The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

How much taller is Kesler than Domi?  I'm saying at 5'6" he could make space for himself by being nasty, and backing it up.  

He is more likely to make space for himself by skating around people and being crafty. He's a long ways away from the NHL imo. Still an interesting pick though.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

He is more likely to make space for himself by skating around people and being crafty. He's a long ways away from the NHL imo. Still an interesting pick though.

Eventually he will need to go to the dirty areas to be an effective NHL player, especially in the playoffs.  If he could fight, it would be another tool in his tool kit.  His odds of becoming an NHL player would go up.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Eventually he will need to go to the dirty areas to be an effective NHL player, especially in the playoffs.  If he could fight, it would be another tool in his tool kit.  His odds of becoming an NHL player would go up.  

I don't think he has enough reach to do much even if he was a good fighter. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

No man lol you can go into the dirty areas without being a fighter. St Louis, Kane, gaudreau don't shy away and none of them are fighters. 

Not saying he's as good or will ever be (fingers crossed however) as they are but you need to understand that fighting as a 5'6 NHler will never increase your chances of making the nhl lol

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Off your meds again Alf?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

this isn't all that crazy a thought. Theo Fleury was a pretty tough little dude who did have a few fights (http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/417). 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, cyoung said:

No man lol you can go into the dirty areas without being a fighter. St Louis, Kane, gaudreau don't shy away and none of them are fighters. 

Not saying he's as good or will ever be (fingers crossed however) as they are but you need to understand that fighting as a 5'6 NHler will never increase your chances of making the nhl lol

when did Patrick Kane start going to the dirty areas?

9 hours ago, cyoung said:

Not a fighter as his only skill, but as a supplement to his existing skills.  If he has Kane, St Louis, or Goudreau skills than (of course) he need not fight.  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

LW - Baertschi, Granlund, Molino, Dahlen, Gadjovich

RW - Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Lind, Lockwood

I'm not sure how Palmu will get a shot. Future trade to make room? Or perennial spark plug for Utica?

I assume a few of the players listed, particularly the bolded, likely will not be on the team through a combination of being traded or not showing enough to make the team (à la Grenier, Friesen, Cannata, etc).

15 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

I assume a few of the players listed, particularly the bolded, likely will not be on the team through a combination of being traded or not showing enough to make the team (à la Grenier, Friesen, Cannata, etc).

Yeah, probably won't keep them all. My guess:

Granlund - keeper

Baertschi - traded

Molino - Utica

Dahlen - future top 6

Gadjovich - future middle 6

Boeser - future top line

Goldobin - traded

Virtanen - traded

Lind - future middle 6

Lockwood - future bottom 6

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

LW - Baertschi, Granlund, Molino, Dahlen, Gadjovich

RW - Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Lind, Lockwood

I'm not sure how Palmu will get a shot. Future trade to make room? Or perennial spark plug for Utica?

Keep in mind, players like Granlund and Lind are also listed as a center. There's actually a fair amount of versatility there. We also don't know the outcomes of the majority of those players, whether they'll keep a spot in the NHL or if they'll bust (obviously I'm hoping they all make it, but reality usually speaks otherwise). Also, as someone else mentioned, trades can and do happen.

I think it's too easy to focus on the here and now with who's going to slot in. Why can't we just worry about it at that point and see if he earns a spot?

Yes, way too difficult (impossible?) to predict who will play on which line or if they'll even play at all with the Canucks. So many things can happen, injuries, trades, etc. It's a nice problem to have, several potential good players developing. I'm really hoping Virtanen surprises at camp and makes the team, but he's got a lot of competition. Boeser, I think, is a lock. Unsure about Goldobin and Rodin. I guess whoever doesn't make the team, it benefits Utica. They should have a good team next season.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not a fighter as his only skill, but as a supplement to his existing skills.  If he has Kane, St Louis, or Goudreau skills than (of course) he need not fight.  

The thing is he needs that skill to make it work in the nhl. 

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

He does man, doesn't need to use his body but he does awesome work along the boards regardless

hmm... i'd say Kane is one of those guys like Gaudreau that can get in and out of those areas quickly avoiding contact... e.g., whens the last time you saw little jonny spend more than a microsecond on the boards? not sure thats the same thing as guys that are willing to take a beating to get it done. Although with that much skill I suppose its not needed :P 

But I think Palmu is more suited for a Hansen-like game, where he's going to have to learn to be aggressive at the right times but also be very smart about it so he doesn't get killed. 

Edited by S'all Good Man

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

hmm... i'd say Kane is one of those guys like Gaudreau that can get in and out of those areas quickly avoiding contact... e.g., whens the last time you saw little jonny spend more than a microsecond on the boards? not sure thats the same thing as guys that are willing to take a beating to get it done. Although with that much skill I suppose its not needed :P 

But I think Palmu is more suited for a Hansen-like game, where he's going to have to learn to be aggressive at the right times but also be very smart about it so he doesn't get killed. 

Don't need to spend much time on the boards if you are as efficient as they are. Obviously they are going to lose alot of battles due to size but they still get there. 

• Upvote 1