The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

IMG_1989.GIF

Sorry if I seem like I'm going after you this morning, but how has Nylander not proved himself?

Back to back 60 point seasons and only 21 years old. He's a top line player. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Stop it, please. 

We haven't a clue how Pettersson will perform here yet. Nylander has proved himself.

Jeez what is it about CDC where every Canucks prospect who performs well is suddenly an NHL superstar and better than guys who are actually "doing it" in the NHL. You're like a crowd of pre-teen girls and their latest pop star crush.

Are you watching other teams?

Yeah seriously. We havent a clue how Dahlin will perform yet. Sergachev/werenski/mccavoy/whoever else you want to add here have already proved themselves. jeeze what is it about CDC thinking every prospect who performs well is suddenly an NHL star and better than guys who are actually doing it in the NHL

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Sorry if I seem like I'm going after you this morning, but how has Nylander not proved himself?

Back to back 60 point seasons and only 21 years old. He's a top line player. 

Nylander is a very good player and i would be very happy to have him on the Canucks. That said, 60 points is not elite level production especially from a player where offense is his main attribute. He also has areas to work in his game including being more agressive alng the boards/infront of the net and keeping his feet moving when going after loose pucks. 

Has Nylander proved himself a very good nhl player and a balueable piece to the leafs future? Yes. Has he proven himself to be a star? No. But i see no reason to assume he wont become one. Just as i see no reason to assume Pettersson wont become one. If you want to point to players who have “proved it”, pastrnak, barzal, mcdavid, kucherov, mckinnon, eichel, matthews and laine have all proven they can be elite point producers and scoring leaders on their teams. Nylander is not in that group. A more fair thing to say is “nylander has a better chance of becoming a star than pettersson because he has shown that he at least can perform well in the NHL”. Although, this ignores the 2.5 year age difference between the two, and Pettersson has outperformed nylander at similar stages in their careers

5 hours ago, khay said:

Interesting.

I saw Andersson more like Ryan O'Reilly and EP as Backstrom.

If it came down to O'Reilly vs Backstrom, Backstrom all day every day.

But if indeed your projection of Andersson as a player that can be at Kopitar's level, then NYR comes out of this draft as the lone winner.

Honestly, the Kopitar vs. Giroux thing was a pretty quick comparison I thought of on the spot. Backstrom vs. O'Reilly could very well be a better comparison when looking back at their careers. I just wanted to show that Andersson deserves to be considered for a spot and is a very good player himself. 

This tweet is circulating on other forums indicating that Elias is not a lock to make the Swedish National team....anyone in Sweden (Forza?) have more info...if this is the case what more does the kid need to do to be a lock on that team?

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I don't know why you are getting so pissed. Andersson looks very similar to Pettersson here and he has started well in the NHL, so I can understand why the coach would want to trial them both.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm not pissed at all. I thought he didnt know that the one who tossed the medal was also a high draft pick. I was letting him know. If anything, my post would indicate that I was defended Andersson as also a good player.

21 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

This tweet is circulating on other forums indicating that Elias is not a lock to make the Swedish National team....anyone in Sweden (Forza?) have more info...if this is the case what more does the kid need to do to be a lock on that team?

Gronberg's a dumbass then.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

We do need a backup for next year, so it's possible.

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Demko says whaaaaaaaaaaaat?  ::D

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Starter in Utica IMO. Doing great but still has things to work on before he hits the NHL.

Soooo why not Nillson? I know hes not a good goal tender but lets be hinest a good backup is very low on the list of needs for the Canucks right now. I see no reason why the Canucks shouldnt run Markstrom/Nilsson this year at least until the TDL. At that point, if Demko looks ready (i assume he will) trade Nilsson for a 4th/5th or waive him if you need to and play Demko. If we lose 4 or 5 games next season because we have Nilsson instead if a high end back up its really no big deal. He was brought in to buy Demko time, let him do that

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Demko says whaaaaaaaaaaaat?  ::D

I think for the future its better for demko to be starter in Utica and get more games, sure he deserves some starts in NHL but Main job Should be Utica starter not Canucks bench imho

Will try to find info about why Pettersson isnt a lock, one thing that is for sure is that he isnt guaranteed a spot yet. 

6 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Soooo why not Nillson? I know hes not a good goal tender but lets be hinest a good backup is very low on the list of needs for the Canucks right now. I see no reason why the Canucks shouldnt run Markstrom/Nilsson this year at least until the TDL. At that point, if Demko looks ready (i assume he will) trade Nilsson for a 4th/5th or waive him if you need to and play Demko. If we lose 4 or 5 games next season because we have Nilsson instead if a high end back up its really no big deal. He was brought in to buy Demko time, let him do that

We may very well go with Markstrom and Nilsson again. But it seemed pretty clear Green wasn't a huge fan of Nilsson as the year went on. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see us change things up there.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Getting Andrén for free could be a good thing for the future, if he turns out good he could be a good backup for demko or traded for some good pick(s) / asset(s) 

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

So lets see, this is a quote from coach Grönborg

SHL-star Elias Pettersson is also called to The tournament but Rikard Grönborg cant guaranteed that he Will play in the WHC and dements the news from canucks GM that he is a lock for the WHC. 

– he isnt, he Will Come to The Sweden Hockey Games. We want to give him the best circumstances, so he wont play on Thursday and then we take it from there. He Will get his chance in offensive situations. He has done an amazing job in the SHL powerplay. Now we will he if he is due for the WHC , Grönborg said to Expressen 

Adding a Picture of the voting under the article "do you want to see Pettersson in the WHC? 20686 voted and a stunning 93% yes

Screenshot_20180426-193737.png

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Listening to Leaf’s radio, and the hosts are all over Willy Nylander for being too soft. 

Credit to the older player who has played well in the regular season in Nylander. 

What is lost on the Nylander fan boys is that he plays a perimeter game and he will drop off significantly as the games tighten up in the playoffs. Just like his dad. He will be a good secondary player for a play off team if there is a couple of studs ahead of him. Kinda like Kessel. 

Nylander is the weakest link in the top of the Leafs lineup and not worth what they are going to have to pony up to keep him next year.  This was the exact reason that many of the cdc didint want Nylander. 

Pettersson has out preformed Nylander by a huge margin at the same age in the same leagues only a few years apart.  This is a fairly easy comparison. 

Sure Pettersson hasn’t made his mark on the NHL yet... he is only one post draft... so really the only plank left for the contrarians is that Pettersson hasn’t proved it yet in the NHL. Absolutely correct and petty. 

The same petty thing that can be said of any pick yet to play in the NHL. At some point that could behave been said about Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Howe. 

It would about as valid.

EmW

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

So lets see, this is a quote from coach Grönborg

SHL-star Elias Pettersson is also called to The tournament but Rikard Grönborg cant guaranteed that he Will play in the WHC and dements the news from canucks GM that he is a lock for the WHC. 

– he isnt, he Will Come to The Sweden Hockey Games. We want to give him the best circumstances, so he wont play on Thursday and then we take it from there. He Will get his chance in offensive situations. He has done an amazing job in the SHL powerplay. Now we will he if he is due for the WHC , Grönborg said to Expressen 

Adding a Picture of the voting under the article "do you want to see Pettersson in the WHC? 20686 voted and a stunning 93% yes

Screenshot_20180426-193737.png

I have to assume those 7% were Skellefteå AIK fans.

• Upvote 2