The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Haha, remains to be seen. Depends on if Judd was running a one man show, or we actually had some other scouts on the payroll who can also judge talent. ;) 

Scouting is always a group, never a one man show. I don't deny Judd must have been a major part in our recent successes, but remember that JB was still the boss behind this whole thing. I heard no words of those regional amateur scouts in these areas left the organization, so as long as the are still communicating in the same language from top to bottom, we should still be pretty good on draft day.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Scouting is always a group, never a one man show. I don't deny Judd must have been a major part in our recent successes, but remember that JB was still the boss behind this whole thing. I heard no words of those regional amateur scouts in these areas left the organization, so as long as the are still communicating in the same language from top to bottom, we should still be pretty good on draft day.

Good scouting has always followed Benning, completely comfortable with JB appointing someone to take over from Judd.

On Rathbone, wouldn't be at all surprised to see him sign here now that CBA has been finalized. There's no guarantee that there will be a season in College this coming year, especially with what things are like on the East Coast right now.

• Huggy Bear 1

Without lucrative TV contracts, is it likely that the AHL or NCAA even have seasons in 2020-21?  Rathbone could sign with the Canucks but he isn't likely to play in the NHL.  Would it be possible to be lent out to a European team if it means no hockey otherwise?  

39 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Without lucrative TV contracts, is it likely that the AHL or NCAA even have seasons in 2020-21?  Rathbone could sign with the Canucks but he isn't likely to play in the NHL.  Would it be possible to be lent out to a European team if it means no hockey otherwise?  

Lots of unsigned players like Boucher  will go to Europe, but there are way more players than roster spots.

My bet is the teams/NHL creates some sort of skills development program and maybe have mini tourneys like the youngstars.... that is if the AHL is significantly delayed or cancelled.

The NHL doesn’t work without a farm team and they won’t want to be carrying 40 man rosters.

Think of the Canucks property players out in Abbotsford or at the PNE to be close and do intra squad games as well as some trips to play against other team

prospects.

55 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Make 750k and live in Sweden or Switzerland or sit around for a year playing shinny and taking online classes?

Pretty easy decision no?

7 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Quite the pick for a 4th round selection. That's a scouts pick. Makes you wonder how many more we'll see like that in a late round. Macdoungh might be the last 

All the successful 1st round picks were all scouts picks and all of the successful late round picks were also scout picks. It's too bad we fired all of our scouts...oh wait...

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

16 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Haha, remains to be seen. Depends on if Judd was running a one man show, or we actually had some other scouts on the payroll who can also judge talent. ;) 

True, but it strikes me that USHL/High schools ( particularly close by Brackets home ) have served us well :rolleyes:

Interesting.....CNN just stated that Harvard will only be teaching online

so that, along with the NCAA statements, pretty much close down any real chance of a hockey player continuing his hockey career at school, especially in his last year of hockey,

where continuing development is so important.

I am not sure this is actually new news, but obviously when put together, impose a huge obstacle, for a player to just sign and continue their hockey dreams 

15 hours ago, Provost said:

Lots of unsigned players like Boucher  will go to Europe, but there are way more players than roster spots.

My bet is the teams/NHL creates some sort of skills development program and maybe have mini tourneys like the youngstars.... that is if the AHL is significantly delayed or cancelled.

The NHL doesn’t work without a farm team and they won’t want to be carrying 40 man rosters.

Think of the Canucks property players out in Abbotsford or at the PNE to be close and do intra squad games as well as some trips to play against other team

prospects.

You'd think they'd need to do something.

Short tourneys etc in home arenas when the big club is on road trips perhaps?

37 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Interesting.....CNN just stated that Harvard will only be teaching online

so that, along with the NCAA statements, pretty much close down any real chance of a hockey player continuing his hockey career at school, especially in his last year of hockey,

where continuing development is so important.

I am not sure this is actually new news, but obviously when put together, impose a huge obstacle, for a player to just sign and continue their hockey dreams 

I haven’t seen that, but to me that makes the decision easy to sign his pro contract.

He should still be able to finish school s he can do it from anywhere.  He can also either play in Europe or whatever sort of hockey development the NHL creates for their prospects if the AHL is no go.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

True, but it strikes me that USHL/High schools ( particularly close by Brackets home ) have served us well :rolleyes:

Weisbrod also has a long history in the NE. It’s entirely possible he was as much an influence on our picks in that region as Brackett was. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Weisbrod also has a long history in the NE. It’s entirely possible he was as much an influence on our picks in that region as Brackett was. 

That's true, but personally I wouldn't want Weisbrod to take my dog for a walk never mind determine the future of the Canucks ... but that's just me. As I recall it was weisbrod that chose jankowski in Calagary with a first round pick, that turned out  well :lol:

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

That's true, but personally I wouldn't want Weisbrod to take my dog for a walk never mind determine the future of the Canucks ... but that's just me. As I recall it was weisbrod that chose jankowski in Calagary with a first round pick, that turned out  well :lol:

Meh, when you look at the remainder of the first round after Janko it really wasn’t that bad of a pick. 

Looks like it's official:

The Ivy League presidents placed all sports on hold Wednesday until at least January, making it the first Division I conference that will not play football as scheduled in the fall because of the coronavirus pandemic.

As a result, a broad array of sports, from football and men’s basketball to cross country and sailing, have been placed in limbo. Practices could take place in the fall, but conditions would have to improve for sports to be played next year.

As for the possibility of playing football in the spring, Princeton football Coach Bob Surace characterized it thusly: “One word. Hope.”

He added that a vaccine, better therapies and people following health guidelines would be necessary if there were any chance of playing in the spring, but there is also the fear of a second wave of the virus this winter.

Though the caliber of football in the Ivy League, which plays at the Football Championship Subdivision level and does not allow athletic scholarships, is far below that of the best programs in the country, the decision made by the eight presidents could have great influence among university leaders nationwide tasked with deciding when and how sports will return to college campuses.

Hints that the Ivy League was leaning this way became clearer on Monday when three of its schools announced plans for reopening their campuses to only some students in the fall. One of those schools, Harvard, said it would only allow 40 percent of its students — mostly freshmen — back on campus and that all classes would be held remotely. For the spring semester, Harvard said, freshmen would be sent off campus and seniors would be allowed to return for their final semester.

Freshman on campus for fall and seniors for spring. Rathbone will be a junior, so he won't have any academic activities on campus next year.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Which further proves Weisbrod's connection in that area of college.

Weisbrod also drafted Tim Harrison out of Dexter High School, which also so happens to be where Rathbone was from as well, so further potential connections that Rathbone leans more to Weisbrod.

• Cheers 1

Hmm, Rathbone must be spinning trying to figure out his options.

A Harvard education guarantees his future where hockey might not.  $50k a year tuition probably mostly paid.

If he signs his ELC and gets a big signing bonus, presumably that eliminates his financial

aid too.

There may not be serious hockey anywhere For him.