The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Los Angeles Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, pavel berezin said:

Another poor start by the Canucks which they actually managed to dig themselves out of. And why? The Sedins. I critiqued their play last game, but they certainly showed up tonight, and nothing would delight me more than to see them finish the season strong. Because no one wants to see great players limp out the rest of their career. Please, please Daniel & Henrik, finish strong!

Horvat's line played well, as did Thomas Vanek. Speaking of Vanek it continues to astound me how little ice time Coach Green seems to give this guy, and yet he's still one of the best players out there. I thought Brandon Sutter had a good game, almost scoring on that chance, even if his penalty shot was nothing to write home about. Nilsson bounced back after that early softie, and he had two very tough tests in the last 5 minutes of the game to preserve the tie. The D played well too. They didn't allow a whole lot of quality chances against, and were passing the puck up to the forwards effectively. And although there were a couple soft plays getting the pucks out of the d-zone I think that was mostly forwards with the soft plays. 

Great team effort to not let themselves get rattled and come back from being down 2-0. But personally I can't feel too high about this victory, because of the third poor start in a row, and the two previous efforts. Prove me wrong boys!

Our top two lines all year have been the Baer / Bo / Brock line & Burmistrov now Gaunce / Sutter / Dorsett lines. With Sutter's line doing the heavy defensive match ups. @oldnews had a great post noting Sutter had ZERO offensive zone starts tonight, nearly 20 minutes TOI, killed penalties and still had a relatively positive Corsi.

Green has played the Vanek / Gagner line as 3rd line when they are outplaying the Sedin line quite often. Who slipped notoriously to 4th line minutes at times this year, infamously. Tonight the Sedin line pressed most of the night.

Understandable that Vanek had to take a bit of a void... (although I like that he looked dangerous).

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Honestly, as likeable of a guy as Gaunce is... I doubt we could even trade him for peanuts. I think if he was to be waived, he'd go through with ease.

He's not a bad hockey player or a defensive liability or anything... but he just can't produce. I hope he proves me wrong and starts producing but I doubt it and I'd rather see Jake back in the lineup.

He had a nice pass to Sutter last night.  Should have had a point there.  Green had him out there at the end of the game too.  I think Gaunce fits good on Sutters line.  That frees up Granlund for a more offensive role.  I don't think Virt fits well on Sutters line so they need to find a place for him.  Green has Gaunce, Virt and Burmi to fit into the lineup as injuries appear and I like what he's doing so far.  Personally I think at the end of the yr Gaunce will have more points than either of the other two.

3 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I've been saying all along to use Bo as the net front presence and Boeser as the shooter on the power play, not sure how it takes them this long to figure out.

Pouliot better not get sat when the other d-men return. Or it's Pittsburgh all over again. 

Good to see Eriksson playing well. 

And the poster who wants to sign Kane for 7 million for 8 years... Seriously? That's another Eriksson/Gagner contract. 

$7 mill might be a tad high?

But Kane is similarly a 30 goal scorer. With world class speed.  Any bets he tips 30 again this year? But he is also 6 years younger than when we signed Loui.

Evander also busts heads!

Plus 1 for your PP observations tho...

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Honestly, as likeable of a guy as Gaunce is... I doubt we could even trade him for peanuts. I think if he was to be waived, he'd go through with ease.

He's not a bad hockey player or a defensive liability or anything... but he just can't produce. I hope he proves me wrong and starts producing but I doubt it and I'd rather see Jake back in the lineup.

Gaunce is fine. If his trade value is low, keep him!:frantic:

Extremely quickly and confidently was Gaunce assigned by Green to play top shutdown minutes with Sutter. 6'2'' nearly 220 lbs, can skate, is competent defensively. Handy when you match up to Kopitar and Brown, etc., all the big, strong & heavy California match ups. Which allows Granlund to add somettin sometin with Vanek / Gagner. They have been both dangerous, and better defensively since Granlund was available.

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That hit by Biega!

I think sit Granny for Virtanen for a game to wake him up.

Love the bulldog but he does need some maintenance days from time to time.  He gets away from what makes him effective when he gets a lot of steady work and does get worn down due to size.  But he was good last night no doubt.  When our D gets the puck up the ice and contests the blue line hard we have a chance with the goaltending we have been getting.  If only he could shoot he would be top 4 type d man in the modern game because he is such a superior skater.  

Totally agree on Granny.  Seems a little lost out there as he does get moved around a fair bit.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has some physical issue he is playing with a bit like last year at times.  Virtanen and Gaunce are young, strong and fast and they can give us some push on the forecheck.  I miss Virtanen's explosive skating out there though Loui put a big dent in Virt's playing time chances last night.  

Vanek is finding his way but needs the right supporting cast otherwise he isn't much use.  Hopefully Gagner can raise his game a touch more because we need that line to be a threat out there.  Travis can't ride Bo and Sutter lines too hard.  Luckily, the Sedins look pretty energized right now at both ends and Erickson helped them last night.  

We just have to get all 4 lines going to have a chance to make the playoffs.  

2 hours ago, Rabbit said:

Welcome, I agreed that Gaunce is no use last night, even this season so far. Coach Green might has a plan for him, that benefit him and Canucks in future.

We wait what is going.

He plays exactly the way Green wants. He wont be back in Utica. He is supposed to forecheck and back check and keep the crease clean when called upon. That's it.  And he did it well last night. No surprise to see him out there in all the d zone face-offs and last minute last night. He also put one on Sutters tape last night that led to the penalty shot. He is another year away but he isn't going anywhere. He looks heavier this year too. He played the whole game against the Kings top line and stopped Doughty rushing the puck in his tracks three times. We have maybe 4 guys who can do that on the whole team. Doughty was skating by people and wasn't bothered at all by Sutter, Dorsett, anybody under 200 pounds had no chance against him. And anybody over 200 pounds who isn't fast had no chance either. 

Gaunce's film is going to look good in our end.  Offense is not quite up to snuff yet but Green wont give a damn about that.  Gaunce may have to add pugilism to his repertoire to really ensure his spot. 

4 hours ago, Tough Nuck said:

Hi Bree. Welcome! This only my 4th post, but i agree with you. I find the whole business with Gaunce to be perplexing. Gaunce scored the grand total of 0 goals last year, yet Green is finding a way to get him in the line-up ahead of Virtanen. Just doesn't make sense to me. We need to be embracing/supporting the goal scoring potential of our up an comers and it appears like Virts is getting the short end of the stick, especiallygiven how $&!#ty the team has been playing before last night.

Yeah, there a lot of Gaunce supporters but I'm not sure he brings enough to the table. Besides his current lack of production he play a plodding do nothing style I'm not fond of.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

But Kane is similarly a 30 goal scorer. With world class speed.  Any bets he tips 30 again this year? But he is also 6 years younger than when we signed Loui.

No thanks, we don't want another $7 million dollar/year contract. One is too much, to add another bad contract would just handcuff us. Rather the Canucks trade for more players of Baertschi and pouliot type who are young and want to prove themselves instead of signing a head case. In a couple of years we will have Petersson, Dahlen and Gaudette on the team with maybe Goldobin so there is no need for Kane.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I mean he’s only scored 30 goals once though. Yeah last year he probably would have if he didn’t miss some games, but the guy misses games every season. Can’t really rely on a full 82. 

Also dont forget eriksson scores 30 before coming to van

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't mind the price so much but the term. I just feel like with the way he plays we might get 4 good years out of him before he starts to decline with the type of game he plays.

22 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Delzotto had a tough outing but Biega bailed him out a few times.  Gaunce a physical presence out there will get a confidence boost playing shut down against top line at crunch time.  

Granny needs to get off the schneid.  Then we will have something on that third line.  Get Virtanen back in there somewhere Travis!

We need what Virtanen brings to the table, He is very fast on forecheck, Big guy with speed at 6'1 215, Come on we don't have forwards that Virtanen brings..

I would be starting to get frustrated if I was Virtanen.. Came to came did everything Green asked him, coming in great shape and acting like a pro..

Virtanen plays hard and he's watching these other guys playing a head of him??

Time to start playing this young talents guy..

Jake adds, Speed, aggressive on forecheck with a good shot...We need Jake..

Avg 8-9 mins thats just crazy.. Come on we need Jakes to crash and bang and use his speed..

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

We need what Virtanen brings to the table, He is very fast on forecheck, Big guy with speed at 6'1 215, Come on we don't have forwards that Virtanen brings..

I would be starting to get frustrated if I was Virtanen.. Came to came did everything Green asked him, coming in great shape and acting like a pro..

Virtanen plays hard and he's watching these other guys playing a head of him??

Time to start playing this young talents guy..

Jake adds, Speed, aggressive on forecheck with a good shot...We need Jake..

Avg 8-9 mins thats just crazy.. Come on we need Jakes to crash and bang and use his speed..

#FreeJake

23 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

JB is getting a lot of well-earned love for the Pouliot coup, but signing Nilsson instead of Miller was maybe the best move this season.  Markstrom and Nilsson are playing as a great goaltender tandem, and give us an excellent chance to win almost every night.  Building from the net out, the acquisitions of Pouliot, Stetcher, Gudbranson, and Del Zotto have given this team a totally different look on the back end, and has made this team MUCH better!

Archived