The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Depends what the asking price going back would be.

Currently don't have a number one centre...number one centre available...why not see what the asking price is.

Benning may have made a call to express interest, then wait a while and see what happens. He can always circle back later once Ottawa or Montreal have made their best bids and up the offer. Looking at other Canadian teams I do think we have pieces that could make it happen but i think Sakic is delusional on his valuation and may price himself out of any deal. 

3 hours ago, VanGnome said:

I've never advocating that we should get Duchene. All I said is if they DID get Duchene, then the rebuild is pretty well complete. Even if we don't trade for Duchene, I'm more than happy with our team and if the players are ready (Virtanen, Boeser, etc) for the NHL, and it appears they are, then I'd rather see this team do well and draft middle of the pack. It means they've achieved some measure of success which is a step forward. Better imo than sucking to draft a young player who may or may not turn out as we hope.

It's better to compete and play well every year as best as you can. The goal is to make the playoffs, whether you're a favorite to win the cup or not. All of this posturing of wanting to suck to maybe get lucky with drafted players, to maybe get better in the future to me is just bull$&!#.

If your goal is to compete as poorly as you can for reasons other than winning as much as you can, what the hell are you even cheering for?. Everyone acts like this team is still full of 30+ year old players. This is already a young team, personally I think Benning has done a fantastic job at turning the roster around relative to what he was left to work with from his predecessor.

I'm looking forward to winning as many games as they can, if they fall short then so be it; it means they were better and that's all we really want.

Ok, I misunderstood your position on Duchene. I  just think trading for him at this point (unless it's a massive underpayment) would cost us youth that we cannot afford to give up. I also think he's not worth the high pricetag.

I  believe you have a good point about wanting to compete and be a playoff team. I disagree with you that our rebuild is almost complete, even if we did pick up someone like Duchene for relatively cheap.

I want a contending team, not merely a competitive one. Benning has done a great job of building a solid foundation for the future, but what we now need is elite young players. And the best chance of getting these players are usually with the high picks. Another bad year or two would be the best for this team in the long-term.

Just now, Sweathog said:

Ok, I misunderstood your position on Duchene. I  just think trading for him at this point (unless it's a massive underpayment) would cost us youth that we cannot afford to give up. I also think he's not worth the high pricetag.

I  believe you have a good point about wanting to compete and be a playoff team. I disagree with you that our rebuild is almost complete, even if we did pick up someone like Duchene for relatively cheap.

I want a contending team, not merely a competitive one. Benning has done a great job of building a solid foundation for the future, but what we now need is elite young players. And the best chance of getting these players are usually with the high picks. Another bad year or two would be the best for this team in the long-term.

Usually but not guaranteed. You could argue exactly the opposite, where if your scouting is on point you have a chance at finding good talent all throughout the 1st round, Boeser is a prime example, and just one of many throughout the years. How many players have we seen picked at 15-30 that many teams passed on and ended up being impact players for the teams they played for? Less than bonafide top 10 talents, for sure, but I'd rather take those lower odds if the trade off is competing and playing at a high level, thereby elevating the skill of the collective team vs pinning hopes one one or two young players.

Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser, Goldobin, Granlund, Virtanen, Petterson, Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette. There's at least 3 from that group that has a shot at being elite, thats 30%. The rest should at worst be very good players that can move up and down the middle six which is where you want the bulk of your team strengths and skills outside of the top line.

I can see a Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser first line being very good in a year or two, and an excellent 2nd line of Virtanen-Granlund-Goldobin. Once Petterson comes in he would probably supplant Bo as #1C which is not a bad thing.

Virtanen - Petterson - Dahlen as a 1st line would be absolutely sick. That pushes Baertschi - Horvat - Goldobin to 2nd line and Lind - Gaudette - Granlund as your 3rd line in a couple years. Pretty good depth if you ask me

Hutton + Lockwood + 2020 1st + Pedan/Subban

for

Matt Duchene + 2018 3rd...................................at the 2018 TDL

2018 - 2019 Line up

Kane - Duchene - Broeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Eriksson*3yrs

Granlund - Gaudette - Dahlen

Gaunce - Sutter*1yr - Virtanen  

Gagner*2yrs, Burmistrov*1yr, Godoblin, Rodin, MacEwen, Laplante, Lind, Molino, Gadjovich, Pettersson

Edler*2yrs - Stetcher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Juolevi - Gudbranson 

Weircoich - Biega                         Tryamkin, Chatfield, McEneny, Brisebois

Markstrom, Nilssen*1                  Demko, DiePetro   

Hutton gives them a #3/4 damn with upside

Lockwood gives them a aggressive future 3 line prospect

2020 1st is a potential (18 to 14 OA) 

Pedan/Subban choice for there defensive depth   

Duchene gives us a center to stem the years until Pettersson comes in

2018 3rd gives us an early 3rd (63 to 65 OA pick)

This leaves us with

2018 1st......................12th OA                               2019 1st.................16th OA                                    TRADED

2018 2nd.....................43rd OA                               2019 2nd................47th OA                                    2020 2nd ...............51 OA

2018 3rd......................63rd OA                               2019 3rd.................78th OA                                    2020 3rd.................82 OA

2018 3rd......................74th OA

We sign Evander Kane......................UFA

We possibly flip Sutter, Burmistrov, Nilsson ........................at 2018 TDL

We possibly flip Edler and Gagner.......................................at 2019 TDL

We possibly flip Nilsson........................................................at 2020 TDL

Use the Sedin's  Cap for sign Kane and Tryamkin, pick up any picks for high lighted players................1st and 2 rounds are our target

I can get behind this........................

9 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Usually but not guaranteed. You could argue exactly the opposite, where if your scouting is on point you have a chance at finding good talent all throughout the 1st round, Boeser is a prime example, and just one of many throughout the years. How many players have we seen picked at 15-30 that many teams passed on and ended up being impact players for the teams they played for? Less than bonafide top 10 talents, for sure, but I'd rather take those lower odds if the trade off is competing and playing at a high level, thereby elevating the skill of the collective team vs pinning hopes one one or two young players.

Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser, Goldobin, Granlund, Virtanen, Petterson, Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette. There's at least 3 from that group that has a shot at being elite, thats 30%. The rest should at worst be very good players that can move up and down the middle six which is where you want the bulk of your team strengths and skills outside of the top line.

I can see a Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser first line being very good in a year or two, and an excellent 2nd line of Virtanen-Granlund-Goldobin. Once Petterson comes in he would probably supplant Bo as #1C which is not a bad thing.

Virtanen - Petterson - Dahlen as a 1st line would be absolutely sick. That pushes Baertschi - Horvat - Goldobin to 2nd line and Lind - Gaudette - Granlund as your 3rd line in a couple years. Pretty good depth if you ask me

I'm not doubting that we already have some good young prospects in the system, but acquiring even more increases our chances of a Stanley Cup in the future. If we could snag someone like Dahlin or some other high quality dman in next years draft, then the odds of winning the cup in say 5-7 years rises astronomically.

I'm not saying the Canucks should play to lose, I'm saying that one more season where we end up with a high pick is best for this team going forward. Especially if our kids are playing tons of minutes, and dominating over in Utica. We're almost done with the rebuild, but we're not quite there yet. One or two more high end prospects should put us over the top.

Easy pass. Great player but he's falling off the face of earth last couple years. I'd trade for him but for the right kind of package. Something like Baer, Brisebois, 2018 and 2019 2nds for Duchene, a good D prospect if they have any. I'd be fine with something like this. If they want more, they can eff themselves off

4 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

[...]

You want to actually lose Hutton for half a year of Duchene?

[...]

These pro's make losing a guy like Hutton hard to swallow but could be worth it.

Now add that to returns we get from trading Tanev as well at the deadline (Provided we do move him and he also has a good year)

As long as it doesn't cost much more than Hutton, I'm ok with this. 

Duchene has including the upcoming season, 2 years left on his contract, like Hutton. ;)

I would rather trade for Landeskog, but I would be ok with a trade for Duchene like Sutter + Hutton/Tanev + 2nd (+Subban/Brisebois/3rd).

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Easy pass. Great player but he's falling off the face of earth last couple years. I'd trade for him but for the right kind of package. Something like Baer, Brisebois, 2018 and 2019 2nds for Duchene, a good D prospect if they have any. I'd be fine with something like this. If they want more, they can eff themselves off

He scored 30 goals just two seasons ago and was part of the World Cup team for Canada.

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

How does somebody do that? Asking for a friend. 

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

- Once hit 70 pts in 71 games.

- can skate, with skill & decent size 200lbs

- excellent on FO's

I'll bet he'd be motivated to perform after getting out of that dysfunctional org. Hope JB keeps tabs on this. We have excess fwds..cash in with two of them + Hutton.

This is exactly the new NHL player Travis Green wants to play up tempo you need speed and skill.

Matt Duchene can flat out fly.

11 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Makes total sense to be interested in Duchene.  Makes little sense to overpay for him.

If the price for Duchene is PK+, that's insane.  Duchene is good but I would not classify him as a much better player than Taylor Hall.

Duchene for Hamonic would have made sense if that deal was on the table.

Duchene for Tanev makes little sense for the Avs as I'm sure they want a younger D (unless his name is PK Subban).  I don't see a fit but who knows.

Duchene for Hamonic was apparently on the table at some point.

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Duchene for Hamonic was apparently on the table at some point.

If Sakic had Hamonic, Isle's first, and a prospect offered for Duchene he happily takes that deal.  And the Isle's GM gets fired.  That's a HUGE overpayment for Duchene. 

We have no interest in a super soft, perimeter player, who plays NO defence.  My goodness, haven't Duchene's numbers gone down A  LOT over the last couple seasons? 

Archived