The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

At least Tryamkin does’t injure himself every time he does something of a physical nature - Gudbranson’s next visit after each scalp is not the penalty box, it’s the ER.

Fair comment.

10 hours ago, gobi said:

How is Rathbone's skating compared to Hughes?

I hope to see a future one two punch of Hughes and Rathbone. 

they're so different physically and in the game style its more like we have two players with really good options. Hughes (even at I'd say 70% last night, kid looked gassed) is going to be able to move on a dime, get out of trouble, make plays, etc. that probably no one else on the team will be able to do. I was impressed with how quick Rathbone could get back, didn't seem to me like anyone beat him on a play. 

• Upvote 1

The thing I noticed about Rathbone, is his body size. He's got the NHL body, now he needs to develop that body for the NHL game. I posted a few names in Tyler Madden's thread, and completely forgot about Rathbone. He definitely stood out last night, skating, positional play, good IQ, passing skills, he's close to the show.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The thing I noticed about Rathbone, is his body size. He's got the NHL body, now he needs to develop that body for the NHL game. I posted a few names in Tyler Madden's thread, and completely forgot about Rathbone. He definitely stood out last night, skating, positional play, good IQ, passing skills, he's close to the show.

Yea, I noticed his body as well. Looked NHL sized. I was expecting him to look smaller, somehow. His puck handling was also really smooth. Probably had the sexiest move in the shootout but rang it off the post. He's got an intriguing combination of attributes. Exciting debut of sorts for the Rathboner.

• Upvote 1

Rathbone sure seems like a player. Possible late round steal, but IIRC had he chosen a different pathway instead of High School Hockey --> NCAA he would've been picked in the early rounds of the draft. He definitely has the talent for a top 100 draft pick. A possible left side of Hughes/Juolevi/Rathbone would solve all our puck-moving and offensive woes from the blueline. Hopefully Benning and Co and get complementary right-handed defensemen to play alongside them. Stecher is one (and already played bottom-4 minutes in the NHL), Woo looks like he could be a player as well. 

1 minute ago, Blömqvist said:

Rathbone sure seems like a player. Possible late round steal, but IIRC had he chosen a different pathway instead of High School Hockey --> NCAA he would've been picked in the early rounds of the draft. He definitely has the talent for a top 100 draft pick. A possible left side of Hughes/Juolevi/Rathbone would solve all our puck-moving and offensive woes from the blueline. Hopefully Benning and Co and get complementary right-handed defensemen to play alongside them. Stecher is one (and already played bottom-4 minutes in the NHL), Woo looks like he could be a player as well. 

Totally agree about Rathbone.  Kid is a player.

Hughes, Juiolevi, and Rathbone on the left

Tanev, Woo, and Gudbranson on the right

Brisbois, and Stecher as 7 and 8.

Looks like a top notch blue line for years to come.  

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

Tanev will be to old by the time we are competitive and Guddy has seemed like a pylon in Vancouver. We need some more depth on the right side with only Woo and Stecher looking like future NHL players for us.

Somewhat off-topic but I have two Blackhorse prospects I think may make the team next year. Chatfield (our only other good RD prospect) and MacEwen (size strength speed and a will to compete)

Tryamkin, although a left shot, plays the right side:)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

59 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Tanev will be to old by the time we are competitive and Guddy has seemed like a pylon in Vancouver. We need some more depth on the right side with only Woo and Stecher looking like future NHL players for us.

Somewhat off-topic but I have two Blackhorse prospects I think may make the team next year. Chatfield (our only other good RD prospect) and MacEwen (size strength speed and a will to compete)

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tryamkin, although a left shot, plays the right side:)

Tanev and Gudbranson are good players, the former being better than the latter. That's said, Tanev is always involved in trade rumours and Gudbranson hasn't lived up to expectations since coming over. I wonder how much both of them factor into management's long-term plans. Maybe we trade Tanev sooner rather than later. Maybe Gudbranson stays for just the duration of his 3 year contract. No doubt, they are good pieces now that can help the team, but long-term we'll need another potential RHD prospect.

Tryamkin, on the other hand, is a huge wildcard. If he does indeed return in a year or two he'll have the opportunity to step right into a top-4 role alongside Hughes or Juolevi. I hope he returns, but hope is not a strategy. 

4 hours ago, richado said:

Yea, I noticed his body as well. Looked NHL sized. I was expecting him to look smaller, somehow. His puck handling was also really smooth. Probably had the sexiest move in the shootout but rang it off the post. He's got an intriguing combination of attributes. Exciting debut of sorts for the Rathboner.

He certainly was, drafted at 5'10 172 (near identical to Hughes), but is now 5'11 and managed to get himself up to the 185-190 range in only one year.  Just turned 19 and has gone from a small prospect to nearing typical NHL dman size -- already taller and the same weight as Stecher.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

And Tryamkin. I. Do believe he will come back

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Having Tryamkin back would be HUGE (ha ha ha)

Tryamkin shoots left, but prefers the right side.  

I think when all is said and done, our D depth chart will go

Hughes

Juolevi

Tryamkin

Woo

Rathbone

Stecher

Until these guys are ready, we will keep Tanev and Gudbranson 

Super curious to see what the D looks like after the cuts in main camp 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think when all is said and done, our D depth chart will go

Hughes

Juolevi

Tryamkin

Woo

Rathbone

Stecher

Until these guys are ready, we will keep Tanev and Gudbranson 

Super curious to see what the D looks like after the cuts in main camp 

You might be disappointed. Once training camp has turned all the 'shiny new toy' projections into reality, plus a healthy dose of 'asset management', we will probably not see too much change. But.......it's the long, hot(ish) off season, so any idea is A-okay !

• Cheers 1

Just now, SingleThorn said:

You might be disappointed. Once training camp has turned all the 'shiny new toy' projections into reality, plus a healthy dose of 'asset management', we will probably not see too much change. But.......it's the long, hot(ish) off season, so any idea is A-okay !

Haha you're probably right. 

We'll see the waiver exempt players buried until we can trade the roster players but at least we'll know who deserves to be here and who doesn't. 

• Cheers 1

On July 6, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Blömqvist said:

Tanev and Gudbranson are good players, the former being better than the latter. That's said, Tanev is always involved in trade rumours and Gudbranson hasn't lived up to expectations since coming over. I wonder how much both of them factor into management's long-term plans. Maybe we trade Tanev sooner rather than later. Maybe Gudbranson stays for just the duration of his 3 year contract. No doubt, they are good pieces now that can help the team, but long-term we'll need another potential RHD prospect.

Tryamkin, on the other hand, is a huge wildcard. If he does indeed return in a year or two he'll have the opportunity to step right into a top-4 role alongside Hughes or Juolevi. I hope he returns, but hope is not a strategy. 

I think Hughes and Tyrmakin might be awesome together! As a matter of fact each one of these lines compliments each other and looks balanced. In 3 years?? 

Hughes Tyramkin 

Juolevi Woo

Rathbone  Stetcher