The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Eriksson for Bobby Ryan

rekker

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Two bad contracts. Ryan 7.25 for four more. Loui is 6 for four more.  Ryan is 30 years old.  Loui is 32.

Interesting, but NO.

Loui plays okay in all parts of the game.  Ryan is not much useful in any aspect.  

Both have 228 career goals, but Bobby did it 120 games less. Bobby also has a higher PPG. Under the right circumstances, he is a 30+ goal scorer 4 consecutive NHL seasons (Anaheim). Ryan hands down fam. We'd have to add.

That's not going to fly with Sens for now... Maybe after Eriksson's 6 million dollar bonus is paid for the 2018/19 season, which only leaves 14 million left for the duration of his contract (4 full seasons).

Ryan on the other hand would have 28 million left after the 2 million bonus is paid for 2018/19.

Actually, this is tough sell to Canucks owners lol

Hmm... I honestly wasn't sure about this one.  The proposal has its merits (Bobby's probably got more offensive upside and we would get the younger player, Ottawa would be able to remain competitive while shedding cap as a budget team) but there's also concerns (Bobby also costs more, we might need that cap space over time and Loui is the better defensive player still).

I would likely agree to it, would be great to have another big-bodied winger to impose himself on other teams.  Guys like Vanek and Ryan give other teams problems in front just because of their size and talent, and if Granny or Dowd can grow to fill Loui's two-way role (not unlikely for Granny to step up farther) then the loss of Loui would be reduced. 

I am honestly for this trade. Bobby Ryan is a big body. I feel like we have enough players like Eriksson that he doesn't really bring anything we don't already have. Ryan would also fit in nicely with the Sedins imo. Despite popular belief that they absolutely NEED a puck retriever they have proven to be good with anyone you stick on their line. He could possibly fill the role Kesler did on the PP, minus the faceoffs. I highly doubt this happens though. There's no telling if Eriksson would even waive for Ottawa, or if Benning would consider asking him to. Not sure if Ryan has a NTC either.

Eriksson has a full NMC. Why would he waive it to go to from one tire fire to another?

Although LE is cheaper, his contract is mostly signing bonuses, so it is lockout proof. Sens management probably won't like that, as cashflow will be an issue for them if there is an extended lockout.

Also, the last 2 years of Eriksson's deal are going to be easier to dump or buy out, as he's only making $4 mil per. Ryan's salary actually goes up to $7.5 next season, and stays there for all 4 remaining years.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Interesting, but NO.

Loui plays okay in all parts of the game.  Ryan is not much useful in any aspect.  

could see new life on a line with Bo? I dunno. Ryan has a better buy out, much better in fact so it could be worth a shot. 

10 hours ago, shazzam said:

That's not going to fly with Sens for now... Maybe after Eriksson's 6 million dollar bonus is paid for the 2018/19 season, which only leaves 14 million left for the duration of his contract (4 full seasons).

Ryan on the other hand would have 28 million left after the 2 million bonus is paid for 2018/19.

Actually, this is tough sell to Canucks owners lol

At first when I saw this proposal, I could see why it was suggested.  Both teams shake things up and get rid of contracts the fan base hates (even with taking on other ones).  Vancouver gets a slightly younger scoring big bodied winger.  Ottawa gets a more well rounded player and saves 1.25 million on the cap.

However Shazzam, you convinced me that this deal is bad for us.  With the structure of the contracts going in different directions, this deal ends up very costly for the Canucks and is definitely not worth the 50/50 chance of this deal helping us due to change of scenery.

Plus, as mentioned, I doubt Eriksson waives his NMC to go to Ottawa which is reeling.  I thought about maybe whether the Islanders would do a similar deal for Ladd, and whether Eriksson would want to go there...but I don't really see the Islanders doing that, nor is Ladd all that much better than Eriksson.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

could see new life on a line with Bo? I dunno. Ryan has a better buy out, much better in fact so it could be worth a shot. 

It's a 30M bet - he is still owed 4 x 7.5M in actual cash.  A buyout is more than 20M in actual cash because of the bonuses.  Eriksson has 20M left.  

Bobby Ryan was asked to drastically change his game under Boucher - his words.  He wrote an article in the Player's Tribune ahead of last year's conference finals where he explained that at the grocery store fans want to offer him advice to score more.  He says he's actually doing what the team is asking him to do and rather well, but that his new role does limit his scoring opportunities.  Maybe on a new team he would be used differently.  Before Boucher took over he had two seasons of about 55pts.

Archived