The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Ken Holland Could be the Next Canucks GM

Roberts

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

This better not be true.  Benning deserves an extension 100%.

Holland hasn't done anything since the salary cap came into effect.

JB will be signed. Linden is not going to disrupt the plan they have in place.  We are starting to get a decent amount of prospects for the first time. 

7 hours ago, khay said:

Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle would look amazing right about now on the Oilers. Those two wingers would allow the Oilers to ice, probably the best top 6 in the NHL:

Eberle-McDavid-Maroon (who cares who the third guy is)

Hall-Draisaitl-Lucic (big line with speed)

Larsson is a good defender, but I don't think he was worth Hall. And obviously, Eberle-Strome trade was a big failure.

I'm happy they hired Chiarelli. I hope they keep him longer.

Don’t forget they had that 1rst rounder after the Boston 3. Bruins gift wrapped Barzal to the Oilers but Chia had other plans as he shipped out the pick for Griffin Reinhart! 

17 hours ago, Drew.Doughty said:

Holland makes terrible signings

Trevor Daley for 3 years (aged 34)

Stephen Weiss 5 years 4.75 per

Frans Nielsen 5 years

He's actually worse than Benning. Plus, only reason why Detroit was good for so long was because they lucked out on so many drafts. Credit goes to the scouting staff, not Holland.

If Holland was here, we'd be in constant mediocrity, overpaying veterans and handcuffing our team. Benning should be our guy. He has a vision and everyone can see the blueprints.

Cant forget David Booth

I admit that I don't follow the WIngs much. Larkin was a solid pick. To a degree the Wings are a NHL darling and gets a lot of positive press. I really don't see enough to want him over Benning. Other than converting enough vets to picks and Prospects Benning has been doing to good job.  

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

More Vancouver media sh--! Do they ever stop trying to destroy this Club? People need to stop buying their products and start switching them off.

They are not the friends of this Club, you hear it all the time with their perfidious and crass questioning of the Coach and GM.

I think the most inside (in the know) guys would the the Play-by-play and color guys.  They spend a lot of time with the team.  Dave Tomlinson said some interesting stuff this morning on 1040 from his experiences while doing the color.  

17 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

No just on.

This smells of Aqua being delusioned about winning the cup with the Sedins without going through the growing pains required to build a future team. This is why I want the twins to come out and say they will retire or request a trade. This will stop our owners or heck even TL's delusion of Sedins being the saviors.

Remember, Aquas did not go through any sort of rebuild since acquiring the team. They are not used to or refuse to grasp the down cycle of sport franchises.

I think it matters little who is GM if the Aquilini's still insist on the rebuild-but-we-have-to-make-the-playoffs team. They are the problem. If you look at the worst performing teams in the league, it is overseen by the more meddling ownership. Edmonton, Buffalo,.....Vancouver.

I was very discouraged hearing one of the Aquilini's interviewed on the radio last year.  He gave every indication that he hasn't learned a thing. And you are right, the Aquilini's are "not used to or refuse to grasp the down cycle of sport franchises". All he talked about was that he looks at it purely as a business and the quarterly bottom line, like all his other businesses. He only looks ahead 3 months, let alone 3 years!

So if Holland, or any other GM for that matter, comes in as is given the quarterly review business pep talk as a precondition for the job, he will never succeed here anyways. It almost seems like the Aqualini's are satisfied with simply making any money on the team. Even if its a smaller profit than they could get down the road if they allowed their hired hockey professionals to do their jobs, at least it is a steady quarterly profit. They obviously still make SOME profit. Not just through ticket sales but merch and building revenue. It sure sounded like they'd rather have at least SOME steady cash flow ongoing, than risk really diving in the 'tank' for a few years for MAYBE a Stanley Cup.

19 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Holland has been talking about retiring for ages. If he was younger there may be something here but at his age I highly doubt he becomes The Canucks GM.

Heavy rumours in Vernon that Kenny and Brent Gilchrist are going to buy and run the Vernon Vipers after their owner, suddenly, died two weeks ago.  Not sure if that lends credence to this rumour or squashes it.

19 hours ago, Drew.Doughty said:

Holland makes terrible signings

Trevor Daley for 3 years (aged 34)

Stephen Weiss 5 years 4.75 per

Frans Nielsen 5 years

He's actually worse than Benning. Plus, only reason why Detroit was good for so long was because they lucked out on so many drafts. Credit goes to the scouting staff, not Holland.

If Holland was here, we'd be in constant mediocrity, overpaying veterans and handcuffing our team. Benning should be our guy. He has a vision and everyone can see the blueprints.

"He's actually worse than Benning" as if Benning has done much of anything to show his signings are overall terrible. Every GM in the league has one or two terrible signings to their name. Benning has one bad signing to his.

18 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Would reek of desperation and failure to commit to the rebuild by Aqua, by pursuing a big name.

Given how he's been as an owner that wouldn't surprise me though.

What rebuild? Signing Gudbranson, Eriksson, Vrbata, Miller, Sutter, Gagner, Clendening, ..... are not moves made to help a rebuild, they are plainly attempts to get into the playoffs. TWO draft picks (4 years) on the team, more prospects NOT on Canucks development teams, the team actually OLDER than 4 years ago.

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

"He's actually worse than Benning" as if Benning has done much of anything to show his signings are overall terrible. Every GM in the league has one or two terrible signings to their name. Benning has one bad signing to his.

Holland mortgages the future for the present. It's evident in all the trades he makes. Always trade draft picks and prospects for old veterans. Name 1 good trade/signing Holland has made in the past couple of years

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

True - ownership never wanted a rebuild but it became apparent in a matter of a year or two that there was really no choice but to do so. I'm pretty sure if they continued to insist on beating that horse that Benning's hands would have continued to be tied.

I am actually surprised about all the talk of Benning potentially not coming back.  I think getting rid of him would be a HUGE mistake and I can't believe the media is so reluctant to believe a contract extension is inevitable.

Benning has done a good job - especially considering his inexperience as a GM.  We went from having an aging team who couldn't get it done and almost zero prospects to a glut of quality NHL forward prospects in relatively short order.  In fact, we have so many forward prospects now that it is highly likely that we will have no choice but to move anywhere from one to three or so quality NHL forwards inside the next couple of years because we won't be able to play them all.  Since we are lacking in a quality D, MY prediction is that we're going to do exactly that and trade that glut of forwards to bolster the young dynamic talent on our blueline. That will take another year or two before that happens and the results are seen.  Assuming Demko becomes the goalie we all hope, that will mean strong talent in all three positions on our team and the rebuild will be more or less complete.  

If ownership can't see what is happening right in front of them, I will be most upset. This team is as little as a year away from being a playoff team, and about 3 years away from being true contenders again. That's roughly a 5 year rebuild - which is pretty darn good by any standards.

The counter-argument of spending a 2nd on Vey/Baer was that the odds for a 2nd rounder to make the NHL are actually quite low.  Canucks have Pettersson and Juolevi out of the 1st round and Goldobin.  Everyone else is 2nd round and beyond.  It's maybe overly optimistic to think that there will be an excess of NHLers.

Archived