The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you changed your mind on this season? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Have you changed your mind on the Canucks this season?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lots of considerations before re-signing the Sedins. 

Baer virt gaunce granlund subban rodin stecher pouliot all are waiver eligible next year. If there are not enough spots you can lose one or more of them. 

Pettersson dahlen Gaudette Lind gadjovich all knocking on the door for a spot on the team. Are any ready to play such that you don't want to hold them back?

Plus Gaudette isn't signed and becomes a free agent Aug 2019

So yes it's not as simple as giving 2 spots to the Sedins next year just if they want to play. 

I tend not to even approach hockey from a season-to-season angle, just one game at a time, like a player would. Win every battle, every shift, every game, see where it takes you.

Tankers take note, it's way easier on the blood pressure.

So, no, nothing has changed for me. Let's keep it rolling.

I'm still keeping realistic expectations and hoping for the best.  I'm totally ok with a few years of competitive but not league leading results.  I think we have a couple of Gems in Horvat and Boeser, if Pettersson is also the real deal we could have two decent lines.  Other than them, I'm all for trading anyone if it makes sense.  I'd try and re-sign the Sedins if they want to come back, but at reasonable contracts knowing they will be seeing reduced roles.  I predict Virt and the Sedins will get chemistry as the season moves along and will be great depth in scoring, perhaps as a third line.  I won't be surprised to see them break out at some point this season.

To be honest, I was expecting another lottery finish to this season, and I was looking forward to a Svechnikov or Dahlin. I suppose that is a sign of how awful the past couple years have been. This year so far? I have actually enjoyed watching the team. There is grit, and jam, and try. I can't remember the last time I saw a good come from behind win, or even a lost game that the Canucks dominated. It's still early, yes. But I like where it's headed so far. I still see a drop coming, and probably a miss of the playoffs. But an encouraging sign is that it is usually the youth spurring the good play rather than the veterans dragging it up, like Calgary all those years. The Vaneks, and even the Gudbransons, I would like to see traded come deadline, if a deal can't be made with the latter.

I predicted the Canucks would either squeak into the playoffs or just miss them.

No change in my prediction.

As I said then, I think a lot of people under-estimate this team.

Right now they are playing slightly better than I expected, but they also have been up against some weaker teams.

I still think it would be in the Canucks best interest to bottom-out for another year or two. The kids are making that difficult though and the team has been fun to watch for the most part, but still...

With the way things are going so far, my fear is that we'll become like the Philadelphia Flyers of the west. Definitely a good team - some good players, fun to watch, sometimes in the playoffs - sometimes not, depending on the season. Might win the odd playoff round or two or even go on the occasional miracle run to the Final, but unfortunately is never anyone's pick to win the cup, and they dont. Actually not dissimilar to some older incarnations of the Canucks. I'd rather be wrong but that is my concern.

7 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think they are both in or both out.

I could be completely wrong, this is just my opinion, based off what I read from Benning and Linden's management style.

They have been the cornerstones of this organization for almost 15 years, I think they will be given the decision on when to call it a career.

You may be right about but I hope the decision as to whether or not to call it quits for the twins us made by mgmt based on the progress of our prospects. If we have kids that are ready, they shouldn't be held back over some warm and fuzzy loyalty to the sedins.  Let the twins announce it any way they like but if there are better options, pull the plug.

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edler may be interested in playing with Backstrom in Washington, and he'd be a good fit for them for their playoff run. 

I have lost faith in what Edler can do now.  But if he has value somewhere else... that would be great.  Do you think he is worth more than a 2nd round pick?

My opinion hasn't changed much, I didn't think we'd be as competitive as we have been but Green's admittedly a bit of a wild card. There are still periods we've stunk but a higher battle level has been more consistent thus far. Can we sustain it? I think so, the guys look to be buying in but we'll see what happens.

I figured we'd be in the running for another high pick and it's still too early to say. Could we make the playoffs? Potentially as a wildcard spot, I don't believe we're strong enough yet to hold down a divisional spot. Are we better served missing the playoffs? Hard to say. At this point any sustained losing could still sink the season.

As for the twins, I'm undecided but leaning towards having them retire. If they wanna stick around cheap I'd consider one more year, but they can't make anywhere near what they make now. Realistically opening those two forward spots would be more valuable to us going forward unless they can turn things up as the year progresses. They still have skill, but they certainly aren't the players they once were. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Vets? I'll never be on board with a fire sale, having vets around to insulate the young guys is something a young team needs. But I wouldn't be opposed to moving Vanek, Gagner or even Tanev if the right deal comes along.

It's nice seeing a competitive team each and every night. The last few seasons has been brutal to watch. I attribute a lot of it to Travis Green and his coaching style. Honestly, the with the Canucks and their luck they will never win a draft lottery and I hope the guys that they have drafted in recent years ( Boeser, Petterson, Juolevi, Gaudette) pan out better than expected and keep the team in contention without going full rebuild like Edmonton or TO. 

The kind of hockey Green has the Canucks playing is precisely what I envisioned before the season started...I can't believe I watched 3 seasons of WD hockey..I really look forward to the games now...I honestly don't even think about the playoffs..Just enjoying the 'here and now' watching our young players improve.

I checked every players name as tradeable..Besides Horvat and Boeser,everybody is fair game.

11 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

The kind of hockey Green has the Canucks playing is precisely what I envisioned before the season started...I can't believe I watched 3 seasons of WD hockey..I really look forward to the games now...I honestly don't even think about the playoffs..Just enjoying the 'here and now' watching our young players improve.

I checked every players name as tradeable..Besides Horvat and Boeser,everybody is fair game.

You know Honky Cat.......I have been reading that a lot lately....everyone is just sitting back and watching the team play....win or lose, they have been good games....and everyone has been enjoying what they have been seeing.....most anyways!

The team has even quieted some of us Tankers........::D

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know Honky Cat.......I have been reading that a lot lately....everyone is just sitting back and watching the team play....win or lose, they have been good games....and everyone has been enjoying what they have been seeing.....most anyways!

The team has even quieted some of us Tankers........::D

I am still all in on a late season slide. Dump anyone who doesn't fit into the long term plans. I think it is imperative that we continue to build up our prospect depth. It is the reason the team is seeing improvements  now. It is the youth who are leading us now. 

Vanek , Gagner , Guddy , Edler , Dorsett and a Goal tender could all be moved.

We need space for Gaudett ,  Goldobin , Juolevi , Petersson and Dahlen as soon as next year.

5 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Lots of considerations before re-signing the Sedins. 

Baer virt gaunce granlund subban rodin stecher pouliot all are waiver eligible next year. If there are not enough spots you can lose one or more of them. 

Pettersson dahlen Gaudette Lind gadjovich all knocking on the door for a spot on the team. Are any ready to play such that you don't want to hold them back?

Plus Gaudette isn't signed and becomes a free agent Aug 2019

So yes it's not as simple as giving 2 spots to the Sedins next year just if they want to play. 

Good post... definitely worth considerations. +1

Odd fear in a few senses - one being the Flyers picking 2nd overall this summer despite not 'bottoming out' to do so - having that pick to add to the other youth they've built.

The other - that you're describing the Flyers results of the past, which doesn't really define an 'identity' / dictate their future/path.

if you look at who Philly has drafted in their recent history

Couturier

Laughton

Gostisbehere

Moran Hagg Sanheim

Provorov

Konecny

Rubtsov

Hart

Allison

Nolan Patrick

I don't see why a person would be afraid of the future of a franchise building on young players like those.

And they got that 2nd overall pick, while this team fell back in two consecutive drafts.  If anything, the evidence is in on 'bottoming out' - you can't assume it guarantees you top 3 lottery picks...  As a strategy it presumes your team is an Edmonton or Toronto - a lottery champion - as opposed to all the other teams that haven't had those lottery picks.  There's also the risk of devaluing the assets you do have to move in the process.

Philly also still have guys/assets like Giroux, Vorachek, Simmonds....

I don't see Philly as necessarily defined by their recent history - so I can't fear being like them.   If you don't want to mimic their results of the past decade that makes sense, but there is no way of really projecting results over a future term like that, and 'bottoming out' doesn't necessarily produce better or different results.  I think it comes down moreso to focusing on who you draft, acquire, sign, (accross the board) - than focusing on where you finish, where you'll draft - which you can't/don't control at the top of the (lottery) process in any event.  The 'increase your odds' argument doesn't look that realistically at the actual odds - it looks at examples, like the Toronto Maple Leafs.  Ironically, closer to home, the result has been consecutive two spot drops in draft position.

Maybe we should hope to emulate Philly.   Have a pretty good season - with their youth driving a lot of it.  Just miss the playoffs.  But then win a lottery pick.  Sounds like a pretty good trajectory.

I've watched a few Flyers games this season. Really like what they're building over there. They're edging into the group with Ottawa and Columbus as my eastern teams.

Tbh I'm just so sick of the Leafs/Oilers/Sabres/Coyotes mindset that you need to bottom out for 5-10yrs in order to be a contender, otherwise you might as well blow it all up and mope. I'm really hoping the next 10 or 15 years will be dominated by the teams that rebuilt while competing. The Wings, Flyers, Senators, Canucks, hell even the Sharks.

4 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

I've watched a few Flyers games this season. Really like what they're building over there. They're edging into the group with Ottawa and Columbus as my eastern teams.

Tbh I'm just so sick of the Leafs/Oilers/Sabres/Coyotes mindset that you need to bottom out for 5-10yrs in order to be a contender, otherwise you might as well blow it all up and mope. I'm really hoping the next 10 or 15 years will be dominated by the teams that rebuilt while competing. The Wings, Flyers, Senators, Canucks, hell even the Sharks.

100% second that..... +10

Archived