The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Lucky for Kass, he's not wearing a Canucks jersey any more. Looked like he could have broken the guy's neck. If I was a player and had the choice, I would much rather take the Guddy hit than the Kass hit.

Did Hartman have to leave the game?

2 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

"Documented Ammunition: How a rag-tag bunch of hockey forum commentors took down the DoPS and ultimately exposed the decades long NHL anti-Canuck conspiracy" The new 30 for 30 coming in 2019.

i'm now gonna bank on you to do the investigation

and produce that beauty

it'll likely win an award (well from cdc anyway)

So none of those hits were suspended and they both look way worse than Gudbranson's hit on Vatrano. The hit Toffoli did on Burrows didn't got suspended because he gotten 5 minutes and a game and we scored our game winning goal in that 5 minte major and that considers to evens it out. Isn't that the same thing with Gudbranson? The Bruins run up the score on that one penalty and the 5 min and the game mis-conduct should have done it. The League is bias they hate the Canucks and the League can go F**K themselves!

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Documented ammunition to do what exactly? Come on to CDC and whine and cry to each other about how there is some massive league-wide conspiracy against the Canucks?

The league sets a precedent with every decision they make. That's not right. There should be a precedent set ONCE with ONE decision in any particular type of dangerous play.
This is, of course, the reason why people are upset every time something like this happens. Because the league isn't doing what it says it's doing. They cherry pick their "decisions". There are words for that...

With regards to documentation, I was referring to something called leverage. This exact. same. play. is going to happen at some point to one of our players this year, because at this point it's still a pretty common occurrence. Now, when you have a league ruling in your pocket when that inevitability occurs, and the league does nothing about it (or worse, no penalty is called in the first place) - there's your ammunition. Until the league pulls it's head out of it's proverbial collective keester, there should be an appeals process set up whereby management can dispute a situation like this. Using evidence already in hand (reference my first point). 
For much more serious infractions - like Dennis Widemans suspension for assaulting a linesman last year - there was a process whereby a neutral arbitrator reduced the sentence from 20 to 10 games... he was then fired by the NHL... what does that tell you? The system is broken and it sucks for the game. 

There are plenty of people in here whining about this. I'm not one of them. Just pointing out facts.

What an absolute joke. I remember those hits @ruilin96 just posted. The hit on Burrows was particularly ugly. Not even a phone call to Toffoli for that? Really?

The hit on Hansen was clean imo, but hit on Daniel was flagrant intent to injure by Kadri, and iirc he didn’t get a damn thing. Just disgusting. 

Meanwhile, Guddy makes a play that while illegal (and penalized, costing us the game) on a player when Guddy has no prior infractions of being dirty, and from what I could see was a bad hockey play, gets a game while Kassian’s hit gets nothing. I just don’t get it. 

6 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

What an absolute joke. I remember those hits @ruilin96 just posted. The hit on Burrows was particularly ugly. Not even a phone call to Toffoli for that? Really?

The hit on Hansen was clean imo, but hit on Daniel was flagrant intent to injure by Kadri, and iirc he didn’t get a damn thing. Just disgusting. 

Meanwhile, Guddy makes a play that while illegal (and penalized, costing us the game) on a player when Guddy has no prior infractions of being dirty, and from what I could see was a bad hockey play, gets a game while Kassian’s hit gets nothing. I just don’t get it. 

Lip service.  

That's all they're interested in delivering.  Just make it seem like they're addressing things when, really, they're selectively still picking and choosing on a case by case (who did it) basis.  You can't fix things that way and it simply perpetuates the problem.  No ifs, and or but(theads).

18 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Game management. Shanahan is in tight with NHL brass, and was, at one time, the incompetent head of the DoPS. The Kings are a big American market that won two cups, so Bettman doesn't want to slow their roll.

13 hours ago, Toews said:

Should be 2 games. His numbers were visible the entire time, you can't make that hit. Someone mentioned Kassian on Hartman, that was a hit more to the side than right into the numbers.

the only part that made contact was gudbrandsons pelvis and a glancing elbow, he didnt touch his numbers, he got him in the pants. 

13 hours ago, Shekky said:

during the broadcast they talked about another player who did something similar but only 3 minutes or something anyone else remember what they had said about it?

Yes.

What they were talking about was that Schaller didn't get an instigator penalty when he came in to fight Gudbranson.  If he had, then his extra two minutes would have effectively made it only a 3 minute powerplay.

The other half of that discussion was how, I think in the Ottawa game, in a similar situation Dorsett got the extra two minutes for instigating.  So why did it apply in the Ottawa game but not here?

Archived