothing wrong with Flow. I would say that to Brocks face then ask to run my fingers through it.

Edited by shayster007
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Why do people insist on giving players rather demeaning nicknames?  First it's calling Tryamkin a tree or a dumb simple-minded "Groot", then it's all about Brock's hair, now Pettersson's long neck?  I'd expect those from mocking Flame or Oiler fans.  How about something actually positive in regards to their HOCKEY SKILL for a change?

ur username.

55 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I actually agree. I hated Tryamkin being called Groot. If you wouldn't say something to a person's face I don't think it makes a suitable nickname. Im completely confident no one would walk up to Tryamkin, pull out a step ladder to look him in the eye and refer to him as Groot. Just a hunch.

For the record I have nothing wrong with Flow. I would say that to Brocks face then ask to run my fingers through it.

I'm an advocate of calling Tryamkin "T-rex" B)

The Flow seems to have stuck, which is fine.

But Pettersson.....Hmmm.....That's tough.

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

A little disappointed in the Province`s coverage of Pettersson`s great accomplishment. There hasn`t been any. For a fan base tired of watching their team lose and rebuild for years, we need some good news. I guess the Province likes to dwell on the negatives (injuries, losing, lack of scoring, Hutton benched, poor goaltending, poor D, etc.), instead of rallying behind the team and with the fans, what an exciting future for this kid and how Benning and his staff deserve a lot of credit for seeing something special in him. I hope the Sedins teach him early to ignore the lousy sports media here.  

Doesn't fit the "Benning = bad" sensationalistic narrative. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Gonna call Pettersson “Cheese String”. Cause I like cheese strings and I like Pettersson. 

I'm going to call Pettersson "The Nightmare King" because he looks like a lich and eats the dreams of his opponents.

• Upvote 1