The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

....Like walking naked through a snowstorm

darkpoet

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Wasn't Dorsett one of the guys trying to teach the kids to defend themselves? Even Crosby doesn't let people take liberties with him. I am worried if our young players need babysitters. Yeah we want toughness, but that doesn't necessarily mean fighting. Guys like Boeser, and Sven and Goldy should just push back when people try and pull stuff. Not look around for daddy Dorsett. If they need to, drop the mitts. Even the Sedins, albeit much later in their careers started scrumming it up if people got too touchy feely.

Agree.

People are foaming at the mouth for Pettersson to get into the line up and anyone who has seen this young guy would have to fear for him in a game for example against Columbus. 

Since Bo dropped the gloves and held his end up with Nurse I have stopped worrying about him but take a look around and we see a top 6 with little ability to do anything other than turn the other cheek.

I don't think the Caps part with Wilson and even a team who has won the SC recently has added Reaves to their line. If we lose Guddy now as well as DD we are pretty light and that's an understatement.

Who is going to step up and defend themselves in this team never mind a team mate. 

When Pettersson finally makes this team we better have a skilled player who takes no nonsense to ride shotgun on his line or he is in trouble.  

I think Archibald will fill in nicely once he is healed but we also really need Gudbranson back. Although we don't need "Enforcers" per se, we do need to up our over all team toughness. Teams seem to take less liberties when the team has a few tough guys in the line up. Even though I loved they way DD played, he did not really intimidate too many teams although he did contribute to the teams over all toughness.

Archibald played some pretty good hockey in the preseason and had some pretty punishing checks which would keep the opposing team skating with their heads up. 

The option I would choose would be to bring in the toughest guy from Utica, temporarily, until Archibald is healed and ready to play.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

yes, I'm aware of that - and there are no arguments about his history - but he's also older, more developed, more mature and not the same player - and I can only suspect the same may be the case with him personally. 

As a hockey asset, he's one that I like the price and fit of tbh - and always liked him as a player. 

I wouldn't hesitate to take another chance on him - I think he's revived his career - the rest I simply don't know enough about the current state of his personal life and I don't judge him on it, or his history.

My son is a die hard Oiler fan so I have to watch their games quite often. I watch Kassian closely ever game. He usually stands out IMHO. Answers the call with a physical game but has excellent speed, shot and above all passing skills.  On the downside one could suggest consistency. While he is often moved up and down the lineup based on his performance McClelland will cut his TOI at times. Zach usually responds with a better game. I thought his playoff performance last year stellar. He PK'ed then and still does. 

Yes, depending on the cost I would take Kassian back. As you caveated I am the same not knowing what his emotional makeup is. 

I was watching Columbus play the Ducks the other night and as most of you know Columbus is filled with young players along with guys like Foligno, Dubinsky and Jack Johnson. 

What struck me is not one of them had it in their DNA to take a step back - in fact they relished getting the first or the last push in, even against a team like the Ducks. This is imo a state of mind coached into them from the day they are drafted and I would suggest (and here is where we are found lacking imo) it is one of the aspects assessed by Columbus prior to drafting a player.

I'm not saying they are all fighters but they seem to push back as a given.

One young guy who impressed was Josh Anderson aged 23, RW. (ironically originally our 95th pick but swapped to NYI and then to the Jackets) 6'-3" 220lbs - 17pts +7 He played 18 mins against the Ducks on the 2nd line. Does anyone doubt that despite being a talented young player in his own right that Columbus was aware of this boys "attitude" This is what I constantly go on about on here and while we have picked up Gadjovic, I would suggest he is the only "gritty" prospect likely to play higher than the 4th line. 

Look at the character of this guy:

42 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think Archibald will fill in nicely once he is healed but we also really need Gudbranson back. Although we don't need "Enforcers" per se, we do need to up our over all team toughness. Teams seem to take less liberties when the team has a few tough guys in the line up. Even though I loved they way DD played, he did not really intimidate too many teams although he did contribute to the teams over all toughness.

Archibald played some pretty good hockey in the preseason and had some pretty punishing checks which would keep the opposing team skating with their heads up. 

The option I would choose would be to bring in the toughest guy from Utica, temporarily, until Archibald is healed and ready to play.

I don't agree, Dorsett maybe didn't put fear into the likes of Manson or Reaves but he had the desired effect on keeping the "Friday night heroes" who thought they could have a free cheap shot at one of our softer players with impunity, in check. Without him (and Guddy) there now, watch these guys crawl out of the woodwork. Some of our players will have to grow a pair, it should make for an interesting game although thankfully the Leafs are not a particularly bullying type of team.

Also I would imagine Martin is looking forward to a gore fest when we play the Leafs, with no one to keep him in line. And who knows what Kadri and Komarov will get up to.

43 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I don't agree, Dorsett maybe didn't put fear into the likes of Manson or Reaves but he had the desired effect on keeping the "Friday night heroes" who thought they could have a free cheap shot at one of our softer players with impunity, in check. Without him (and Guddy) there now, watch these guys crawl out of the woodwork. Some of our players will have to grow a pair, it should make for an interesting game although thankfully the Leafs are not a particularly bullying type of team.

Also I would imagine Martin is looking forward to a gore fest when we play the Leafs, with no one to keep him in line. And who knows what Kadri and Komarov will get up to.

The only sure thing to stop them is a fabulous PP for the Canucks.  That would seal their fate (and shut them the f&*% up.

One thing for sure, if the Canucks do make a trade for a tough guy, there will likely be +++ complaining about who is traded or losing a draft pick, etc.  Life goes on.

19 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

B )  Canucks already have the solution to their problem... his name is Tryamkin.

CDC has to come to terms with the fact that this guy isn't coming back. He said he's going to play out his 3 year KHL deal before making any other decisions, and frankly by that point in time I don't see who he's going to beat out for a spot. 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I was watching Columbus play the Ducks the other night and as most of you know Columbus is filled with young players along with guys like Foligno, Dubinsky and Jack Johnson. 

What struck me is not one of them had it in their DNA to take a step back - in fact they relished getting the first or the last push in, even against a team like the Ducks. This is imo a state of mind coached into them from the day they are drafted and I would suggest (and here is where we are found lacking imo) it is one of the aspects assessed by Columbus prior to drafting a player.

One young guy who impressed was Josh Anderson aged 23, RW. (ironically originally our 95th pick but swapped to NYI and then to the Jackets) 6'-3" 220lbs - 17pts +7 He played 18 mins against the Ducks on the 2nd line. Does anyone doubt that despite being a talented young player in his own right that Columbus was aware of this boys "attitude" This is what I constantly go on about on here and while we have picked up Gadjovic, I would suggest he is the only "gritty" prospect likely to play higher than the 4th line. 

Columbus is very high on him which is why contract talks were dragged out through the summer. It's obvious he is an important player for the Blue jackets. He's always been a tough player. The best part is he can score too.

15 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Why not just call up LaBate, Green knows what he can and can't do.

It costs us nothing, promote from within, It is an immediate short term solution

Because Utica is having a problem with their roster having too many vets. You can only ice a certain amount of veterans on an AHL team so with Goldobin and Virtanen up, I don't think they can call up more players.

20 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Some more Tom Wilson... just for giggles

He reminds me of Torres. I loved Torres when he was here. I think he got a bad shake from the refs with some of his hits because you don't see much *Scott Stevens in today's NHL.... but you absolutely HAD to keep your head up and eyes open when he was out there.

= intimidation and deterrent

Tom Wilson is a gutless puke with absolutely no respect for other teams' players.

19 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Because Utica is having a problem with their roster having too many vets. You can only ice a certain amount of veterans on an AHL team so with Goldobin and Virtanen up, I don't think they can call up more players.

So we call up LaBate to the Canucks from Utica and then Utica calls up a replacement for LaBate from Kalamazoo.

Promote from within, costs us nothing and is an immediate fix short term.

The thought of trading and/or giving away draft picks for an enforcer for a short term solution until Archie can get a chance is crazy. :huh:

10 hours ago, ohmy said:

I wonder what it would take to get John Hayden from Chicago.

24gp 3g 6a 9pts 60hits

Big power winger with a good shot that can definetly take care of himself. 

would not be cheap, and unlikely they let go of him, but good target for sure.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

We were a team like that at one point.

Not filled with "tough" guys, but had a lot of guys who were tough (if you get my meaning) 
Collectively, in 2011.... Alberts, Bieksa, Glass, Burrows, Hansen, Kesler, Rome, Rypien, Torres......

I mean that's NINE! guys we had on that team that could, and did, "push back" and/or in some me cases throw down with somebody.

That team was also HATED by just about everyone else. They were super talented but didn't often take ## from the opposition without responding. 

Someone brought up Gadjovich. I'm hoping that kid doesn't turn out to be "just a plug". He seems to be one of those kids that is tough as nails, but also has his head screwed on straight. 
The kid just turned 19 a few weeks ago and is already 6'2" 210 lbs.... that's like walking down the hall in your senior year of high school and seeing your dad, except your dad sits beside you in Math. 

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

would not be cheap, and unlikely they let go of him, but good target for sure.

Yeah I figured it would cost us but could we afford it? I guess the safe bet would be to bargain hunt for a stopgap player of that ilk but it sure would be nice. We will have players to fill that role in a couple years with Gadjovich, Lind, and possibly Macewan.  Not so much for fighting but for the size, skill, and strength. Although I know they can all handle themselves. 

Archived