The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this keeps coming up. Rathbone has said many times he wants to turn pro asap.

Yup, that's some of the insinuation I was talking about. He hasn't said explicitly 'this spring'... But I think we all can read the tea leaves of 'turn pro ASAP'.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, that's some of the insinuation I was talking about. He hasn't said explicitly 'this spring'... But I think we all can read the tea leaves of 'turn pro ASAP'.

we always get this with college players, the college UFA fear sets in. Usually it takes until the 3rd college season.... :lol: 

Rathbone is set to demolish what McAvoy did in college, just for a bit of reference.... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we always get this with college players, the college UFA fear sets in. Usually it takes until the 3rd college season.... :lol: 

Rathbone is set to demolish what McAvoy did in college, just for a bit of reference.... 

mcavoy spent his 17/18 yrs in college. rathbone's 20. so you're not comparing exact peers.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's ludicrous to expect Rathbone to come in at the end of the season and have any noticeable impact whatsoever on this team?  I mean, Hockey Gaud, who was voted as the BEST player in the entire NCAA, who absolutely dominated his last season in college, and who had a full extra season of development in college, came in and struggled noticeably at first.  Yet people here have Rathbone signing at the end of his season in Harvard and playing on our powerplay (maybe they're joking, I don't really know)? 

I'm NOT saying Rathbone is/isn't going to develop into a player - only that imo it's not overly realistic to expect him to sign at the end of the season and make any impact at the Pro level. 

Sign him if he wants, sure.  But give him time, probably in Utica, to figure things out. 

I don't think he will make the big club.  I am hopeful he may get some games in Utica.  This whole player pipeline is getting nice and plump.  No need to rush or jump the gun.  Just makes sure there is room in the system.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's ludicrous to expect Rathbone to come in at the end of the season and have any noticeable impact whatsoever on this team?  I mean, Hockey Gaud, who was voted as the BEST player in the entire NCAA, who absolutely dominated his last season in college, and who had a full extra season of development in college, came in and struggled noticeably at first.  Yet people here have Rathbone signing at the end of his season in Harvard and playing on our powerplay (maybe they're joking, I don't really know)? 

I'm NOT saying Rathbone is/isn't going to develop into a player - only that imo it's not overly realistic to expect him to sign at the end of the season and make any impact at the Pro level. 

Sign him if he wants, sure.  But give him time, probably in Utica, to figure things out. 

CDC thinking all Canuck prospects will be legendary immediate impact players for us that is why... If Rathbone turns pro I hope he takes an AHL pto same route Werenski took. Help Utica who might have a better chance at a longer season than the Canucks. Grow with some of the younger guys down their. He can then start with the Comets full time in the fall. Let him marinate and adapt and grow to the pro level imo.

If OJ keeps it up, he will be on the Canucks roster next fall so gives more opportunity for Jack in Utica

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

CDC thinking all Canuck prospects will be legendary immediate impact players for us that is why... If Rathbone turns pro I hope he takes an AHL pto same route Werenski took. Help Utica who might have a better chance at a longer season than the Canucks. Grow with some of the younger guys down their. He can then start with the Comets full time in the fall. Let him marinate and adapt and grow to the pro level imo.

If OJ keeps it up, he will be on the Canucks roster next fall so gives more opportunity for Jack in Utica

Could Rathbone do like Rafferty did, and play a couple games at the end of this season for us, but then in Utica for their playoffs?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Could Rathbone do like Rafferty did, and play a couple games at the end of this season for us, but then in Utica for their playoffs?  

don't believe so no, roster deadline would have passed. Only way is he plays with Canucks or plays with Comets can't do both

• Thanks 1

The Canucks defence has been better this year with the significant turnover.  But as I look at what options we have moving forward we could have as much change this coming summer as we did last summer.  Edler will be back, Hughes will be back.  Myers will be back.  Will anyone else?  

Will Tryamkin replace Tanev?  

Is Rafferty for real and a player?  

What is the next step for Briseboise after this year?  

What role will the other pure talent we have in Juolevi play next year?  I see him as the Edler replacement long term.  

Those 4 are knocking on the door and Sautner has already proved be can play in the NHL and not look out of place.  

Then we have Benn, Stecher, Fantenberg, Tanev all ok the roster this year and in our control to trade or move on from.  

That is 12 d men that all could be on the team next year.  With Woo and maybe Rathbone moving to Utica to replace two of the prospects.  

I forsee another year of change that will be another major step forward.  

With the solid young forward group and the goaltending group just needing a contract for Marky that we can expect to happen and just do not know term and $$ the defence is wild card that may move another major step towards contender.  

I almost hate to bring this up but I will anyways because we always have posters worried about our NCAA players opting for free agency after completing their senior year at college. Rathbone is a bit of a special case because he did not attend college in his 1st year of eligibility. As a result, the Canucks would retain his rights through his senior year only if he decides to stay in school that long. However, if he decides to leave college after his Junior year he could opt for free agency as soon as the summer of 2021. This means that if we don't sign him at the end of this season there is going to be increased angst in CDC worrying that we will lose him in a year's time.......not the 2 years that most believe.

Jack Rathbone with 7 points (3G, 4A) in 5 games for Harvard. Canucks will try and sign him this summer. If they don't, he'd have the option of leaving school after his junior year and going UFA in the summer of 2021.

Here is an example of a player that decided to go that route.

Usually, the player will go directly to the NCAA, and the drafting team will retain his rights until Aug 15th after his senior season, or they will have 30 days after he declares to be leaving College early to sign him — a clause that goaltender Cal Petersen used to leave the Sabres organization and sign with the Kings. (emphasis added)

In May of 2017, the Univeristy of Notre Dame announced that Cal Petersen was forgoing his final year of college eligibility in order to sign an NHL contract. That notice started the clock on the Sabres’ ability to sign Petersen, which they were of course unable to do.

13 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I almost hate to bring this up but I will anyways because we always have posters worried about our NCAA players opting for free agency after completing their senior year at college. Rathbone is a bit of a special case because he did not attend college in his 1st year of eligibility. As a result, the Canucks would retain his rights through his senior year only if he decides to stay in school that long. However, if he decides to leave college after his Junior year he could opt for free agency as soon as the summer of 2021. This means that if we don't sign him at the end of this season there is going to be increased angst in CDC worrying that we will lose him in a year's time.......not the 2 years that most believe.

Jack Rathbone with 7 points (3G, 4A) in 5 games for Harvard. Canucks will try and sign him this summer. If they don't, he'd have the option of leaving school after his junior year and going UFA in the summer of 2021.

Here is an example of a player that decided to go that route.

Usually, the player will go directly to the NCAA, and the drafting team will retain his rights until Aug 15th after his senior season, or they will have 30 days after he declares to be leaving College early to sign him — a clause that goaltender Cal Petersen used to leave the Sabres organization and sign with the Kings. (emphasis added)

In May of 2017, the Univeristy of Notre Dame announced that Cal Petersen was forgoing his final year of college eligibility in order to sign an NHL contract. That notice started the clock on the Sabres’ ability to sign Petersen, which they were of course unable to do.

Good thing we draft players with good character. And we have some players with connections to him in our system. And we committed to him when many didn't. Hopefully this all goes in our favour in getting him locked up with us.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good point, but Rathbone was a bit of a late bloomer physically. 

Also to be fair Rathbone , he did play his draft year in high school hockey for family reasons iirc. 

So I would say your bang on the money Jimmy. 

Thx for the info, it's cool to see him doing just as well as bostons number 1 or 2 D man ha

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

To be honest, and this is totally off the top of my head, I feel college kids have had a quicker impact on their NHL teams in general, Gaudette seems like more of an anomaly.

However, get him here and see where he's at, if he's not ready, no harm in sending him down.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I am a big fan of Rathbone's ever since his first summer camp, but I agree, I see the only way he gets into the Vancouver lineup this year is because of injury or a player being seriously off his game - but then he would have to find his way past Rafferty and Juolevi, and maybe even Tryamkin - that will be a tough assignment.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I am a big fan of Rathbone's ever since his first summer camp, but I agree, I see the only way he gets into the Vancouver lineup this year is because of injury or a player being seriously off his game - but then he would have to find his way past Rafferty and Juolevi, and maybe even Tryamkin - that will be a tough assignment.

Yeah, I'm not sure why some feel the need to create false narratives to attack. Barring catastrophic injuries and/or an equally catastrophic fall from playoff contention, there's next to zero chance he plays on the Canucks this season. And I see very few (no?) posters claiming otherwise.

Utica however... and perhaps even an eyebrow raising camp next fall I wouldn't put past him but he'll likely be spending any remainder of this season and a good portion of next, in Utica. Where he should be, continuing his development.

He’s not going to make our team this year or next, so why wouldn’t he stay in Harvard for an extra year? 

Harvard > Utica , IMO 

My money’s on that

Edited by VancouverHabitant

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He’s not going to make our team this year or next, so why wouldn’t he stay in Harvard for an extra year? 

Harvard > Utica , IMO 

My money’s on that

Simple answer is $$$$$. The sooner he can get through his ELC, the sooner he starts making serious money.

I'd also wager that he'd be betting on himself that why'll he certainly could, and likely will start in Utica, he'd look at playing well enough to earn at the very least a few injury call ups, and possibly even show well enough to earn a spot later in this season whether by trades, injury etc.

It is an interesting question, as to how he does next year.

Look at Fox, who came in and jumped right into the NYR lineup

I am not saying he is as good as Fox

but look at Rafferty's first full season, he's looking pretty good in the AHL

NCAA players are better prepared for the life of the pro's

Having already played against men since being drafted

I am in the wait and see lineup....

But again, Benning has created competition, so who makes the team next year

will have earned it......

Love it!

• Cheers 1