The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a #1 goalie...

Matt_T83

For our 'Nucks, or any offensive struggling team for that matter, a top goalie is key. They keep you in the game and make the team appear competitive.

Losing games by one goal margins and stealing a few on occasion by the same margin is the plan this season. 

It does look like the TG affect makes for a faster, more entertaining brand of hockey to be sure. However, it's not putting bums in the seats. Surely a top name goalie would help somewhat in that regard. But so would a top name d-man, winger, centre, la dee da dee da..........................

I say when the organization finally gets to the point of where they think they'll contend, then we go get ourselves a #1 goalie to get us to the big show. Just as we've done in the past.

Go Canucks Go!

2 hours ago, Emmetts said:

I am always confused by these posts. 

Markstrom is not real deal, wait for demko...

Markstrom was rated best goalie not in nhl, how will demko be better

Marky needs the games.  Why we left Miller out is curious to me.  All I thought to myself was "Wow! Another No.1 gone."

Markstrom needs to really step it up. or this rebuild is for nothing. 

4 hours ago, Emmetts said:

Yup,

If Demko has a shaky start it will be...."throw out the bum, we should start DiPietro".

On 10/17/2017 at 0:27 AM, Baggins said:

3 years ago - "Why did they waste money on Miller? Should have gone with Lack and Markstrom"

Last year - "Markstrom should be the starter, he's ready. Let Miller play backup"

Now - "We need a number 1 goalie".

:lol:

For a second there, I thought you were making fun of me (I was very fine with a Lack and Marky tandem over signing Miller) but then I read the rest! :lol:

I laughed, then I cried, because it's all true how bipolar this fan base is. Sure, maybe not all those fans are the same, but man, they're vocal.

I have never really liked Markstrom to be honest, and I agree that he is not starter goalie caliber. He's had his moments here and there, but overall I find he is quite average, not a difference maker like the way Lack was. I was really disappointed about losing Lack. Hopefully Nilsson can keep playing like he did against Ottawa and become the starter. We need top notch goal tending at a time like this, to keep us in the game.

10 hours ago, amitriptyline said:

I have never really liked Markstrom to be honest, and I agree that he is not starter goalie caliber. He's had his moments here and there, but overall I find he is quite average, not a difference maker like the way Lack was. I was really disappointed about losing Lack. Hopefully Nilsson can keep playing like he did against Ottawa and become the starter. We need top notch goal tending at a time like this, to keep us in the game.

Yet 3 years later Lack hasn't established himself as a starter either. Markstrom does have the better save percentage the past two seasons.

Man.... this city gets me rofl hard. We go years with the phrase rebuild on the fly ppl rage yelling "rebuild" we finally get to rebuild phase and ppl start getting upset that we are losing and we have sub par goaltending. I don't get it I'm confused let's just enjoy a season of no expectations and watch the kids grow into men. 

On 17/10/2017 at 10:31 AM, Emmetts said:

You nailed it.  The hype around Markstrom was world wide when he was a prospect...the next sure thing elite #1 ...if it wasn't for that pedigree he would have been toiling in the minors years ago, nobody has had as much ice time and chances to prove that he can do it more than Markstrom.  The line between NHL goalies and very good AHL goalies is razor thin.  Same with mediocre and elite NHL goalies.  

I wasn't convinced when we got him, and am still not convinced although he hasn't been awful either ( which is also part of the reason he keeps getting his ice time).  Last year playing the easier assignments he did ok, especially given our defense lacks a true top pairing, but it isn't horrible either.  

I have been watching games since R Broduer, and became a nut in the mid eightees.   In all that time we've had many goalies like Markstrom, uninspiring, with three excellent stoppers in McLean, Luongo and briefly Schneider.  Cloutier actually wasn't that bad, if we had any of the previous guys in their prime though we might have won a cup, which made his mediocrity that much more painful.

Personally I am glad we don't have great goaltending right now, as it would only stall our rebuild.  With maybe two pieces in Horvat and Boeser we are far from done.  It's also painful to see Sergachev kicking ass, and Chychrun doing so well last year.... Juolevi is really starting to look like a bust compared to who was available which is frustrating.

Demko may or may not become a true number one, and if he does may disappoint.  Benning should be loading up every year with a goalie, DiPeitro was the best in his league so it's a good start.

Clubs can always find a Nilsson, or if they are lucky a Talbot or Darling so we shouldnt panic yet.  But we also need to temper our expectations on Demko becoming our Savior, and too often i read on this forum that it's a foregone conclusion that he will be our number one, and that he will be elite.  

Ps.  Same goes for Goldobin, Dahlen, Lind and Jonah G....these guys might make it or not, and all of their ceilings are questionable.  Pettersson and Juolevi are probably going to make, and have a decent shot at making an impact though.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Yet 3 years later Lack hasn't established himself as a starter either. Markstrom does have the better save percentage the past two seasons.

You bet, can't believe anyone is sore about losing him still, yes he was a great teammate, but Benning is obviously a better guy at evaluation given that Lack hasn't done anything but suck since.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:31 AM, Emmetts said:

The problem is the team is coming along in the rebuild, and it's almost time to start being competitive again. At some point losing becomes prohibitive to player development. We don't really have a #1 goalie on the horizon. 

I don't really count Demko, because IMO he needs minimum 3 years before he's ready for the #1 job... and that's minimum. We need a #1 goalie within the next 2 years, at least one that can help the team be competitive. 

On 17/10/2017 at 10:31 AM, Emmetts said:

You nailed it.  The hype around Markstrom was world wide when he was a prospect...the next sure thing elite #1 ...if it wasn't for that pedigree he would have been toiling in the minors years ago, nobody has had as much ice time and chances to prove that he can do it more than Markstrom.  The line between NHL goalies and very good AHL goalies is razor thin.  Same with mediocre and elite NHL goalies.  

I wasn't convinced when we got him, and am still not convinced although he hasn't been awful either ( which is also part of the reason he keeps getting his ice time).  Last year playing the easier assignments he did ok, especially given our defense lacks a true top pairing, but it isn't horrible either.  

I have been watching games since Broduer, and became a nut in the mid eightees.   In all that time we've had many goalies like Markstrom, uninspiring, with three excellent stoppers in McLean, Luongo and briefly Schneider.  Cloutier actually wasn't that bad, if we had any of the previous guys in their prime we might have won a cup, which made his mediocrity that much more painful.

Personally I am glad we don't have great goaltending right now, as it would only stall our rebuild.  With maybe two pieces in Horvat and Boeser we are far from done.  It's also painful to see Sergachev kicking ass, and Chychrun doing so well last year.... Juolevi is really starting to look like a bust compared to who was available which is frustrating.

Demko may or may not become a true number one, and if he does may disappoint.  Benning should be loading up every year with a goalie, DiPeitro was the best in his league so it's a good start.

Clubs can always find a Nilsson, or if they are lucky a Talbot or Darling so we shouldnt panic yet.  But we also need to temper our expectations on Demko becoming our Savior, and too often i read on this forum that it's a foregone conclusion that he will be our number one, and that he will be elite.  

Ps.  Same goes for Goldobin, Dahlen, Juolevi, Lind and Jonah G....these guys might make it or not, and all of their ceilings are questionable.  Pettersson and Juolevi are probably going to make, a have a decent shot at making an impact though.

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Markstrom is good. Every goalie has some bad stretches. Give it time.

Funny though, listening to sports radio yesterday you would have thought Markstrom was being stapled to the bench for the rest of the season after Nilsson's shutout.

I would....

On 10/14/2017 at 10:08 PM, nickels said:

Markstrom was the worst player on either team tonite.

Have been saying in here for months/yrs....he is not a starting goalie in this league.

Never has been, isn't now and never will be.

Nor is Nillson....

That our management group could not see what was so obvious, inspires even less confidence in them than our goaltending.

On 10/14/2017 at 10:05 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Helps the stealth tank.

regards,  G.

We're gonna have to ride the pine with both Markstrom and Nilsson until Demko is NHL-ready. And don't forget about Mike DiPietro. We wanted a rebuild and growing pains are part of it. I have 110% trust in Benning and his strong scouting ability. Besides, having average to below average goaltending as a rebuilding team is far better than having it as a contending team.

Archived