The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

15 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Seriously?

3 goals and 9 points in 14 games. Before getting prime time with the Sedins for their swan-song, Gagner was on a 25-game goaless streak.

Fair point. I guess the sample size has me concerned. Eriksson was nearly a point per game for a 10 game stint or so. I'm just curious to see if Leipsic can maintain a pace similar to that throughout the year or not.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Fair point. I guess the sample size has me concerned. Eriksson was nearly a point per game for a 10 game stint or so. I'm just curious to see if Leipsic can maintain a pace similar to that throughout the year or not.

I think you are exactly right about the sample size concern. Even up I take Leipsic over Gagner simply because he is younger. As Van enters this phase of their rebuild Benning should have the opportunity of trading those players who are not in the long term plan. Development is critical as it adds value. Gagner is a known quantity whereas Leipsic has upside if he is given opportunity. That does not change the reality that either player could be moved. 

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think you are exactly right about the sample size concern. Even up I take Leipsic over Gagner simply because he is younger. As Van enters this phase of their rebuild Benning should have the opportunity of trading those players who are not in the long term plan. Development is critical as it adds value. Gagner is a known quantity whereas Leipsic has upside if he is given opportunity. That does not change the reality that either player could be moved. 

And Leipsic brings another gear of hustle, grit, etc... too

2 hours ago, nzan said:

And Leipsic brings another gear of hustle, grit, etc... too

Grit, hustle, showed good play making and had more chemistry with Horvat than Baer has ever shown IMO (even if Baer is more proven and arguably a 'better' player).

Absolutely it was a small sample size but that sample was promising.

That said, as discussed in another thread, I also wouldn't mind seeing him get a look with Roussel and Sutter, at least in the preseason. His play making might complement their play nicely (say what you will about Sutter and his offense but he's got a heck of a shot that could use some setting up) and his grit and hustle would fit in with them. And both Sutter and Roussel have exceedingly good defensive games that could compliment his occasional adventurous choices. Could be a nice fit.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Grit, hustle, showed good play making and had more chemistry with Horvat than Baer has ever shown IMO (even if Baer is more proven and arguably a 'better' player).

Absolutely it was a small sample size but that sample was promising.

That said, as discussed in another thread, I also wouldn't mind seeing him get a look with Roussel and Sutter, at least in the preseason. His play making might complement their play nicely (say what you will about Sutter and his offense but he's got a heck of a shot that could use some setting up) and his grit and hustle would fit in with them. And both Sutter and Roussel have exceedingly good defensive games that could compliment his occasional adventurous choices. Could be a nice fit.

At worst I see Leipsic as a fourth liner on a really good NHL team, if he doesnt make the team i think it is a mistake. He looked really good at the end of last year and is poised for a break out year (just turned 24). Has the grit to play up and down the line up as well.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

At worst I see Leipsic as a fourth liner on a really good NHL team, if he doesnt make the team i think it is a mistake. He looked really good at the end of last year and is poised for a break out year (just turned 24). Has the grit to play up and down the line up as well.  

Is he going to push Baer and Goldy?

38 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We've got a few guys with the ability to basically play all 4 lines.

None of Leipsic, Virtanen, Eriksson, or Granlund would theoretically look terribly out of place on any line, 1-4.

Goldy likely has to be top 6 (or 13), Gagner 2nd line (or 13).

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is he going to push Baer and Goldy?

I think so, he had good chemistry with Bo and Brock too. Goldobin had 31 points in 30 games in AHL last year, Leipsic had 51 points in 49 games in AHL two season ago when they were roughly the same age. 

12 hours ago, J-23 said:

I overrate him, but Motte. Are you serious?

Didn't mean to make Motte a direct comparable.  Only meant to say that he and the others I mentioned are likely to be scrapping it out as 13th (and possibly 14th) forward(s).  If you want to say Motte is guaranteed to be with the Comets, I wouldn't really argue.

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

Seriously?

3 goals and 9 points in 14 games. Before getting prime time with the Sedins for their swan-song, Gagner was on a 25-game goaless streak.

The caveat to that (and an argument about the sample size) is that he got 3 of those 9 points in a single, albeit outstanding game.  Basically, my personal recollection of his play was that he impressed early with that aforementioned game but never came close to duplicating that effort.  He was okay, probably better than Gagner, but now the lineup is a lot tougher to crack than late last season.

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

Seriously?

I think the Leipsic-Gagner comparison is a good one, here is why.

In his small sample size he score all 9 points in 6 games against non-playoff teams- NYR, NYI, Arizona, Chicago, Edmonton.

He went -8  with 0 points against playoff teams- Nashville Minnisota, Vegas, LA, Anahiem,San Jose

His -3 in 14 games pro-rates to -16.5 in 77 games similar to Gagners -18 in 74 games.

These are not the fancy stats but the olds school ones less favored lately, but they point in the direction the Leipsic can be a star against bad opponents and a no-show against good ones. I hope he improves.

I view Leipsic the same way I viewed Virtanen when everyone was doubting him- he has the skill and speed to succeed in the NHL.  Points will come and will come easier if he adopts a 2 way game like Virtanen has.  Ferraro described him as a 'darter' and that's a pretty good characterization.  As long as he helps the team/his line by being quick to pucks and keeping the puck in the o zone that will be a good development year for him.  I dont think he needs to light it up.   Just play to his strengths and hopefully points will start to come.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, Boudrias said:

Only on CDC can you have a player like Leipsic pencilled into a top line role. He hasn't even shown the ability to stick for a season yet. Hope he can but I am not jumping on any bandwagon.

Well he has played on the top line here and looked good doing it.  Plus it's always good to spread the wealth throughout the lineup, Leipsic and Boeser looked good together and that frees up a guy like Baertschi to play with Pettersson.  It's not as asinine of a thought as you make it out to be, Motte on the first line on the other hand...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Well he has played on the top line here and looked good doing it.  Plus it's always good to spread the wealth throughout the lineup, Leipsic and Boeser looked good together and that frees up a guy like Baertschi to play with Pettersson.  It's not as asinine of a thought as you make it out to be, Motte on the first line on the other hand...

There is a definite need for a top 6 left winger, Goldobin or Leipsic make the most sense as potential candidates to fill the spot for the time being. I think Dahlen will eventually fill that need in the future.

With what we have now in two years I think it looks like: 

Baertchi/Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Pettersson - Lind/Virtanen

Leipsic - Gaudette - Lind/Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Eriksson 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There is a definite need for a top 6 left winger, Goldobin or Leipsic make the most sense as potential candidates to fill the spot for the time being. I think Dahlen will eventually fill that need in the future.

Nota slight on your projection but is that the most expensive 4th line in NHL history? $12M fourth line....wow hope it puts up some points.

On 14.7.2018 at 12:25 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

I see Jonah Gadjovich on the team in two years from now. Most likely he will be slotted in on the 3rd line as LW. I think Gadjovich has an edge over Leipsic in terms of the two way game and the ability to win puck battles along the boards and in the corners. Could be a fierce competition between Leipsic and Gadjovich battling for the LW spot on the 3rd line.

On 13/07/2018 at 11:25 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Sorry but unless Leipsic, Gaudette and Lind/JV takes off like the wind, this will not be our 4th line. That line will get more than 10-12 min/ game. 

I don’t for a second believe both Baertchie and Goldy will be here in 2 years. Don’t think Neither is good enough for 1st line duties. 

More likely we draft or trade for 1 LW / C next year, and that will spell the end of either or both.

Also if Eriksson still omly capable to play 4th line W, they trade him off as well... simply no room for him on the team then.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:12 AM, -AJ- said:

I think this is a fair perspective.  If he really did score a projected 53 points in a full season, that's low-end 1st line production.  Now, I would be *thrilled* if he could keep that pace going, but I don't think anybody really expects he will or even can.  I completely feel you are right to be concerned about the small sample size.  

This season will tell us a lot about Leipsic's ability to score.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Sorry but unless Leipsic, Gaudette and Lind/JV takes off like the wind, this will not be our 4th line. That line will get more than 10-12 min/ game. 

I don’t for a second believe both Baertchie and Goldy will be here in 2 years. Don’t think Neither is good enough for 1st line duties. 

More likely we draft or trade for 1 LW / C next year, and that will spell the end of either or both.

Also if Eriksson still omly capable to play 4th line W, they trade him off as well... simply no room for him on the team then.

I don't think anyone believes that Baer is a 1st line W, but most see him as a 2nd, which means he has value.  If he is not playing for the Canucks, it will mean that he was traded for a player/pic that is a better fit on the team.  Goldy is still a work in progress and I agree that he will probably not make the NHL as a Canuck.  I don't think he has much value in a trade.

Eriksson has a terrible contract, but he is still a versatile player that provides the coach with many options. 

Leipsic has a lot to prove if he wants to avoid waivers.  14 games is not much of a sample size to show that he can play an entire season with the same energy or scoring ability.  Does management go all in with Leips at the expense of another player?

Other than Pettersson and maybe Hughes (i think he goes back to college), I don't see any other prospects making the jump at the beginning of the season.  Perhaps Juolevi later in the season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On July 13, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

Oh I really think Leipsic will get playing time, Green knows he has talent and grit...

I can see Leipsic putting up 19 -24 goals playing in top 6.... Guy has talent and grit..

Hope Grandlund and Leipsic get some quality playing time...

• Upvote 2