The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Another big goal for Petey, I really like this tertiary scoring line with Garland and Podz, they could easily end up our 1st line at the end of the season if Petey gets back to 100%. He helped take over the Columbus game with Hughes and I really think Garland and Podkolzin's tenacious energy wore off on Pettersson. He needs guys buzzing around him to be successful, rather than having a lazy Miller and Boeser just skating around on the ice, this shake-up has really helped.

Obviously the coaching change has helped mentally to freshen Petey up but I think playing him alongside a hard worker, Burrows-esque type player in Garland and then a big body in Podz is the perfect chemistry trio. Hats off to the coaches for that move.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Another big goal for Petey, I really like this tertiary scoring line with Garland and Podz, they could easily end up our 1st line at the end of the season if Petey gets back to 100%. He helped take over the Columbus game with Hughes and I really think Garland and Podkolzin's tenacious energy wore off on Pettersson. He needs guys buzzing around him to be successful, rather than having a lazy Miller and Boeser just skating around on the ice, this shake-up has really helped.

Obviously the coaching change has helped mentally to freshen Petey up but I think playing him alongside a hard worker, Burrows-esque type player in Garland and then a big body in Podz is the perfect chemistry trio. Hats off to the coaches for that move.

I agree that having the two young guys with Petey may help.

But calling Miller and Boeser is a bit over dramatic. Miller does lead the team in points and it ain't cuz he is lazy lmao.  :towel:

• Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Wilbur said:

49.  Martin Gelinas

LW 258 90 81 171
50.  Elias Pettersson C 195 71 97 168
51.  Andrew Cassels C 198 40 128 168

Pettersson works his way into the top 50 in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.

Whoa Cassels just about on par with our Golden Boy for ppg. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Whoa Cassels just about on par with our Golden Boy for ppg. 

That caught me by surprise too.  I know Cassels played here when he was in his prime (more or less) but he also played during a lowish scoring era.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That caught me by surprise too.  I know Cassels played here when he was in his prime (more or less) but he also played during a lowish scoring era.

Definitely an underrated player, at least his his stats match the eye test.

1 hour ago, Metal Face Doom said:

He looks bad.  Pretty crazy how steep the drop off is.

I get his offense isn't there..........

But name one thing he did wrong last game...........notta!

At the very least, he is NHL calibre, and young

His game was coming along fine before the break...yes slower than some

But his defensive work is above average, and his passing is above average

i think he will be fine in the end, give him some time

Hardly what you are saying

I remain a bit worried.  His confidence still isn't there and it seems to go straight to his hands.  Even in his current state he's a useful player but not the one we're used to or that is worth his contract.  Some say that the league has figured him out, and that might be true in some ways.  But you can't figure out someone with an elite shot, elite vision and elite passing ability.  So I think it's in his head.  Putting him on the pk and getting him to just react and stop thinking is probably the way out. 

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I remain a bit worried.  His confidence still isn't there and it seems to go straight to his hands.  Even in his current state he's a useful player but not the one we're used to or that is worth his contract.  Some say that the league has figured him out, and that might be true in some ways.  But you can't figure out someone with an elite shot, elite vision and elite passing ability.  So I think it's in his head.  Putting him on the pk and getting him to just react and stop thinking is probably the way out. 

Also recovering from a wrist injury. How long did it take Boeser to look 'normal' again after his? IIRC it was close to a full year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Pete is looking better each game.  Last night he looked quick with his decisions and his passes were crisp.  He isn't getting run over like he was before.  I recall a quote from him where he was saying that he'd not been on the ice at all in the off season and that he didn't think his training was what it needed to be.  I think we're finally seeing him getting in the shape he needed to be in.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

He looks bad.  Pretty crazy how steep the drop off is.

He no longer looks like a superstar. Pretty average player IMO.

Is this the real Pettersson? There are many young players who've come into the league and they're fast and skilled, with quick snipes, etc. They're noticeably good. Look at the younger Zegras. I don't think Petey is that young anymore anyway. This is his 4th season. He's hoarded as soon as he gets the puck and isn't fast enough or good enough on his skates to get out of trouble. He relies on his stick-handling, but lately that's been poor and he ends up losing the puck. Superstar?  I don't think so, not yet anyway. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Pete is looking better each game.  Last night he looked quick with his decisions and his passes were crisp.  He isn't getting run over like he was before.  I recall a quote from him where he was saying that he'd not been on the ice at all in the off season and that he didn't think his training was what it needed to be.  I think we're finally seeing him getting in the shape he needed to be in.

Makes some sense that training issues could be involved.  It usually takes players a few years to figure out what they need to do to play their game at the NHL level.  Squats and power skating wouldn't be out of place for Pettersson.