The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Stelar said:

:picard:  please Vancouver fans, lets not do this to the kid......  just let him play.....

John Shannon is a hockey analyst with Sportsnet and has been historically very anti-Canuck in his views so not sure why you are blaming Canuck fans for his statements.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think he gets left unprotected for the Seattle expansion draft, I don't know what the need to trade him would be when majority of his contract is already payed out and there really won't be value coming back.

Loui has a NTC kicking in 2020 so would he have to be automatically protected or would expansion happen before this? 

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Loui has a NTC kicking in 2020 so would he have to be automatically protected or would expansion happen before this? 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

You don't have to protect NTCs, only NMC have to be protected.

This ^^

Also his NTC is in effect now. It becomes modified (15 team NT list) in 2020.

9 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

NTC can be exposed, NMC can not be exposed. So LE can be exposed.

That's how it was with Vegas expansion and so far the league has indicated same rules will apply to Seattle expansion

edit

@Wilbur  got to it before I answered. thx.

Edited by WHL rocks

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

John Shannon is a hockey analyst with Sportsnet and has been historically very anti-Canuck in his views so not sure why you are blaming Canuck fans for his statements.

I know it is Shannon saying it but the hype train needs to pump the brakes on this kid overall.  He looks awesome and I hope it continues. 

2 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I know it is Shannon saying it but the hype train needs to pump the brakes on this kid overall.  He looks awesome and I hope it continues. 

What hype train?   I see most people being very reasonable.   I will admit I am now thinking more than 40 points is realistic for him so have raised my target but I don't see that as hyping him.   

The "hype" I see is almost all media generated and a bit odd as typically media downplay Canuck prospects.   Perhaps this is a new thing for them.   Perhaps they are trolling.   Perhaps EP is that good.   Time will tell but I don't see it the same was as you do at all.   Will admit I don't like near you or the bulk of the Canuck fans so perhaps it is different in the area but I don't see it as mirrored by CDC - here I see reasoned and tempered expectation.    

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Pretty much saying lets not compare Pettersson to Gretzky, while comparing their shots, vision, and hockey sense. 

I think it's an easy comparable due to their build and style of game and you can make the comparison without saying that Pettersson will be the next Gretzky.  Yes, Pettersson has a better shot, and yes Pettersson's hockey vision appears to be "off the charts" when compared to today's current crop of players, but I still think Gretzky is another level above "off the charts".  Combine that with how it was easier to score in the 80s and you have the stats that Gretzky does.

Edited by Wilbur

7 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Nolan Patrick type players in modern NHLs are a noticable high R1 busts. He is the type who dominates the juniors by having no weaknesses to his game, bigger physical stature and an all-round sensible hockey. However, he has no noticable flash, neither is he overtly physical. The latter for eg, seperates the types of Horvat from Nolan: Horvat was also a 'no weaknesses' to his game and like Nolan, was not an elite skater (is now, surprisingly!!) with bigger physicality, but Bo played a bruising game to begin with. 

Patrick is finding out the hard way that without hands like EP, speed like NH, shot like BB or playmaking, its extremely difficult to succeed. For now, he is a 'small-ish fish' in a big pond. He is neither bigger than the opposition and his speed is below average. Nor does he have a laser of a shot or Henrik-esque passing. And unlike before, now he plays with people who are bigger and think the game far more than the kids do. 

You know Patrick finished the last 25 games with 17 points. :huh::o

Far from bust material from a 19 year old rookie. B)

EP40 >>> NP all day long, but NP is not a bust...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FireGillis said:

I guess when I said Pettersson will end up being the greatest swede in history, I was underrating him! 

He'll be a superstar for sure. He has no ceiling. Its great to get a player like this on the Canucks after decades of being a Canucks fan. 

In 3 years he'll be among the best players in the NHL.

By the time he's done he will have been the greatest Canuck ever.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

He'll be a superstar for sure. He has no ceiling. Its great to get a player like this on the Canucks after decades of being a Canucks fan. 

In 3 years he'll be among the best players in the NHL.

By the time he's done he will have been the greatest Canuck ever.

I am extremely high on this kid.

However, there are many challenges ahead for this young man. Injuries can derail a career in an instant. Then there is the hard working and consistent play that few players can demonstrate over a 15 year career.

I am as high on this kid as anyone but he will need to have staying power to come even close to the bolded. We can revisit your prediction in 2033 lol.

Barring any serious injury or trade, I think EP will go down as the greatest canuck of all time when all is said and done. As amazing as the Sedins were, they weren't this poised and this impressive when they came into the league, not to mention how heavily reliant their game was on one and other. We have never had a player that has this level of dangles, vision, and shot all in one ( not to mention his tenacious back checking). He is as close to a complete player you could ask for. When he matures into his body and is a full grown man, we will be hearing more "Pettersson!" chants through Rogers arena for years to come.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Really don't see why people have a problem with folks being excited for the kid, even if the excitement is a bit over the top at times. 

Party poopers are the worst.

This KID will lead our team in points this year...

BEST player in draft. 

EP40>>>Nico   All day long.

From today to Infiniti...::D

Edited by CoolCanucklehead