The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

4 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Did you see our bottom 6 production this year he is a asset..

Not saying he isn't a useful player - he is. 

But we have younger options with higher upsides that need consideration at this point in the franchise's development in my view.   

3 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

My sanity while watching our bottom 6 chase the puck around.

Well they could pick anyone unprotected but motte. :) 

I think they’d rather have Motte than a 3rd round pick.

I think you gotta pay more and have them take Holtby or Eriksson. That’s the kind of aggressive move I could see Benning make.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think you gotta pay more and have them take Holtby or Eriksson. That’s the kind of aggressive move I could see Benning make.

If we where getting like Hall or something in the off season I’d give Seattle Loui and a 1st to take Holtby. But if we can’t guarantee a big fish FA I wouldn’t 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I am usually onboard for most of your posts but just don't see the logic of giving up a 3rd for what you have proposed. More likely Loui goes to Abby and the Canucks save 1+mill on his cap hit for one year. I would just let the chips fall where they may; be it Holtby, or Gadjovich. In my interactive scenario I have: Boesser, Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, Motte, Pearson and Lind as the forwards protected. On D I have Myers, Schmidt and Juolevi and obviously Demko in net.

I doubt Virtanen is protected given his playing and recent off ice issues. Podkolzin is the guy to replace him.

Canucks need either a decent LD that can handle tough minutes if Edler is not resigned, or a top 6 forward not named Taylor Hall.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 2

20 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am usually onboard for most of your posts but just don't see the logic of giving up a 3rd for what you have proposed. More likely Loui goes to Abby and the Canucks save 1+mill on his cap hit for one year. I would just let the chips fall where they may; be it Holtby, or Gadjovich. In my interactive scenario I have: Boesser, Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, Motte, Pearson and Lind as the forwards protected. On D I have Myers, Schmidt and Juolevi and obviously Demko in net.

I doubt Virtanen is protected given his playing and recent off ice issues. Podkolzin is the guy to replace him.

Canucks need either a decent LD that can handle tough minutes if Edler is not resigned, or a top 6 forward not named Taylor Hall.

Agree, no Hall!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

If hall comes at not a premium price not sure why anyone would say no

Same reason we should say no to Hoffman, Kuznetzov etc = question marks about character.

Hall chose to sign with the bottom team in the league for one year to get a big contract (although knowing he'd likely be dealt at  the TDL), he's always been that player that's on the top line on a non winning team who in time gives up on him and/or deals him asap, that tells at  least me pretty much everything.

Also - not a "premium price" in this case is likely 5-7 mil a year. Hard no for me.

Edited by J-P

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

If hall comes at not a premium price not sure why anyone would say no

That is not going to happen.

He is a UFA so no retained salary this time around. Pretty sure he will be asking in excess of 5.5 mil and min 3 yr term for any team interested in his services. I would bet that LA or Anaheim are more likely destinations for him. La already has room for him and Anaheim is shedding a lot of salary in some aging UFA's; that even if re-signed, will be at a much reduced price IMO.

45 minutes ago, J-P said:

Same reason we should say no to Hoffman, Kuznetzov etc = question marks about character.

Hall chose to sign with the bottom team in the league for one year to get a big contract (although knowing he'd likely be dealt at  the TDL), he's always been that player that's on the top line on a non winning team who in time gives up on him and/or deals him asap, that tells at  least me pretty much everything.

Also - not a "premium price" in this case is likely 5-7 mil a year. Hard no for me.

Wow I’m sorry, Personally would never attack someone going for money they Deserve and trust me after watching him carry that dog crap team devils to the playoff he honestly deserved more money but he did the smart move of signing with a team that had cap space in order to get traded to a team that was contenting for the cup at half the rate. Didn’t seem petty or a character issue to me.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That is not going to happen.

He is a UFA so no retained salary this time around. Pretty sure he will be asking in excess of 5.5 mil and min 3 yr term for any team interested in his services. I would bet that LA or Anaheim are more likely destinations for him. La already has room for him and Anaheim is shedding a lot of salary in some aging UFA's; that even if re-signed, will be at a much reduced price IMO.

Ohh I know it’s unlikely but someone of his skill playing with our top 6 would add a lot of offensive. Let me imagine danmmit 

• Haha 1

Assuming the Canucks protect Motte, I suspect we'll see the Canucks give Lockwood a chance to play on the other wing.  I could see Motte-C-Lockwood being an incredibly pesky fourth line to deal with, and one which get chances.  The biggest question mark is who will play C between them.  Personally, I could see the Canucks bringing back Sutter on a significantly reduced $ contract (not sure if Sutter would go for that but also not sure how many options he will have) if Beagle is out all of next season.

Lockwood could swap in and out with MacEwen, assuming he remains Canucks property through the expansion draft and isn't otherwise traded.

59 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Wow I’m sorry, Personally would never attack someone going for money they Deserve and trust me after watching him carry that dog crap team devils to the playoff he honestly deserved more money but he did the smart move of signing with a team that had cap space in order to get traded to a team that was contenting for the cup at half the rate. Didn’t seem petty or a character issue to me.

Agree to disagree. I don't see him as the leader you seem to think he is and I believe the facts of his career so far supports that argument 

I'm not attacking him, just saying I would prefer us not to spend our precious cap on him, although he is of course a very talented player. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, J-P said:

Agree to disagree. I don't see him as the leader you seem to think he is and I believe the facts of his career so far supports that argument 

I'm not attacking him, just saying I would prefer us not to spend our precious cap on him, although he is of course a very talented player. 

Never claimed he was a leader but I feel like a team with 25 leaders arent a very good group to many directions.

On 5/27/2021 at 11:55 AM, Dats hockey said:

My sanity while watching our bottom 6 chase the puck around.

Well they could pick anyone unprotected but motte. :) 

what is it about Motte that he requires protecting?

I would be willing to lose one of Motte, Lind, Juolevi or Schmidt

Is it possible to rent out protection spaces?

(are there rules against that?)

that is the route I would like to see them go

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

40 minutes ago, lmm said:

what is it about Motte that he requires protecting?

I would be willing to lose one of Motte, Lind, Juolevi or Schmidt

Is it possible to rent out protection spaces?

(are there rules against that?)

that is the route I would like to see them go

that is definitely thinking outside the box. I like it. How much would you charge per space?

I hope the Canucks protect Motte.  IMO, he's got a lot of the hockey traits of Alex Burrows (without being an agitator).  I'd be all for giving Motte a shot at playing LW on a line with Petey and Boeser. I see him as a tenacious forechecker/puck retriever, defensively aware/responsible, skilled enough to give a lot more offensively, and capable of being a back up for face-offs. 

It took Burrows until his 7th year as a pro (4th in the NHL) and 206 NHL games under his belt having scored 22 goals and 30 assists to be given the chance to play with the Sedins, and look how that turned out for Burrows and the Sedins.  Motte is now entering his 6th year as a full time pro and has played 211 NHL games with 28 goals and 19 assists, and has shown he belongs. 

Call me crazy, but I think Motte would complement Petey and Boeser very well...so if Motte can elevate his play to stick with Petey and Boeser, it would create much needed 3-line flexibility for the Canucks. 

Maybe a line up as follows:

Motte (LW) -- Pettersson (C) -- Boeser (RW)

UFA Signing (LW) -- Miller (C) -- Podkolzin (RW)...maybe Blake Coleman or Zach Hyman or Zach Sanford/Oskar Sundquist (via trade)

Pearson (LW) -- Horvat (C) -- Hoglander (RW)

Roussel (LW) -- Sutter (C)-or-Beagle (C) -- Lind (RW)

Highmore (F)

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Vintage 1

On 5/28/2021 at 7:18 PM, AV's Coin said:

that is definitely thinking outside the box. I like it. How much would you charge per space?

here is how I think it would/would not work

Tampa has 5 D needing protection

you can't just ask them to give you # 4 for cheap because they then lose #4 to us and #5 to Seattle

so trade Schmidt to Tampa for Cernak and Foote

if Seattle picks Schmidt great

trade Cernak and Foote for a 1st + 4th, add an upgrade clause on the 4th if Tampa wins the Cup in 2022

if Seattle does not take Schmidt 

trade Cernak and Foote for Schmidt and a 1st (Tampa loses another player to Seattle)

Tampa protects 5 D-men for a late 1st

we potentially lose Schmidt and gain a 1st

we have enough space to do this twice 

we could end out losing Schmidt+Motte+ the player the Kraken pick from  our team and have 3 firsts+ 3 fourths in 2022 

or not lose Schmidt and /or Motte and gain 2 firsts

Edited by lmm

3 minutes ago, mll said:

So Tampa keeps the contracts they wish to move like Johnson but lose the players they consider core. 

It doesn't even help their cap - how are they even going to replace these guys given the roles they have.  

Tampa is probably one of the few teams that welcomes expansion - they need to shed contracts and Seattle is one of the few teams that can take cap for futures.  Teams typically protect their core.   Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev and Vasy per McKenzie.  

Hey MLL how do you like this one?

42 minutes ago, lmm said:

here is how I think it would/would not work

Tampa has 5 D needing protection

you can't just ask them to give you # 4 for cheap because they then lose #4 to us and #5 to Seattle

so trade Schmidt to Tampa for Cernak and Foote

if Seattle picks Schmidt great

trade Cernak and Foote for a 1st + 4th, add an upgrade clause on the 4th if Tampa wins the Cup in 2022

if Seattle does not take Schmidt 

trade Cernak and Foote for Schmidt and a 1st (Tampa loses another player to Seattle)

Tampa protects 5 D-men for a late 1st

we potentially lose Schmidt and gain a 1st

we have enough space to do this twice 

we could end out losing Schmidt+Motte+ the player the Kraken pick from  our team and have 3 firsts+ 3 fourths in 2022 

or not lose Schmidt and /or Motte and gain 2 firsts

On 5/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately we need top 6 players or at least the potential to develop top 6 players in prospects.

Lockwood and/or Highmore have the potential to replace what Motte brings if he’s exposed.

LOL Lockwood has played a whopping 2 games and Highmore is a scrub, all of a sudden their are replacing a blooming Tyler Motte, FYI had he been healthy was on pace to have 20 goals. Yeah, lets just fill our team with a bunch of prospects and miss the playoffs every year, but hey, theres still potential right? Might as well be called the Vancouver Sabres

On 6/1/2021 at 9:16 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

I hope the Canucks protect Motte.  IMO, he's got a lot of the hockey traits of Alex Burrows (without being an agitator).  I'd be all for giving Motte a shot at playing LW on a line with Petey and Boeser. I see him as a tenacious forechecker/puck retriever, defensively aware/responsible, skilled enough to give a lot more offensively, and capable of being a back up for face-offs. 

It took Burrows until his 7th year as a pro (4th in the NHL) and 206 NHL games under his belt having scored 22 goals and 30 assists to be given the chance to play with the Sedins, and look how that turned out for Burrows and the Sedins.  Motte is now entering his 6th year as a full time pro and has played 211 NHL games with 28 goals and 19 assists, and has shown he belongs. 

Call me crazy, but I think Motte would complement Petey and Boeser very well...so if Motte can elevate his play to stick with Petey and Boeser, it would create much needed 3-line flexibility for the Canucks. 

Maybe a line up as follows:

Motte (LW) -- Pettersson (C) -- Boeser (RW)

UFA Signing (LW) -- Miller (C) -- Podkolzin (RW)...maybe Blake Coleman or Zach Hyman or Zach Sanford/Oskar Sundquist (via trade)

Pearson (LW) -- Horvat (C) -- Hoglander (RW)

Roussel (LW) -- Sutter (C)-or-Beagle (C) -- Lind (RW)

Highmore (F)

Not crazy at all, in fact I predict he sneaks into the top 6 next season if they are gonna have Miller centering a line. Enough of this pigeon holeing of Motte being just this 3rd line energy guy. Hes blossomed ever since last season, took his game to another level in the bubble and had he been healthy was on pace for 20 goals-ish. Thats top 6 production by our standards so I don't see why he can't work his way up the lineup

• Cheers 1