The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet preview: Canucks 2017-18

Honky Cat

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Wasted a minute of my life

Everything he said was true. If we see some growth from the kids then it will be a successful year. Goal tending need to prove itself, also true.

We are not a playoff team, that's a fact.

I think it was an accurate article.

20 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Everything he said was true. If we see some growth from the kids then it will be a successful year. Goal tending need to prove itself, also true.

Nooooooo! It can't be! We are playoff bound !!!..... aren't we......:(

10 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Nooooooo! It can't be! We are playoff bound !!!..... aren't we......:(

LOL

There are fans on here who think we are a playoff team. The reality is that we will pick top five again. I hope!

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

LOL

There are fans on here who think we are a playoff team. The reality is that we will pick top five again. I hope!

I'm hoping the lottery is kind to us this year. I doubt we'll finish last, but if we can move up in the draft a few spots instead of down that would be fantastic.

25 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Fans? Plural? Is there anyone besides maybe @apollo

Take it to the bank! PLAYOFFS! 

Honestly I just don't see this team picking top 5 again. Especially if we finish 5th last cuz the freaking old boys club will drop us the maximum # of spots. 

We need a lot of things to go right but I think this team could have Cinderella written all over it. 

Sedins contract years and possibly final years... They gotta go out on a high note. 

A healthy well coach canucks can make the playoffs imo. 

Felt like I read it even though I hadn't.. 

our goaltending is is going to be brutal this year, teams are going to be looking forward to playing us, especially teams like Edmonton and Pittsburgh, with players in the scoring race. Markstrom is one of the weakest starters in the league this season.

8 hours ago, appleboy said:

I also remember the days when the Sedins would pad their stats on the Oilers with regularity - I agree that keeping the scoring down in games vs Alberta teams is a moral victory any way to slice it.

16 hours ago, appleboy said:

I'm one of them.  I think we will either be close to a playoff spot, or just squeak in.  There is good reason for my perspective though:

1) Over the offseason, we didn't lose any key players except for Miller.  With that said, while he might have kept us in many games he was a below average starting goalie.  I don't know if Marky will take a step forward or not, but if Nilsson can play even remotely close to how he did last season we should be fine.

2) We have a slew of young players who might be able to make an impact in the NHL this year.  If even one or two of these guys can contribute where we didn't have contributions before, that's going to make a big difference.  Many believe Boeser by himself will be a huge contribution - but what if Virtanen finally steps it up?  Or Goldobin?  Who knows what we have here.

3) Eriksson had his worst season since a rookie.  I find it hard to believe he won't be better this season.

4) Injuries.  Injuries are pretty much expected through a season, but I believe we had the most in the league last season.  Hopefully we can stay healthy this season.
5) Player progression: One might suggest the Sedins will be even less productive this season.  It's possible.  But according to them, they still feel strong and healthy so I also wouldn't be completely surprised to see an improvement - especially if we can find them chemistry with a consistent linemate.  Other than that, we have some players who should stay about the same but we also have a bunch of players which are expected to improve this season.  Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Gaunce, Stecher, Hutton, and a few others should all be at least a bit better.  Not sure if Boeser and Goldobin fit into this category or category in point #2, but they are players to watch for sure.

In short, I see why not many are expecting big things from us this season, but I see many bright spots for us which could help us make a noticeable improvement over last year's point totals.  That would do nothing to our lottery chances but should at least prove to be a more entertaining season than last.

8 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm one of them.  I think we will either be close to a playoff spot, or just squeak in.  There is good reason for my perspective though:

1) Over the offseason, we didn't lose any key players except for Miller.  With that said, while he might have kept us in many games he was a below average starting goalie.  I don't know if Marky will take a step forward or not, but if Nilsson can play even remotely close to how he did last season we should be fine.

2) We have a slew of young players who might be able to make an impact in the NHL this year.  If even one or two of these guys can contribute where we didn't have contributions before, that's going to make a big difference.  Many believe Boeser by himself will be a huge contribution - but what if Virtanen finally steps it up?  Or Goldobin?  Who knows what we have here.

3) Eriksson had his worst season since a rookie.  I find it hard to believe he won't be better this season.

4) Injuries.  Injuries are pretty much expected through a season, but I believe we had the most in the league last season.  Hopefully we can stay healthy this season.
5) Player progression: One might suggest the Sedins will be even less productive this season.  It's possible.  But according to them, they still feel strong and healthy so I also wouldn't be completely surprised to see an improvement - especially if we can find them chemistry with a consistent linemate.  Other than that, we have some players who should stay about the same but we also have a bunch of players which are expected to improve this season.  Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Gaunce, Stecher, Hutton, and a few others should all be at least a bit better.  Not sure if Boeser and Goldobin fit into this category or category in point #2, but they are players to watch for sure.

In short, I see why not many are expecting big things from us this season, but I see many bright spots for us which could help us make a noticeable improvement over last year's point totals.  That would do nothing to our lottery chances but should at least prove to be a more entertaining season than last.

You have a right to be excited about some of the youth.  Everything would need to go perfectly for us to even come close to competing for a playoff spot. A good year from the twins, minimal injury lost time. Big time progression from our youth.

I can't see the stars aligning. I think we will be hard pressed to be better then last year.

We will see.

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

You have a right to be excited about some of the youth.  Everything would need to go perfectly for us to even come close to competing for a playoff spot. A good year from the twins, minimal injury lost time. Big time progression from our youth.

I can't see the stars aligning. I think we will be hard pressed to be better then last year.

We will see.

The only reasons I see realistically that we wouldn't be better than last year:

1) Our goaltending sucks.  Entirely possible.

2) Sedins fall dramatically further.  Also possible.

3) We get even more injured than last year.  Unlikely.

If we get hit on all three of these points, then we are not going to make the playoffs.  I think we can all agree with that.  But with the improvement of our younger players as well as a few new faces, I feel we *might* be able to absorb one of these issues and still come out on top.

I really don't think ALL the stars have to align for us to be a better team.  We just need one or two of our newer or younger guys to make a noticeable impact, and I'm willing to bet that Boeser is already a shoe-in to do exactly that. If I'm not mistaken that a few weeks before the trade deadline last season we were still vying for a playoff position.  I believe it was only after we were deep in our injuries and it became apparent we didn't have a chance that the remainder of the season was especially dismal - resulting in our slide to one of the worst teams.

One of the things that I failed to mention in my last post is that we have also brought in more guys who have a potential to make a difference.  The addition of Del Zotto gives us the potential of a bit more offense from the blueline.  Who knows if Burmistrov will be a significant contributor or not, but I'm hopeful.  I think the biggest addition by far is Gagner, and IF he can put together a season even remotely like his last one that in itself will be a big boost to our scoring.

And then of course, how we do in the standings also depends on how much improved other teams in the West are.  If they are equally improved, then obviously it's a wash.  If they are more improved then we're aiming for another lottery, no doubt.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out, but I do honestly think we have reason to be optimistic that 1) We will see a more competitive team this season which should at least make things more entertaining, 2) We are indeed heading in the right direction in regards to leaving behind the old and eventually being a cup contender once again, and 3) I feel there really is a somewhat realistic chance of our making the playoffs.

On 9/1/2017 at 9:35 AM, appleboy said:

We will see.

There's almost nothing that hasn't been an improvement to happen in the offseason. Even with the departures of Miller and Tryamkin, the talent that was signed will for the most part shore up any deficiencies. Markstrom's numbers were great when he played. I know we'll have many injuries this next year (as we always do), but with a better coach and added talent, on top of summers of training for our younger players, there's no way we'd be worse than last year.

I'm certainly of the opinion that we have a decent chance at the playoffs, and I've put $50 on it happening.

Archived