The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 11/11/2022 at 2:01 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

If he were sent down to the minors it would be considered a stop for a cup of coffee at the NHL level.  He hasn't earned a regular role yet.

But hey, it could just be that the person manning the website is just lazy and hasn't changed his status yet.

Sorry @-Vintage Canuck-, you are certainly not lazy lol!  Poor choice of words on my end :picard:

16 minutes ago, Muttley said:

What’s the point in having him waste away in the press box?

So he can end up like MDP and essentially be forced out of the organization.

Like our prospect pool wasn't already a barren wasteland......

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, DeNiro said:

The skating, the playmaking, and the shot are there no doubt.

How does he handle puck battles in his own end will be the real question.

Nailed it. The speed and tenacity of the forecheck are a bit too much for him right now, but as Ryan Johnson says, all he needs is more reps. He's played 47 games in the AHL and 23 in the NHL. He definitely has the smarts, the skating, the vision and the skill to become a top four guy. Just not yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 3:03 PM, Muttley said:

Rathbone is exempt from waivers, so can be sent down freely. What’s the point in having him waste away in the press box?

I don’t understand at all. If you look at his overall GP in the last three years it’s so bad.

This kid needs to play. He needs to be playing games and getting use to suiting up and playing banged up a little and what not. He also needs to playing and actually defending and playing in all situations. 

I think it’s atrocious he’s not been in the AHL being a stud dman there.

I can’t see any valid argument and I hope he’s been getting stronger in the gym with NHL trainers and facilities and working hard in practice but the kid needs to play. 

he’s not better than Burroughs and not the right fit to play with Myers so they need to send him down.

• Like 1

Rathbone is small and has both Hughes and OEL above him on left.

So on the left side we only need a stay at home guy that helps the top RHD we’re gonna get. So how can He take a place at third line? 

Stecher was cut off because he was too small  and targeted and now we have Hughes, Garland, Höglander that are targets in playoff. Every new small guy in playoff makes it harder for the team to survive. 
I would take back Stecher but I realise that too many small players isn’t good when the playoff starts and the referees let things be. 
Having Schenn isn’t enough when the going gets tough.

Can Rathbone be a new Hughes or is he just tradeable? 

On 11/11/2022 at 10:21 AM, Eddie said:

Gotta say he doesn't really look ready to me. Doesn't look strong enough or shifty enough like Hughes is, and makes some terrible decisions on clearing the puck.

Year before last, so did Hughes look awful, he was -27, second worst among defencemen. Rathbone looked uncertain defensively on a TEAM that was awful defensively earlier this year - if the vets are awful, what is a rookie going to look like? He looked good on the attack, but got precious little time on the second unit pp, where he looked very good. There are rumours of a trade- is he hurt or held out of the line up, or just others playing ahead of him?

• Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...