The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo is still the heart of this team

*Buzzsaw*

We've had a lot to be happy about lately... with the young guys starting to shine.

Boeser, Pouliot and Goldobin are looking good.

But although the spotlight has moved away from #53 to some other targets, I still see him as the core member of this team.

It's especially noticeable with the absence of Sutter.

Bo is doing 4 jobs right now....

- Centering the #1 line

- #1 Faceoff guy... called in to take D-Zone draws for another line even when he has only had a few seconds break from his own shift

- #1 Powerplay duty

- Starter on the PK... and #1 threat to score shorthanded... keeps the other team honest or they pay

I'm gonna use the word Cherry likes to throw around... but this time it applies double:  He is a HORSE.

I think Bo's production has tailed off a bit with all the work piled on his back... not surprising.

But he is still the only guy, when the team is dragging its butt, and when it needs some inspiration, who has the physical strength and ability to pick up the team on his back by himself and inspire them.

Maybe he's not the natural goal scorer that Boeser is, maybe he doesn't have the finese of some of the new guys, but he has the heart and the strength to break through when things get tough.  And he won't be intimidated... you know he is not going to back down.  You can see that when he took on Nurse.

One of the reasons Goldobin is on his line is that Coach Green knows Goldy will get chances with Bo there... that goal against Carolina was manufactured by Bo in the corner with his strength and determination.

In some ways I would prefer to see Baerschi back with Bo and Boes... the line is not scoring as much as it was with the three of them.  But I understand why the Coach has this lineup... he wants to get Goldy going... and Baertschi works hard where ever his is... and he has something going with Vanek.

Just hoping Bo's injury is not serious... just a bruise I understand.

Hoping Sutter gets back soon, and I'm betting when he does, and Bo can go back to focusing on the #1 line and the PP, he and his line will get on another points roll.  B)

I'm glad to see you mention Baerschi in positive light.  

Some people have been saying that he's been "demoted" from the top line when it's clearly not the case.  

Bo's the new leader on the team and you can see it in the way he carries himself on the ice around the other players.  

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

We've had a lot to be happy about lately... with the young guys starting to shine.

But although the spotlight has moved away from #53 to some other targets, I still see him as the core member of this team.

- Centering the #1 line

- #1 Faceoff guy... called in to take D-Zone draws for another line even when he has only had a few seconds break from his own shift

- #1 Powerplay duty

- Starter on the PK... and #1 threat to score shorthanded... keeps the other team honest or they pay

I'm gonna use the word Cherry likes to throw around... but this time it applies double:  He is a OX.

I think Bo's production has tailed off a bit with all the work piled on his back... not surprising.

But he is still the only guy, when the team is dragging its butt, and when it needs some inspiration, who has the physical strength and ability to pick up the team on his back by himself and inspire them.

Maybe he's not the natural goal scorer that Boeser is, maybe he doesn't have the finese of some of the new guys, but he has the heart and the strength to break through when things get tough.  And he won't be intimidated... you know he is not going to back down.  You can see that when he took on Nurse.

One of the reasons Goldobin is on his line is that Coach Green knows Goldy will get chances with Bo there... that goal against Carolina was manufactured by Bo in the corner with his strength and determination.

In some ways I would prefer to see Baerschi back with Bo and Boes... the line is not scoring as much as it was with the three of them.  But I understand why the Coach has this lineup... he wants to get Goldy going... and Baertschi works hard where ever his is... and he has something going with Vanek.

Hoping Sutter gets back soon, and I'm betting when he does, and Bo can go back to focusing on the #1 line and the PP, he and his line will get on another points roll.  B)

Ftfy

If all the focus was on Horvat, this team would be scraping the bottom of the standings. I think he's the type that would rather not have all the focus on him anyways. He's still on pace to score just as much (if not more) than he did last year.

If you ask me, that puck handling he did last night to set up that Goldy goal was pretty skillful. THAT is the kind of stuff that makes him an absolute critical part of this team.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's the "heart" of the team... I think there's a lot of guys that show heart... but it's very easy to argue that he's our MVP. 

It's very close between him and Brock.

He's such a great leader on the ice. Unbelievable how that Cory trade actually ended up being even... kudos to Gillis.

"Dim" Jim (as others have called him) is right. Brandon Sutter is a foundational centre. He is neither flashy nor will he score 50+ points per season, but he is a player that will play 16-18 minutes a night and take away the hard matchups and defensive responsibilities from Horvat and Henrik (and in the near future, Pettersson and Gaudette). 

I applaud Horvat for taking on the extra responsibilities, but imagine how much more effective he would be if we had Sutter back.

13 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

- Centering the #1 line

- #1 Powerplay duty

I'm gonna use the word Cherry likes to throw around... but this time it applies double:  He is a HORSE.

Surprising because it seems like hes having a career year in goals and assist so far too.

Can you imagine a bo horvat with another year under his belt? Gives me goosebumps.

Archived