The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The league always punishes the result, not the deed.  Having said that, a 1st infraction probably means less than 3 games.  Matheson needs a message sent.

Whatever the result, I expect to remain angry over this.

I am angry now. And I expect to be angry next time the Canucks don't respond!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Sedins took a lot of abuse early on in their careers when they would embarrass teams with the puck cycle along the boards and their shot pass deflection goals. I assume the same will happen to Elias as he makes other teams look silly doing things that haven't been done before. 

Having a skilled guy who can win fights when needed on Elias's line is a must in my opinion. 

Here are some potential skilled forwards who stick up for their team mates 

Max Domi

Wayne Simmonds

Michael Ferland 

Tom Wilson 

Milan Lucic 

Jamie Benn 

Nick Foligno 

Jujhar Khaira 

I would love to get Max Domi, he has looks great with Montreal. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not a fan of a player who needlessly sucker punches another player and gets suspended for doing something that stupid.

Wasn't that bad, I am sure Horvat would love to have him here. 

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not a fan of a player who needlessly sucker punches another player and gets suspended for doing something that stupid.

I don't know man, if he can focus on his game, he would be great for us.

So many options..he play LW (Really need solid LW's) on Bo's line or Pettersson's line.

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Sedins took a lot of abuse early on in their careers when they would embarrass teams with the puck cycle along the boards and their shot pass deflection goals. I assume the same will happen to Elias as he makes other teams look silly doing things that haven't been done before. 

Having a skilled guy who can win fights when needed on Elias's line is a must in my opinion. 

Max Domi

Wayne Simmonds

Michael Ferland 

Tom Wilson 

Milan Lucic 

Jamie Benn 

Nick Foligno 

Jujhar Khaira 

Gadjovich could be that guy.  1LW may be a stretch for him though

6 hours ago, Salming said:

The Vancouver organisation shouldn't have drafted him if they had no intention off standing up for him and protect him. They should instead have gone with a more physical player like Gabe Vilardi or Michael Rasmussen.

If that hit on Elias would have happened in the Swedish Hockey League, all hell would have broke loose. And remember Sweden is the place the Sedins comes from...

I feel bad for Pettersson. 

Spineless Canucks

It is for this reason why you Mr. Salming make indoor court shoes now. One to many hits to the head

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Max Domi

Wayne Simmonds

Michael Ferland 

Tom Wilson 

Milan Lucic 

Jamie Benn 

Nick Foligno 

Jujhar Khaira 

Y'all are overreacting to his teammates etc imo but I wouldn't hate if this initiated a Boone Jenner trade either...

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

This matter is going to be left up to the league.  This is the way it should be.  Players on the ice shouldn't feel as though they need to exact revenge on dirty plays.  Player Safety should take care of that.  Unfortunately, they fail much of the time.  With the Wilson 20 game suspension, I think that very slowly, discipline is getting better.  When players decide to send a message it often back fires as we saw when Hamonic was injured by Gudbranson.  And sometimes it goes horribly wrong as we saw in the Moore-Bertuzzi incident.  So what I have said should happen in an ideal world.  It is not an ideal world but a message needs to be sent about this even if it is only a fine. 

They should.

Whoever takes liberties at our players needs to pay the price on the ice, a price that would have an impact on the perpetrator's health. 

If DOPS does something, great. But can't rely on them. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Won't likely hear until tomorrow.  I know, I'm having major anxiety too.

That kid has a spark that should NOT be extinguished.  It'd be a crying shame.

it's early enough in the season still

not much is at stake yet

matheson did cross a line in the "throw down" on elias

i think he deserves to sit for that conduct

i think dops needs to protect the stars, including the obvious young ones who will be stars soon

all pro leagues protect their stars

what matheson did is probably worth about a game or so

so i think he'll get 2 games

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

They should.

Whoever takes liberties at our players needs to pay the price on the ice, a price that would have an impact on the perpetrator's health. 

If DOPS does something, great. But can't rely on them. 

That's my point.  They should be able to rely on the DOPS but they can't.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Shiftynifty said:

Anyone have news on EP? I am worried sick, can’t even concentrate on work :unsure:.

Is it a confirmed concussion or is he going through protocol? 

I see he travelled on the plane to Pittsburgh.

They said on the news he is going through concussion protocol.

My hope is that they would hand him a 5-game suspension for an in-phone hearing, not 2 to 3 games.   Even for a first-time offender, this is also a no-no body slam and it's a common sense that you don't disrespect any players with that move and it's akin to slew foot where I have seen players been suspended for.   The malicious intention is there and this shouldn't be a 2 to 3 gamer.   If the league decides to hand him 5-gamer, it will also send a message across the league that anything extra is subjected for a review as video evidence are there and players should have some respect for each other and a hit is enough but nothing more.   You do not want to let players get away with some "extra" leading to injury, put action to a stop right there and players will have to think twice before doing that.   Only dumb players would do that if the message has already been sent in the first place.  

• Upvote 1

I am not a religious man at heart but until your return I will prey to the hockey gods that you will return with the same shiftiness and hockey IQ you always have had. I hope EP isn’t timid or looking behind his shoulder. Please rest well and come back as you were.  We walk with you Elias.

D3C46B86-37AD-453E-A965-61063384D59E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3