The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

I’m basing this on nothing but a hunch, by does anyone else besides me feel that Dipietro will not only be our goalie of the future, but will also be a future star in this league?

Im going to go out on a limb and make this prediction.  

Despite being undersized,  Dipietro just seems so confident and dynamic back there.  He also really seems like he enjoys the challenge of being the goaltender back there.

The impression I get from Demko is that he’s a little stiff.  I think Demko might be a decent goalie in the league one day, but I’m not seeing stardom in him.  Hopefully, I’m wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m basing this on nothing but a hunch, by does anyone else besides me feel that Dipietro will not only be our goalie of the future, but will also be a future star in this league?

Despite being undersized,  Dipietro just seems so confident and dynamic back there.  He also really seems like he enjoys the challenge of being the goaltender back there.

The impression I get from Demko is that he’s a little stiff.  I think Demko might be a decent goalie in the league one day, but I’m not seeing stardom in him.  Hopefully, I’m wrong.

Demko is going to be a star in this league, don't you worry.

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Way to early for that. Demko is much closer and has a better chance at reaching his ceiling. Not to take anything away from DiPietro but he's just far off still.

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I've got the opposite feel for them

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Goalies are hard to prognosticate, but Demko’s play in college was legendary, leagues ahead of anything Mikey has done to date. Add his performance as a young pro in Utica, he is the superior prospect by a wide margin. But you’re right, DiPietro has a lust for the game that is invigorating, and I think he’s guaranteed a career because of it. Both are beauties and true battlers, but Demko is anything but stiff! He’s arguably even more unorthodox than MD... he just isn’t as high energy.

DP = Poor man’s Quick

TD = young Rinne

We’ll keep both...

• Upvote 1

Spitfires’ Michael DiPietro named Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week:

Dr_pFJdUcAUSEyC.jpg:large

Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Vancouver Canucks prospect Michael DiPietro of the Windsor Spitfires is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the regular season week ending November 11 after posting a 2-0-0-0 record along with a goals-against-average of 0.96 and save percentage of .969.

DiPietro began the week representing the CHL in the CIBC Canada Russia Series where he made 18 saves to backstop Team OHL to a 3-1 victory on Thursday night in Sarnia.  In league play he helped the Spitfires extend their winning-streak to four games stopping a total of 62 shots.  31 of those saves came on Saturday in a 2-1 shootout victory against the Guelph Storm where he also stopped six straight attempts to help secure the win.  His week wrapped up Sunday with 31 saves as part of a 7-1 win against the Saginaw Spirit.

A 19-year-old from Amherstburg, Ont., DiPietro is playing in his fourth OHL season after being chosen by his hometown club in the second round of the 2015 Priority Selection.  He helped the Spitfires capture the 2017 Memorial Cup on home ice and was named the 2018 OHL Goaltender of the Year.  This season he carries a 7-5-0-1 record and ranks second in OHL goals-against-average with a mark of 2.18 while his .926 save percentage is also among the league’s leaders.  DiPietro is the Spitfires all-time wins leader with 82 over his career and his 16 shutouts are tied for the OHL’s all-time mark.

Also considered for the award this week was Max Paddock of the Regina Pats who posted a 2-0-0-0 record including a shutout victory stopping 59 shots in total for a goals-against-average of 0.50 and save percentage of .983.  In the QMJHL, Fabian Iacobo of the Victoriaville Tigres also went 2-0-0-0 making 59 saves for a goals-against-average of 1.00 and save percentage of .967.

2018-19 Vaughn CHL Goaltenders of the Week – Regular Season:
Nov. 5 – Nov. 11: Michael DiPietro (Windsor Spitfires)
Oct. 29 – Nov. 4: Joseph Raaymakers (London Knights)
Oct. 22 – Oct. 28: Stephen Dhillon (Niagara IceDogs)
Oct. 15 – Oct. 21: Émile Samson (Blainville-Boisbriand Armada)
Oct. 8 – Oct. 14: Alexis Gravel (Halifax Mooseheads)
Oct. 1 – Oct. 7: Trent Miner (Vancouver Giants)
Sept. 24 – Sept. 30: Luke Richardson (Kitchener Rangers)
Sept. 19 – Sept. 23: Hunter Jones (Peterborough Petes)

http://chl.ca/article/spitfires-michael-dipietro-named-vaughn-chl-goaltender-of-the-week-5

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I see he worked really hard on his hair in the offseason and it's paying off, looks way better. 

Great to hear. Mikey's hair game was the main concern I has regarding his ultimate ceiling as a prospect. It he's finally figured that part out, I have no problem saying he's a blue chip, future NHL starter.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/11/2018 at 11:58 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Demko is currently viewed by many as the best NA born goalie prospect in all of hockey right now and is in no small part why the Canucks' overall organizational core depth is considered on of the best in the NHL at this point.  That said, Marky was at one point labeled as the best goalie in the world not playing in the NHL when he was still in the Panther's organization so you just never know how a prospect will develop/not develop.  I do see the similarities between MD and Quick but as of yet I don't see any direct comparisons between Demko and a current NHL star goalie but I've read more than one article where the author compares Demko to  John Gibson of the Ducks.  One thing is certain in my view - goalies, of all positions, are the hardest to predict future success out of any position on a team. 

https://www.tsn.ca/core-4-plus-more-examining-u-24-players-on-canada-s-teams-1.1209063

https://thehockeywriters.com/jacob-markstrom-the-best-goalie-youve-never-heard-of-2/

https://thehockeywriters.com/thatcher-demko-the-next-ones-2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

https://www.nhl.com/news/bcs-demko-heavy-favorite-as-top-draft-eligible-goalie/c-712863

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Demko is currently viewed by many as the best NA born goalie prospect in all of hockey right now and is in no small part why the Canucks' overall organizational core depth is considered on of the best in the NHL at this point.  That said, Marky was at one point labeled as the best goalie in the world not playing in the NHL when he was still in the Panther's organization so you just never know how a prospect will develop/not develop.  I do see the similarities between MD and Quick but as of yet I don't see any direct comparisons between Demko and a current NHL star goalie but I've read more than one article where the author compares Demko to  John Gibson of the Ducks.  One thing is certain in my view - goalies, of all positions, are the hardest to predict future success out of any position on a team. 

https://www.tsn.ca/core-4-plus-more-examining-u-24-players-on-canada-s-teams-1.1209063

https://thehockeywriters.com/jacob-markstrom-the-best-goalie-youve-never-heard-of-2/

https://thehockeywriters.com/thatcher-demko-the-next-ones-2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

https://www.nhl.com/news/bcs-demko-heavy-favorite-as-top-draft-eligible-goalie/c-712863

the Hockey Writers also has the Canucks with two of the top 12 goalie prospects, no other team has that: https://thehockeywriters.com/who-is-the-nhls-top-goaltending-prospect/

But you're correct, its too soon to know what we have with either of these guys but its nice to see some potential and depth in that spot. 

Well one of them has to pan out, still think Thatchy D has the tools and the mindset to be a dominate goalie in this league.  One has to wonder how far this concussion has set Demko back, as mentioned on the radio yesterday he might be with the club right now if he was healthy and putting up similar numbers in Utica as last year. 

22 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Well one of them has to pan out, 

I hope you're right.

But statistically speaking it's still a long-shot that either one of them become impact goalies.  That said, those are statistics, and I think any 'hockey' person who's been following these two will tell you they're 'trending' in the right direction to become NHL'ers. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2014/08/21/prospect-profile-13-thatcher-demko/