The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

no suspension on Kadri....

doesn't take this mickey mouse league long to remind you that they're an inconsistent joke.

On a different note.

I just LOVE the reaction from Hansen...

This sequence should be played once a week to all youngsters starting out with the big club.

Its called sticking together, no matter what, we won't back down....

If there is something that brings players or any other group of people together, its the knowledge of 'I got you back'...

Just love that clip....

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

On a different note.

I just LOVE the reaction from Hansen...

This sequence should be played once a week to all youngsters starting out with the big club.

Its called sticking together, no matter what, we won't back down....

If there is something that brings players or any other group of people together, its the knowledge of 'I got you back'...

Just love that clip....

I have a feeling that the new core emerging will fully have each others backs, and that the new captain will answer the bell on his own behalf.

Gudbranson is already showing the kids how it's done with his protection of Markstrom against Twerpsteeg.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I have a feeling that the new core emerging will fully have each others backs, and that the new captain will answer the bell on his own behalf.

Gudbranson is already showing the kids how it's done with his protection of Markstrom against Twerpsteeg.

Yip, and that's why its imperative ,that we hold on to Gudbransson.

I like Guddy. I liked him in Florida and was genuinely floored when we got him. As a Van fan first, I'm glad we've resisted their offers to get him back.

That being said, I'm not upset at the 1-game suspension plus the major. He did it. If that hit had been against one of our players we would have wanted a suspension, so we need to accept it when one of our players did it.

Of course, like most Van fans I'm frustrated with the almost certainty that had the hit been *against* one of our players nothing would have happened. That video of the boarding by Kassian, despite distance traveled, not getting the same punishment only fuels that feeling that there are 2 sets of rules in the NHL, the one for teams the NHL doesn't care about like us and another for the favored teams. It's infuriating.

34 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yip, and that's why its imperative ,that we hold on to Gudbransson.

I agree. I don't understand this perception that we must trade him at the deadline. Maybe on paper his numbers don't add up, but he brings intangibles that we don't get from any other defenseman. He will be invaluable as we rebuild. Now that Tryamkin is gone we need his size more than ever. He's still pretty young and D men usually always improve with age. (Bouwmeester, Phaneuf)

11 minutes ago, BCNate said:

1 Games seems fair.  It was a pretty bad hit that they are trying to get out of the game.  People would be losing it here if it had been one of our guys that got hit like

two questionable hits no suspensions... yea we have a right to get pissed off. 

Funny thing though... Gudbranson is a good Canadian kid and everyone is standing up for him even though his bone headed play cost us 2 points last night. 

Had Edler done that... I guarantee most of you would be bashing him for costing us the game.

No one is talking about how Guddy cost us the game. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Gud. Just saying it like it is though. He cost us the game.

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

Funny thing though... Gudbranson is a good Canadian kid and everyone is standing up for him even though his bone headed play cost us 2 points last night. 

Had Edler done that... I guarantee most of you would be bashing him for costing us the game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gud. Just saying it like it is though. He cost us the game.

Maybe because some of us are ok with losing 2 points if we at least have shown, we’ve got a pulse. Too many times have we been done by the Bruins and ben bitterly disappointed of no fight back.

Yesterday Guddy made me happy... its not as if we are gonna win the cup this year.... 

PS. If Edler had done the same I would have been singing hallelujah. I have no issues with Edler at all. Just wish he would use his strength some more, cause he actually can. 

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

The league is trying to get rid of hits that occur when the person has his back turned, because that is when they are most vulnerable. It doesn't matter where the contact occurred, it is still a hit to a player with his back turned. Now hitting a player from the side, shoulder to shoulder is ok because the player has peripheral vision and can detect the hit and prepare himself. Gudbranson should've just went for the bear hug in that situation, it was a bad hit but I hope he doesn't stop the hitting. He is really good when he is hitting other players, just in this case he made a bad judgement call to hit him from the back.

He tried to dodge him is what I was getting at, he hit the glass and went on 1 leg to try and dodge a bit, unfortunately his pelvis ended up hitting him which is also why Varr got launched the way he did. 

Claiming hit hit him directly in the numbers is completely inaccurate, he didn't hit him in the numbers at all, it was still a bad hit but the reason for it was not due to contact to the numbers but his lower body smashing into him. 

To me thats not a hit worthy of a suspension at all. And im not biased if the same hit was against us it should be 2 minutes only.  I miss aggressive and physical hockey. The on ice version of NHL hockey these days is so pussified, the game isnt even 1/10th as entertaining as it once was. Players dont even have to keep their head up or watch body positioning anymore because any infraction against them is penalized. I truly feel the game is more dangerous then it ever was before, because players dont skate with their heads on a swivel or protect themselves properly.

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe because some of us are ok with losing 2 points if we at least have shown, we’ve got a pulse. Too many times have we been done by the Bruins and ben bitterly disappointed of no fight back.

Yesterday Guddy made me happy... its not as if we are gonna win the cup this year.... 

PS. If Edler had done the same I would have been singing hallelujah. I have no issues with Edler at all. Just wish he would use his strength some more, cause he actually can. 

To do it to Vatrano though... a bottom 6 forward? It's not like he did it to Chara, Backes, Marchnose, Keith, Doughty... 

I think it was a dumb play. I rather he throws clean hits or if it's dirty to someone that really deserves it. 

Regardless, I like the way Guddy plays. It wasn't a good penalty to take though.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:03 PM, apollo said:

To do it to Vatrano though... a bottom 6 forward? It's not like he did it to Chara, Backes, Marchnose, Keith, Doughty... 

I think it was a dumb play. I rather he throws clean hits or if it's dirty to someone that really deserves it. 

Regardless, I like the way Guddy plays. It wasn't a good penalty to take though.

Here's the thing....we SCREAM for a team that's physical and this is part of that.  I don't have a problem with this hit AT ALL...they'll go sideways at times.  When a guy changes position, it's hard to hold up.    It's not like he "chose" a guy to hit....he was playing a physical game and I, for one, LOVE that.

9 minutes ago, apollo said:

Don't worry I would have been crying tears of joy if they had had to scrape rat boy of the boards, but unfortunately that never happened. Maybe next time...

1 hour ago, apollo said:

He didn't cost us the game....that absolute terrible coverage on the kill and the terrible reffing not calling an instigator cost that game.  The PK was &^@#in* bush league and hung Nillson out to dry. 

Archived