The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

On April 6, 2018 at 2:45 PM, JamesB said:

I like Leipsic and I am projecting him to make the team next year despite a lot of competition. But if he ever reaches the level of Burrows or Hansen we should be doing cartwheels. Both those guys were much more than just solid third liners. In particular, both Hansen and Burrows were stellar shutdown and PK guys. That is unlikely for Leipsic. Right now, I am projecting Leipsic as an "energy guy" who probably plays on the 4th line next year. I could see a line of Leipsic, Gaudette and Virtanen being a good 4th line, with good energy, good speed, good physical play and some helpful secondary scoring.

It was also unlikely that the undrafted Burrows and 9th rounder "stone hands" Hansen would reach the level they did. Leipsic has already shown much better hands than either one of them had demonstrated by his age. He has the tools to succeed, it all comes down to his motivation.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

It was also unlikely that the undrafted Burrows and 9th rounder "stone hands" Hansen would reach the level they did. Leipsic has already shown much better hands than either one of them had demonstrated by his age. He has the tools to succeed, it all comes down to his motivation.

hoping that he has a good off-season and comes back next season stronger, more motivated and driven. I think he can be a 20 goal guy in the NHL, 40 points for sure, 50 points is possible depending on his linemates as well. Anything above that, I don't personally see him getting to, but who knows, We like to pigeonhole players into particular roles. Leipsic I think has the offensive ability to be a 50 point guy in the NHL. That's a very good third liner, or a decent top six player. 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

hoping that he has a good off-season and comes back next season stronger, more motivated and driven. I think he can be a 20 goal guy in the NHL, 40 points for sure, 50 points is possible depending on his linemates as well. Anything above that, I don't personally see him getting to, but who knows, We like to pigeonhole players into particular roles. Leipsic I think has the offensive ability to be a 50 point guy in the NHL. That's a very good third liner, or a decent top six player. 

*That's a very good 2nd liner FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

He has his work cut out. TO moved on Vegas moved on. 

He showed some flashes in his games here  but if he is no better than Baertschi at his full development then it will not work out here. We need guys who are better than that to be part of the future. Up to him to do everything he can to get better. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Leipsic has not proven enough to secure anything but a longer look. Has some nice moves but consistency has to be established. 

much like any young player, right? consistency. once they establish that (if), then they become regulars on the team, and are more depended and relied on. We have so many young players - Goldobin, Leipsic, Virtanen, and then unknowns like Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, etc, etc. Only time will tell who rises and who falls. Hoping that Leipsic rises, of course, but we'll see come September and training camp how far, or stagnant these players have come. 

• Upvote 2

I liked his play to close out the season. I wonder if he is still unhappy about being traded to a bottom feeder, he didn't seem to excited at first. Perhaps that has changed given the minutes available to him and the opportunity to grow with a core group of guys. 

On 4/11/2018 at 9:13 PM, beni said:

I liked his play to close out the season. I wonder if he is still unhappy about being traded to a bottom feeder, he didn't seem to excited at first. Perhaps that has changed given the minutes available to him and the opportunity to grow with a core group of guys. 

That's the thing.  I have no idea how he felt initially, but he got way more ice time with us than he could have expected, and was given every opportunity to show us what he was capable of.  I believe he did just that.

I'm wondering if we saw him overachieve, but regardless I was impressed with what I saw most of the time from him.  He really does add some energy and speed to our lineup, and I personally felt he was the most intriguing acquisition between the 3 we got at deadline.

Edited by kloubek

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

That's the thing.  I have no idea how he felt initially, but he got way more ice time with us than he could have expected, and was given every opportunity to show us what he was capable of.  I believe he did just that.

I'm wondering if we saw him overachieve, but regardless I was impressed with what I saw most of the time from him.  He really does add some energy and speed to our lineup, and I personally felt he was the most intriguing acquisition between the 3 we got at deadline.

Heard Cory Hirsch talking on the radio about Leipsic.  He said Leipsic does nothing, when the team plays on the road.  He basically implied Leipsic disappears in tough arenas, and he would trade the guy if possible.  It's hard to tell from TV how a guy plays away from the puck, but (according to Hirsch) Leipsic fades away when the game gets rough.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard Cory Hirsch talking on the radio about Leipsic.  He said Leipsic does nothing, when the team plays on the road.  He basically implied Leipsic disappears in tough arenas, and he would trade the guy if possible.  It's hard to tell from TV how a guy plays away from the puck, but (according to Hirsch) Leipsic fades away when the game gets rough.

Interesting.  Leipsic seemed fine in games where there was more flow but it's not surprising that in a tight checking game, he would be far less noticeable.  Question is whether Leipsic can still do the things he needs to without the puck to help the team.  Never heard Hirsch's comments but it would seem that he doesn't think so.

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Interesting.  Leipsic seemed fine in games where there was more flow but it's not surprising that in a tight checking game, he would be far less noticeable.  Question is whether Leipsic can still do the things he needs to without the puck to help the team.  Never heard Hirsch's comments but it would seem that he doesn't think so.

Until I heard Hirsch's comments, I thought Leipsic was doing really well for us.  I thought he was a skilled pest, which we need.

13 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think he'd be fine once we can bump him down to a likely more appropriate, middle 6 role or at least have stronger middle 6 lines that allow him more shelter as a complimentary piece on a 1st line.

The expectations that he should be a 1st line play driver on a team with little secondary scoring threats are probably a bit out of whack.

Lepisic's addition to the lineup likely means that one of Baertschi or Granlund will be moved. I'm thinking Baertschi gets moved because he'll yield the bigger return of the two. And I also like Granlund's versatility as he's solid in both the bottom six and the top six, those kinds of players are tough to come by. Baertschi is either a top 6 guy or bust.

Either way, always happy with this trade and I'm pretty confident Leipsic will be a Canuck for a long time and will grow alongside the new core in the Post Sedins era.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Interesting. If he wants to have an NHL career, he better change that ASAP; there is no room anymore for guys who don't play their heart out in Green's system.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Interesting. If he wants to have an NHL career, he better change that ASAP; there is no room anymore for guys who don't play their heart out in Green's system.

That's Hirsch's view on Liepsic.  I don't know if I agree, but (I guess) Hirsch would know what a soft player looks like?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hirsch has gingervitis. Disregard his comments.

• Haha 2