The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini’s intentions with JB

Alflives

Aqualini’s plan for JB  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Letting Benning go at this stage would put Aquaman in the tier of owners barely above Melnyk.

Would depend on the replacement for me.

I think there’s room for improvement from Benning, although JB himself has been improving as a GM, so there’s less likelihood every day that any successor would perform better.

Certainly I’m underwhelmed (or outright terrified) by any of the rumoured replacement candidates. 

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Would depend on the replacement for me.

I think there’s room for improvement from Benning, although JB himself has been improving as a GM, so there’s less likelihood every day that any successor would perform better.

Certainly I’m underwhelmed (or outright terrified) by any of the rumoured replacement candidates. 

Problem is when he's doing a good job, the likelihood of the best candidate choosing Vancouver with rumours of ownership meddling is low.  There's also a pretty clear implied mandate that ownership is impatient and wants a quick fix.

Holland outright terrifies me.  Would rather become a Leafs fan than watch him destroy this team.  If you think Benning's trades and contracts are bad, Holland will make you reconsider your position.

Think about it folks. 

What idiot fires a GM who just had his second year first rounder go to the allstar game and win one of the skills. 

Then to top it off brings it to the game and wins MVP. 

P.S.  That first rounder was at the 23rd pick. 

As a rookie I might add. 

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Problem is when he's doing a good job, the likelihood of the best candidate choosing Vancouver with rumours of ownership meddling is low.  There's also a pretty clear implied mandate that ownership is impatient and wants a quick fix.

Holland outright terrifies me.  Would rather become a Leafs fan than watch him destroy this team.  If you think Benning's trades and contracts are bad, Holland will make you reconsider your position.

Yeah, agreed. Holland (at least in anything beyond a “special advisor” type of position) just scares me. Seems like he’s just lost the plot as a GM.

And pretty much every candidate that I’d consider is currently employed in the league and would need to either get fired or poached from their current job. And of the guys that fit that bill, I’m not sure how many would choose Vancouver over the host of other teams that might also be interested.

EDIT: I just noticed that this section in the intro/summary paragraph of Holland’s wiki page:

“In 2009 Holland was listed at #2 on Sports Illustrated's Top GMs/Executives of the Decade.[2] In 2017 hockey-graphs.com ranked him 29th out of 31 GMs in their NHL GM Report Card.[3]

Says a lot when a big portion of his main wiki description is used to detail how he’s gone from best to worst in the league in less than a decade.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If ownership is thinking they’re not extending JB, will JB be free to make any trades?  He might suggest trades of vets for picks/prospects, but (if the owners want JB replaced) will Aqualini rubber stamp deals that make us less competitive right now?  This whole situation is a tangled mess, that could be cleaned up by simply extending JB now.  The wait for the JB extension has me quite concerned (as it clearly does JB from his radio interview) about the future direction of our team.  

Not so sure any longer... find the whole situation a bit bizarre.

I am a firm believer that they should resign JB, but of this isn't gonna happen, they should get it over with now, so that somebody else can stamp his authority on the team. What the point of acquiring more picks by JB, if they don't believe in, what he is trying to achieve?

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Not so sure any longer... find the whole situation a bit bizarre.

I am a firm believer that they should resign JB, but of this isn't gonna happen, they should get it over with now, so that somebody else can stamp his authority on the team. What the point of acquiring more picks by JB, if they don't believe in, what he is trying to achieve?

That’s the issue @Warhippy pointed out.  A new GM likely means a change of direction in the rebuild from draft and develop to trading youth/picks for success now, and to heck with the future.  

With the club for sale.... and the value dropping a few hundred million..... stuck in 27th place for the last 3 years...

Next year looks to be just as bad with the decline of Hank and Danny......  Loui E  retired but still comes to the rink so he is paid. 

Great prospects but  still 3-4 years away........

FA is running out of patience and he pays the bills.....  

Someone is going to pay the price and it looks more and more  like it will be GM Benning

Is it just ?  Is it fair ?    Well, FA owns the club and its his money. He can do as he wants.

Hockey is king here in BC and the fans may not support JB's firing...  but we love the Canucks so much we will be there through thick and thin.

Life is cruel. So hard to be a Canuck fan. 

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

With the club for sale.... and the value dropping a few hundred million..... stuck in 27th place for the last 3 years...

Next year looks to be just as bad with the decline of Hank and Danny......  Loui E  retired but still comes to the rink so he is paid. 

Great prospects but  still 3-4 years away........

FA is running out of patience and he pays the bills.....  

Someone is going to pay the price and it looks more and more  like it will be GM Benning

Is it just ?  Is it fair ?    Well, FA owns the club and its his money. He can do as he wants.

Hockey is king here in BC and the fans may not support JB's firing...  but we love the Canucks so much we will be there through thick and thin.

Life is cruel. So hard to be a Canuck fan. 

You really think the Canucks are for sale? I don't see it yet but stranger things have happened!

If they do let Jim go, I think it will primarily be because of the Loui signing. Of all the stuff he's done since coming here, that was the standout screwup. Other than that any mistakes have been rookie goofs and minor oopsies that really don't amount to too much at all.

A couple more years should show how his long-term plans shape up. Ownership has gone through a long and profitable time in recent years, now we're looking at what will hopefully be short-term pain for long-term gain.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think it was @Warhippy who early on pointed out that a change in GM right now could indicate a change in the rebuild through the draft idea.  Hippy pointed out that those young guys coming along we are so excited about could be trade bait for a new GM, so he could get the team to make a small improvement now.  That’s a bloody bad scenario.  

If that happens, my loyalty to this team will be severely tested.

Having said that, I read somewhere recently that this last draft was run primarily by Judd Brackett, and watching the Canucks draft table it sure seemed that way. As a result, the suggestion was that Sir Linden would simply add the GM duties to his job while Brackett would simply continue as Director of Amateur scouting and maybe all player personnel.

If this were the case, there might not be any change in direction at all as maybe Benning has simply become redundant in the existing corporate structure.

I think Aqua will replace JB if the Sedins decide not to retire. He will try to have another guy come in and try to get this team back into the playoff (re-tool). If the Sedins retire, he will let JB see through this rebuild.

So really the Sedins should call it quits. They have over stayed their welcome. Nothing against them, it is just their mere presence on the team negatively influencing the state of mind of higher management (those above JB).

7 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Having said that, I read somewhere recently that this last draft was run primarily by Judd Brackett, and watching the Canucks draft table it sure seemed that way. As a result, the suggestion was that Sir Linden would simply add the GM duties to his job while Brackett would simply continue as Director of Amateur scouting and maybe all player personnel.

If this were the case, there might not be any change in direction at all as maybe Benning has simply become redundant in the existing corporate structure.

New GM will get  a  4 yr deal.  Thats lots of time  ( 2-3 yrs  )  to let the prospects develop slowly... 

Will not be hard for the new GM to have an improved season compared to this years Hot Mess...of a  year.

Nothing to worry about.  Just the hippy trying to get people in a tizzy here. 

Nothing will ever test my loyalty as a Canuck fan.   I cheer for the team regardless of the  management team or the owner.

Canuck fan for life. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Fan sentiment seems to be on his side (at least here).  From a personal standpoint, I doubt I'd be able to watch someone like Holland come in and butcher all of Benning's good work.  It would be Keenan-era bad, with the added bonus of the source of the team's misfortunes being impossible to fire.  I don't know if I could bring myself to cheer for another team, but ownership scrapping the rebuild would at the very minimum spend less time watching the Canucks.

Letting Benning go at this stage would put Aquaman in the tier of owners barely above Melnyk.

Totes

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

Ultimately at the "being a GM thing", there are arguably 3 categories which matter:

Contract Negotiations
Personnel Trades
Drafting

Of the three, Benning has really only excelled at the drafting aspect. There is no denying that Benning has a real eye for scouting and talent. His trading and signings have been pretty questionable.

I'd be more than okay if Benning was kept on as the President of Professional and Amateur Scouting, and someone with a bit more chops in terms of being able to manage player personnel decisions and contract negotiation was brought in as GM.

His trading is better than people are giving him credit for.

I can think of a couple he'd like to have back, but at the same time we were SOL with D depth when he had to move Forsling, unfortunate but what... should Subban have been given a shot when JB was being forced to carry on this "stay competitive" charade?

So yes, he lost the Forsling trade and Vey didn't pan out, just like 70% of 2nd round picks. So guess that's a loss too.

Not JB's fault that Vrb was such a hopeless, sulking pouter nobody wanted him. I can see some fault on JB's part for not getting the ball rolling a little sooner with Hammer though. That sucked.

IMO he's done a pretty good job trading. Sutter, Dorset, Baer, Granny and Pouliot are all good trades. They're the only ones that come to mind right now... 

The Eriksson signing is a massive stain though. Just terrible. I would like to see a contract savy AGM brought in to help him with, like, contract stuff, ya know.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

If JB goes, which I don’t want, I sure hope your scenario is the one that unfolds.

1 hour ago, ynwa said:

If they do let Jim go, I think it will primarily be because of the Loui signing. Of all the stuff he's done since coming here, that was the standout screwup. Other than that any mistakes have been rookie goofs and minor oopsies that really don't amount to too much at all.

A couple more years should show how his long-term plans shape up. Ownership has gone through a long and profitable time in recent years, now we're looking at what will hopefully be short-term pain for long-term gain.

The Loui Eriksson contract is really bad but it would be the 4th worst move for me. The Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers and Juolevi over Tkachuk/Keller blunders impact this franchise the most. We're talking about two 60 point U21 players that would've been future core players that Benning indefensibly passed on. Then you have the Kesler Trade which we came out with absolutely nothing that helps the franchise going forward.

Imo Benning will be let go. If he wasn't he would have an extension already.

I expect Aquilini just wants the season to end and make the announcements at the end of the year like past GM's let go.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Yup. They revamped their scouting philosophy and incorporated analytics and let Judd Brackett run the 2017 draft. Trevor Linden was gushing about Brackett's work in an interview afterwards. Brackett and Lars Lindgren are believed to be the ones pushing for Pettersson from the beginning.

With Judd in charge now, I feel somewhat confident they will make the right decision on the 2018 first round pick like they did in 2017.

IMO there is no need for Benning anymore who when you look outside of amateur scouting has been mediocre to terrible. We're talking about trades and FA signings here.

Archived