The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll Questions - Future Captaincy and 2nd pairing Left D

Rush17

Poll questions  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have a lot of depth at LD, from NHL, AHL and beyond.

Brisebois won't see the NHL for a while IMO. I think he's going to be the type of player to jump up early. Besides Juolevi is in his way, he'll have time to develop.

Also, we have to consider the possibility of Tryamkin returning down the road. That won't be for a while either if it happens.

You have to think a guy like Hutton is pretty expendable. Given the fact that Pouliot is younger, has more offensive upside, and has familiarity with Green I feel that Hutton will be moved eventually. Maybe not this season but eventually.

Also, I think Edler is gone once one of the young guys proves themselves capable of handling top 4 minutes.

MDZ should stick around.

the question about Hutton vs Pouliot is an interesting one. Pouliot had miles more hype and ceiling in the minors, but Hutton had a better time breaking in to the league. But I don't know that Hutton is really getting any better or is going to be able to hold on to a top 4 spot, whereas DP seems to be finally getting comfortable and is jumping in and starting to actually shoot the puck. If DP can clean up his giveaways a little bit and work with a skating coach I think its going to be Hutton's spot to lose, particularly if DP starts to score. 

Just now, billabong said:

If pouliot or Hutton are 2nd pairing D than we won’t be contending for a cup

Not the way they are now, but they are 23 and 24, respectively. If they improve, as most d-men do, with age, they might be solid second-paring d-men.

Horvat - #1C and captain

Gudbranson, Tanev and Boeser with the As

Pouliot over Hutton

Kane* - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Pettersson - Lind

Dahlen - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gadjovich - MacEwen - Lockwood

Juolevi - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Brisebois - Stecher

Chatfield

Markstrom

Demko

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Horvat - #1C and captain

Gudbranson, Tanev and Boeser with the As

Pouliot over Hutton

Kane* - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Pettersson - Lind

Dahlen - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gadjovich - MacEwen - Lockwood

Juolevi - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Brisebois - Stecher

Chatfield

Markstrom

Demko

That's a good team.  Could I switch Brisebios with Dhalin? :)

I voted to play along but come on... some of these guys haven't even had a lick of NHL action... there's no way you can guarantee all will pan out to become good NHL'ers. 

Also Virtanen should be on the assistant captain list... at least he's made the NHL. 

Bo for Captain in 5 years. There's really no contest here. 

We have a ton of prospects with great character, and some even appear to have excellent character, namely Boeser, Gaudette, Pettersson, Gadjovich, Dipietro, in addition to current roster players like Bo, Tanev and Guddy. Long term, definitely past 5-7 years from now, I think Gaudette earns an alternate. If Bo is gonna be a semblance of Captain Serious Toews 2.0, Gaudette will be the opposite - the confident, loud, laughing side of the coin. He's a low round pick who has so far, blown past his expected performance levels and improved basically every aspect of his play.

Picks for me are:

Captaincy - Horvat obviously. He's already shown leadership at the young age of 22. Not to mention he brings it every game, and shows his intensity that everyone should follow.

2nd D pairing - For now I'd pick Pouliot because Hutton has struggled. But in a few years it could change so it's tough to say.

3 assistant captains - Boeser, Pettersson and Juolevi. Just because they may be the top players in a few years.

1st line Center - Pettersson obviously. That guy is a stud.

Horvat will be our future captain, I don't think there's any debate about that.

If all goes well Pettersson will eventually be our #1 C.

In terms of assistant captains, I think Boeser will definitely be one, possibly Gaudette. Other than that I think more likely candidates are guys like Tanev, Gudbranson, Hutton, Granlund, Sutter. Our team is never just going to be the young core to win the cup we will need a number of key veterans.

Also for those of you predicting teams, we're not getting rid of Eriksson or Sutter any time soon and I doubt any GM would want them as healthy scratches at their cap hits.

Archived