The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

....Like walking naked through a snowstorm

darkpoet

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Even though Benning denied any urgency in regards to finding a replacement for Dors, I bet thought of Boes getting run by some puke like Kadri is giving him night sweats.

A reason why Virtanen should play on the Left Wing with Bo and Boeser this year, he can give the line a physical presence against Kadri and other dirty rats.

1 minute ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

A reason why Virtanen should play on the Left Wing with Bo and Boeser this year, he can give the line a physical presence against Kadri and other dirty rats.

I dunno man. I like Jake but I don't see him being a great fit with Bo and Brock yet. He's not quite thinking the game like a top 6 player.

That being said, I would still like to see him line up with the 2 B's for a game, or part of, just to see. Maybe he'd excel with those guys.

Wilson will be overpriced imo - is over-rated relative to what he'd probably cost in terms of assets - and is an RFA this summer, who'd have to be re-upped, so there is contigency with this cap hit (and term) as well.

Market value - does anyone expect to get Wilson for less than a 1st?  Probably not realistic.   In addition - he fills a need in Washington that would be filled by whom in his absence?

I'd prefer to liberate Zack from that lottery champion gongshow in Deadmonton and bring him back where he belongs.

He has a couple years left at $2 million - and he's being wasted in Siberia, playing fourth line minutes (22nd in atoi there) and confined in his role.

I like the developments in Kass' game - penalty killing, better two way player who also stepped up when it counted.  Still no doubt has those fine hands, good speed, and that unpredictable edge of his.

Market value - does anyone think it would take anywhere near as much to pry Zack out of Edmonton?  In addition, Edmonton has it's Lucic, it's Maroon, Gryba, Nurse....And Zack has journeyed, meaning his perceived value is probably not in the same ballpark despite him being every bit the player Wilson is, every bit as tough, every bit as much upside.

Free Zack.  His true job should be scoring goals, making sweet feeds, playing good two way hockey, and of course, punching Coiler faces, not wearing that ugly jersey.

Image result for kassian eager

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i dunno man

i think you have to remove your sunglasses when looking at the tram situation

he came into camp in poor shape, displayed his lack of professionalism in that respect

he was not able to earn a starting dman position as a result

and it would have been unwise to sit a fully prepared dman just to give tram some ice time

he was offered a conditioning stint to utica so he could get game time to help him get in the sort of shape he should have been in when he came to camp

he declined.. which i view as immature, since he created this dilemma himself

his contract clause saying he could refuse an assignment to utica was put in place to ensure he would not simply be sent there but he could opt to return to khl or russia instead (it was to ensure he remained on the nhl roster)

it was not worded to say he could come to camp out of shape and simply nail his ass to vancouver and take his time to get into proper shape during season while the rest of the team played nhl games

he made the situation awkward and undermined the organization's trust in him

to then suggest he was entitled to a bigger and bigger role as the season went on

simply does not allow sufficient time for trust to be repaired

and remember he and the team were not operating in a vacuum.. all the other players on the roster were watching what was going on

and whether the organization would bend its standards for 1 player

they did not

and they carry on applying these standards presently (to the dismay of some virt fanatics)

i am content with how the team dealt with tram

Yeah they sure showed him. Bottom 3 finish and 2 years later we still have 0 grit. Game, set, match.

It would be a huge move, but as op alluded to; after Guddy our D is soft AF.

So, what would it take to pry Big Buff outta the peg?

Baerschi, Hutton and our 2nd this year?

I would honestly be find adding to the package significantly, but Buffffff paired with Tanev could be one of the best pairings in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

I've got hopes for Pouliot. Nothing to really complain about PP wise last night, but I really liked the way he moved across the blueline at times to try and create some open lanes against the Isles. 

Haven't seen a single Comets yet game this year. I wonder if LaBate has matured from his taking silly penalties in years past. 

He really hasn't. Takes way too many soft/silly pentalies...not something he could be doing in the NHL. I would much rather prefer they call up Macewen instead, or just not even bother calling anyone up.

3 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I agree with your post, we need more toughness for sure. I think they should look within the organization first. There are guys like MacEwen, Archibald that should get a serious look first.

Labate is kind of a forgotten man down in Utica. I always liked him after the training camp he had last year and figured he was on track to have a solid career as a bottom six forward. What happened?

14 minutes ago, Peter Campbell said:

It would be a huge move, but as op alluded to; after Guddy our D is soft AF.

So, what would it take to pry Big Buff outta the peg?

Baerschi, Hutton and our 2nd this year?

I would honestly be find adding to the package significantly, but Buffffff paired with Tanev could be one of the best pairings in the NHL. 

Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

First, Winnipeg has a deep, quality prospect pool - and a deep, young roster.  The last thing they need is a volume deal for middling assets.  They're about to contend - or at least are a good goaltender away from a contending roster.

That might be a good deal from our perspective, but you'd have to find a team for whom a retool move makes sense, and Winnipeg is probably not that team.

You may have better luck targetting a guy like Bogosian - who may come at a more moderate cost given he lacks Byf's upside - but then you have to ask if you want to commit over 5 million of cap to Bogosian?

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

First, Winnipeg has a deep, quality prospect pool - and a deep, young roster.  The last thing they need is a volume deal for middling assets.  They're about to contend - or at least are a good goaltender away from a contending roster.

That might be a good deal from our perspective, but you'd have to find a team for whom a retool move makes sense, and Winnipeg is probably not that team.

You may have better luck targetting a guy like Bogosian - who may come at a more moderate cost given he lacks Byf's upside - but then you have to ask if you want to commit over 5 million of cap to Bogosian?

I would be much happier with 7.6 to Buff for 3 years tbh.

I truly don't thing Baerschi is a middling asset, he is a legitimate top 6 left wing even if people on this forum don't believe it. To a contender at the deadline at the absolute least his value is a 1st.

I also don't know teams rosters like I used to, if you were the Jets would you entertain a starting offer of Baerschi, Markstrom, Hutton and Lind for Buff and Adam Lowry?

1 minute ago, Peter Campbell said:

I would be much happier with 7.6 to Buff for 3 years tbh.

I truly don't thing Baerschi is a middling asset, he is a legitimate top 6 left wing even if people on this forum don't believe it. To a contender at the deadline at the absolute least his value is a 1st.

I also don't know teams rosters like I used to, if you were the Jets would you entertain a starting offer of Baerschi, Markstrom, Hutton and Lind for Buff and Adam Lowry?

I just don't think that's a deal that makes sense for either side.

Baertschi may be a top 6 LW - 2nd line imo - but that is still 'middling' in my perspective and simply not a principle that is going to get Winnipeg talking, particularly with the quality, depth and youth they already have on their roster and in their system.  It's a non-starter imo.

And then there is the fact that Byf is 32 and approaching 33 - so you're looking at adding a guy that doesn't really fit this team's timeline moving forward, at a price that really should be spent on an asset that is much younger (if you're determined to do so).

I think Bogosian would make more sense from both team's perspectives - he may not be Byf, but he brings size and edge to the blueline, which is the principal concern in these transition years - with the potential to still emerge more.

But imo neither of those are the best options - from my standpoint, if you're going to add grit for grit sake make it a forward that does not deplete your blueline - defensemen ideally do not play this role, or it taxes your other 5 guys.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Wilson will be overpriced imo - is over-rated relative to what he'd probably cost in terms of assets - and is an RFA this summer, who'd have to be re-upped, so there is contigency with this cap hit (and term) as well.

Market value - does anyone expect to get Wilson for less than a 1st?  Probably not realistic.   In addition - he fills a need in Washington that would be filled by whom in his absence?

I'd prefer to liberate Zack from that lottery champion gongshow in Deadmonton and bring him back where he belongs.

He has a couple years left at $2 million - and he's being wasted in Siberia, playing fourth line minutes (22nd in atoi there) and confined in his role.

I like the developments in Kass' game - penalty killing, better two way player who also stepped up when it counted.  Still no doubt has those fine hands, good speed, and that unpredictable edge of his.

Market value - does anyone think it would take anywhere near as much to pry Zack out of Edmonton?  In addition, Edmonton has it's Lucic, it's Maroon, Gryba, Nurse....And Zack has journeyed, meaning his perceived value is probably not in the same ballpark despite him being every bit the player Wilson is, every bit as tough, every bit as much upside.

Free Zack.  His true job should be scoring goals, making sweet feeds, playing good two way hockey, and of course, punching Coiler faces, not wearing that ugly jersey.

Image result for kassian eager

i kinda think it is in zack's best interests to have as much stability as possible in his life

things have been mostly working for him with the oilers

he had a fine playoff run last year

he should just stay where he is

he should not move anywhere and put his life back into upheaval

and why bring him back here where he has a history and old temptations

i'd be surprised if he was fully ready to move back here at this time

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

Yeah they sure showed him. Bottom 3 finish and 2 years later we still have 0 grit. Game, set, match.

but really no worse without him either

he demonstrated low professional standards

and when he did not get his way and was not treated with kid gloves

he packed his things and went back home

he appears to prefer to play in the khl instead of the nhl.. so he can just do that

i really fail to see how the team lost a lot in terms of character and long term commitment from this guy

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I just don't think that's a deal that makes sense for either side.

Baertschi may be a top 6 LW - 2nd line imo - but that is still 'middling' in my perspective and simply not a principle that is going to get Winnipeg talking, particularly with the quality, depth and youth they already have on their roster and in their system.  It's a non-starter imo.

And then there is the fact that Byf is 32 and approaching 33 - so you're looking at adding a guy that doesn't really fit this team's timeline moving forward, at a price that really should be spent on an asset that is much younger (if you're determined to do so).

I think Bogosian would make more sense from both team's perspectives - he may not be Byf, but he brings size and edge to the blueline, which is the principal concern in these transition years - with the potential to still emerge more.

But imo neither of those are the best options - from my standpoint, if you're going to add grit for grit sake make it a forward that does not deplete your blueline - defensemen ideally do not play this role, or it taxes your other 5 guys.

Why is Baertschi a middling talent? The only thing lacking in his game is physicality, and honestly he has a some pushback.

What do you thinking would get Winnipeg talking?
Buff does and he doesn't if you believe that this team is a contender within 4 years. He brings veteran leadership and physicality that is borderline unmatched in this league.

Having stalwarts on our blueline like Tanev and Buff, would be invaluable to the group of defenceman who are coming thru the system. Imagine if Tryamkin had a mentor like Buff? 

Not on the same level but whats your opinion on Muzzin? 

Also if we just want pure physicality with the ability to pot a few, Dustin Brown?

We have cap for the next few..

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i kinda think it is in zack's best interests to have as much stability as possible in his life

things have been mostly working for him with the oilers

he had a fine playoff run last year

he should just stay where he is

he should not move anywhere and put his life back into upheaval

and why bring him back here where he has a history and old temptations

i'd be surprised if he was fully ready to move back here at this time

I don't pretend to know what's in Zack's best interests.

I'm talking about a hockey move - the rest is speculation about his personal life, preferences, risks, etc.

Archived