The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

14 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Well, there certainly are some similarities. Smaller than average player, late round draft pick, comes to camp weighing about 180 lbs, very high skill level, ridiculously strong for his size. Those all fit both Bure and Palmu. If Petrus is determined to be another Bure, I support him.

Bure is 5'10, Palmu is 5'6, league average heights have gone up since 1989. Bure was drafted at 18 years old, Palmu at 20. As mentioned already, Bure was drafted late only because the Canucks found a way to make it work, he was going to be 1st overall or at least top 3 in the following draft where everyone else thought he would eligible.

I want Palmu to succeed, but these comparisons to Bure are too high of an expectation that will only lead to disappointment. Besides, I think if we are to compare him to an NHL player, I would think more along the lines of Cammalleri or maybe St. Louis.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bure was BY FAR the fastest person on skates at that time, who handled the puck perfectly at top speed.  He was super strong, had a great shot, tough as they come, and determined to be the best.  If Palmu is determined like Pavel, that's great, but there was, and only ever will be, one Pavel Bure.  He was a very special, and unique player.  

All very true.

Still, just for fun, I think the next time Palmu comes to Vancouver he should bring his dad along and maybe skate around the arena with a couple parachutes strapped to his back. ;) 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Bure is 5'10, Palmu is 5'6, league average heights have gone up since 1989. Bure was drafted at 18 years old, Palmu at 20. As mentioned already, Bure was drafted late only because the Canucks found a way to make it work, he was going to be 1st overall or at least top 3 in the following draft where everyone else thought he would eligible.

I want Palmu to succeed, but these comparisons to Bure are too high of an expectation that will only lead to disappointment. Besides, I think if we are to compare him to an NHL player, I would think more along the lines of Cammalleri or maybe St. Louis.

I don't think anyone is really comparing him to Bure instead myself and others have pointed out that it is good for the young man to aspire to be like Bure, essentially to aim big. In other terms, maybe aspire to be like any smallish player who has done well........be like St Louis, be like Gaudreau, be like Ronning, etc.

I'd rather want for him to be like Bure than to aim yo be like Steve Kariya.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

All very true.

Still, just for fun, I think the next time Palmu comes to Vancouver he should bring his dad along and maybe skate around the arena with a couple parachutes strapped to his back. ;) 

I like that......I would add that maybe he can shoot for some toughness and follow Stallone's example in Rocky 4 since it was filmed in Vancouver and go up to Whistler and jog in the snow and do arm curls with logs.

• Upvote 1

On 27/06/2017 at 4:28 PM, garthsbutcher said:

If he turns into anything close to B Gallagher ill be thrilled.

Reading through this thread, I find it funny that there hasn't been more comparisons to Gallagher because thats the first, and only comparison that made sense to me.

There's just something about him and Gadjovich that just just screams NHL'er.

• Upvote 2

I am a huge fan of Palmu but comparing him to Bure is ridiculous! Palmu is a good skater but doesn't have crazy speed. Very good hand eye, and a great shot. Can also pass the puck well. From the highlight pack he also scores a lot of goals in front of the net. 

I think Zuccarello is a great comparison if Palmu were to reach his full potential. 

• Upvote 2

People also need to keep in mind that there´s a reason he fell to the sixth round. Teams didn´t just forget about him.

He´s a 20 year-old playing in the OHL. Just last year at 19 years old, he only notched 49 points in 52 games.

20 minutes ago, guntrix said:

People also need to keep in mind that there´s a reason he fell to the sixth round. Teams didn´t just forget about him.

He´s a 20 year-old playing in the OHL. Just last year at 19 years old, he only notched 49 points in 52 games.

People always tend to over-hype these late round picks.

That being said, I like his potential though. It's always best to go boom or bust at this position and I think that's what they did.

One thing that sets him apart from other smaller skiled guys is his commitment to strength and conditioning. He knows at an early age that the only way he's going to compete at the next level at his size is to be stronger and faster than the competition. Based on what I've seen the guy is built like a tank, so the physical aspect pf the game should be much less challenging for him.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That being said, I like his potential though. It's always best to go boom or bust at this position and I think that's what they did.

One thing that sets him apart from other smaller skiled guys is his commitment to strength and conditioning. He knows at an early age that the only way he's going to compete at the next level at his size is to be stronger and faster than the competition. Based on what I've seen the guy is built like a tank, so the physical aspect pf the game should be much less challenging for him.

I think he even said he patterns his play after St. Louis.  He met Martin, and commented on the size of St. Louis' quads.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think he even said he patterns his play after St. Louis.  He met Martin, and commented on the size of St. Louis' quads.  

It's similar with all the small star players, they have quads like tree trunks. That's the key to not getting knocked off the puck.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's similar with all the small star players, they have quads like tree trunks. That's the key to not getting knocked off the puck.

I wonder if Palmu can fight, or is taking boxing lessons or something?  If he could scrap to go with his skills, it could be easier on him.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Palmu can fight, or is taking boxing lessons or something?  If he could scrap to go with his skills, it could be easier on him.

Not really necessary with the game he plays. He just needs to not be intimidated in front of the net.

At 5'6" any fight with a much bigger defender is going to end poorly for him no matter how strong he is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

I am a huge fan of Palmu but comparing him to Bure is ridiculous! Palmu is a good skater but doesn't have crazy speed. Very good hand eye, and a great shot. Can also pass the puck well. From the highlight pack he also scores a lot of goals in front of the net. 

I think Zuccarello is a great comparison if Palmu were to reach his full potential. 

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Not really necessary with the game he plays. He just needs to not be intimidated in front of the net.

At 5'6" any fight with a much bigger defender is going to end poorly for him no matter how strong he is.

How much taller is Kesler than Domi?  I'm saying at 5'6" he could make space for himself by being nasty, and backing it up.  

• Upvote 1