The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

This deal reminds me of Clendening for Forsling.

At the time, it made perfect sense. Clendening had shown a ton of promise in the AHL. Even though Forsling had a great WJC tournament, he was a recent 5th round pick, and by all means still a longshot. But now that Forsling is a promising young D-man and Clendening just a fringe guy, it certainly doesn't look great.

It's a gamble. Fortunately though not a large one.

11 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Just noticed Corrado is on the Pens too. Traded by TOR last TDL for  Eric Fehr, Steven Oleksy and a 2017 fourth round pick.

Total BS. How does TOR end up getting more for Corrado than PIT does for Pouliot? Not mad or anything. I just think it's unfair what they did with Corrado.  

Eric fehr has negative value.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Compare what Benning inherited to what Rutherford inherited.

A slow, aging pair of Sedins, no starting goalie, and a Kesler demanding a trade to one of two teams vs Crosby in his prime, Malkin in his prime, Letang in his prime and Fleury when Fleury was still good.

Seems about equal to me.

<_<

56 minutes ago, D-Money said:

At the time, it made perfect sense. Clendening had shown a ton of promise in the AHL. Even though Forsling had a great WJC tournament, he was a recent 5th round pick, and by all means still a longshot. But now that Forsling is a promising young D-man and Clendening just a fringe guy, it certainly doesn't look great.

Curious to know because you didn't clarify. Is pouliot the clendening of your premonition?

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I cant see Pouliot being anything, after all he couldnt make the Penguins and they just let in 10 goals haha.

We need more offense from our D group so if both become 5/6, but Pouliot creates more scoring I still call that a win for the Canucks in terms of getting what we are missing. Your right though Pedan is likely to be a #7, but could be a number 6 by the end of the year given the Pens start haha. 

58 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I see the logic, but the 4th rounder hasn't done anything yet. Forsling was a WJC allstar. Imagine if we still had him though. Tough to swallow that deal. Clendenning only had 4 games of NHL experience when we acquired him, Pouliot has 67 so he is more of a known quantity. It is similar to the Clendenning deal though. 

6 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Curious to know because you didn't clarify. Is pouliot the clendening of your premonition?

Well, let's see... Once highly touted prospect who has been unable to make NHL squad, finally traded for a mid-round pick due to his waiver eligibility...

...Pouliot is obviously Forsling. Don't know how you missed it.

37 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Well, let's see... Once highly touted prospect who has been unable to make NHL squad, finally traded for a mid-round pick due to his waiver eligibility...

...Pouliot is obviously Forsling. Don't know how you missed it.

I think it was the "Clendening had shown a ton of promise in the AHL." Comment that had me confused. Pedan hasn't shown a ton of promise, Pouliot has had the better AHL career thus far.

Was a little muddy, figured I'd ask. 

A better comparison would be the Jensen/Etem deal. The canucks traded a player of which they had no future plans (along with a late round pick) for a player who had superb numbers in junior and good numbers in the AHL but hadn't put it together in the NHL.

Posted this elsewhere but it's more relevant here:

A 4th round pick:

Stands a 4.2 to 4.6% chance of becoming a top 6 forward or top 4 blueliner.

10.6% chance of being a long term 4th liner or 6th/7th D.

14.6 to 23.8% chance of becoming a replacement level player that exceeds 100 NHL games.

Just sayin'.

Those odds, relative to Pouliot - mean if he has a 1 in 10 chance of being a bottom pairing D, that is a break-even risk factor relative to that pick.

If he has a 1 in 22 to 24 chance of becoming a top 4 - that is a break even risk factor risk factor relative to that pick.

I have to think he has slightly better than 1 to 10 to 24 odds of being something at the NHL level - in other words, a no-brainer in terms of upticking the risk factor value of a 4th round pick.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Which one is Pedan - Forsling or Clendening?

Don't think the analogy is a very good one tbh.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Pedan = Clendening

Pouliot = Forslund

is that why?

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

We need more offense from our D group so if both become 5/6, but Pouliot creates more scoring I still call that a win for the Canucks in terms of getting what we are missing. Your right though Pedan is likely to be a #7, but could be a number 6 by the end of the year given the Pens start haha. 

I see the logic, but the 4th rounder hasn't done anything yet. Forsling was a WJC allstar. Imagine if we still had him though. Tough to swallow that deal. Clendenning only had 4 games of NHL experience when we acquired him, Pouliot has 67 so he is more of a known quantity. It is similar to the Clendenning deal though. 

I was kidding it was more of a knock on the fact that Pitts let in 10 goals lol. 

who knows with Pouliot hopefully we can get some production out of him, i think we are due for a homerun of a trade. 

7 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I was kidding it was more of a knock on the fact that Pitts let in 10 goals lol. 

who knows with Pouliot hopefully we can get some production out of him, i think we are due for a homerun of a trade. 

You don't consider getting two 20 goal guys for two second round picks a homerun?

8 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Oh lol. Well that was lost in translation. I think there is a chance he could be a home run. A lot of people forget that some players play much better in certain systems than others. The good news is Pouliot played well in Greens system in the past, and Greens system fits the current NHL unlike Willie D's.

46 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Which one is Pedan - Forsling or Clendening?

Don't think the analogy is a very good one tbh.

Pedan is nothing IMO - a throw-in, to balance contracts.

To me, it's Pouliot for a 4th. Which is very much like Clendening for a recent 5th. It's strikingly similar, in fact.

Archived